Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Green Thumbs?

Default Green Thumbs?

Do we have any keen green thumbs on board here? I find spending time in the garden rather relaxing and have taken a real liking to Agave plants and succulents in general, anyone else interested in these plants at all?

Oh and Cycads, beautiful plants!

Hi! Just recently started a rock garden to put all my neglected succulents into.

Makes me happy to walk past it each day, the skinks like it too!
    Also a place for my rock collection 😊

The above photos are a few weeks old. Since then I have added a couple more succulents, changed things around a bit and put my old Black Earth aquarium substrate around plants. ��

Hey Jojo, got some nice stuff there, Haworthias, Sedums, Aloes, Echeverias, Kalanchoes, the top right plant I can't remember the name of but is the nick name 'Chalk Fingers'?

Wow you're good. I am hopeless with names of plants, even in my aquarium I have to write them down. Do you have any pics of your plants?

No pics on this lap top, have a few Haworthias, Sedums, Echeverias, Kalanchoes, Agaves, Yuccas, Aloes, Gasterias, Crassula, Euphorbias, Aeoniums.

I'll take some photos in the morning of some of the stuff I have, started as cuttings and just grew into masses over time and just cut them off and replant elsewhere.

Would love to post a photo of my cacti garden but it has rained and the weeds have sprouted. I'm scared of pulling them as the damage to my hands gets greater every year...Lol
    I used to have a beautiful large cicad but it had to stay in the yard of a house i sold. Love those plants also.

Yeah I have a lot of agaves too, a few cycads and some sun hardy bromeliads. Will get some photos

Quote Originally Posted by Madmerv View Post
    Would love to post a photo of my cacti garden but it has rained and the weeds have sprouted. I'm scared of pulling them as the damage to my hands gets greater every year...Lol
    I used to have a beautiful large cicad but it had to stay in the yard of a house i sold. Love those plants also.
    Not a fan of most Cacti, but the flowers when they do appear are unwell at times.

Yeah looking like we might get a decent shower down here in SA in the next few hours, wind is picking up, I'll get some photos of the Gasterias I have, some weird looking plants but cool though, have a couple nice small Agave also.

Quote Originally Posted by GregOz View Post
    Yeah I have a lot of agaves too, a few cycads and some sun hardy bromeliads. Will get some photos
    Really taking an interest in Agave, what do you have?

Currently have attenuata, victoriae-reginae, parryi, potatorum, some of the attenuata I have are huge, like 5ft tall, 3ft wide, look awesome, have a bunch of pups too which I'm thinking of either letting them grow together or pull a part and plant on their own, have 2 v-r, such a nice Agave when they form like a rosette, big fan of the parryi and potatorum as well, really want to get my hands on some others in pup form and watch them grow, even though they take ages, just really love the Agave plant, also a fan of Haworthias as well, have some nice little pieces, cool plants, I've noticed the Japanese go nuts over them and get right into collecting them also.

I've noticed we have a lot of american around town, also found a varigated one so wouldn't mind grabbing a couple pups off of that also.

This is the only such item I've got..... So far it's going well on general neglect and freezing overnight temperatures....wonder whether I should be careful of the frosts?? Can anyone ID this one? I have lost the piece of paper that it comes with.

image by Reb El, on Flickr

Should be fine with frosts, although I have no idea what it is, how's the colour!

Quote Originally Posted by GotCrabs View Post
    Should be fine with frosts, although I have no idea what it is, how's the colour!
    It's some sort of graft on top of a green looking cactus. Will post some more pics.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast