Thread: Long worms ID

Default Long worms ID

Hello dudes, it seems that new things are constantly popping up in my tank. Any idea what those two types of worms are?

Type 1: relatively short, fat worms. Usually hide beneath the gravels, sometimes stretch out the first third of the body (greyish and semi-transparent, fat) and twist/wave back and forth.

Type 2: dark red, very long and thin, popping up the first half and mostly remain static in the water.

There's a third type, which I presume is the blackworm: black/grey, long and thin, usually show up the head from the gravel and constantly probe surroundings before dig into gravels again. Never stay static in the water like Type 2 worms.
    Last edited by melbournetank1; 20-04-17 at 11:43 AM.

Hi. I think pic 1 is a planaria (planarium?) but not altogether certain, type 2 is either going to be blackworm or tubifex. I regularly see planaria and blackworms but never magnified this much. Blackworm can be variable in coloration pale to red.

Thanks for the reply dude, type 2 is probably one of the two, though which one is hard to say, more likely they are 'red' blackworms I guess. Type 1 is not a planaria, because it doesnt have the distinct head structure on planaria worms. It has nothing on either end, no head, no sucker etc.. Planaria worms also do not twist/wave from the gravels, which this worm does in a digusting way. Neither worm is harmful to other inhabitants in the tank though.

Solved. The first worm is a leech in juvenile stage. Caught an adult today with a clear sucker on its head. Didn't know leeches could hide in gravels before.

Did it look like this? http://www.aquariumlife.com.au/showthread.php/66553-Snail-Leech-D-E-V-I-L-S-P-A-W-N don't know why, but they gross me out so much. I have some better pics of shrimp killing planaria somewhere, ill try to find and update, watch out for those ones.

No, it doesn't look like this one. The adult I caught was red in color, roughly 3-4 times the width of a blackworm (type 2 pic), and has a sucker at its head. However, it could have been a snail leech, because I practically dug it out from gravels using my hand, it didn't bite me, and an empty shell of a ramshorn snail was found previously.

Caught another two yesterday. When they grow up they turn red.