Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Leaking Up-Aqua Atomizer

Araldite!!

yah probably the best option, loctite or just superglue?! or Araldite?! Purchased to must stuff lately for these dam fish tanks :P

My wyin mini reg runs at 50psi... none adjustable

hmm... Not sure. Epoxy is slower healing AFAIK. IME, normal superglue has been water tight when I built my reactors and glues on nipples etc on them. But the pressure is much much less though. Maybe ask sweefu what he used.

I had 10 large boxes of aquarium stuff (in addition to the tanks) when I moved. My shed is almost 50% aquarium stuff. It's out of control as I recently bought some stuff thinking I didn't have some, then found some extras I had stored away in the shed...now I have 200% of that stuff which I have stored in the shed for a rainy day.......

I used Araldite which worked very well.

I screwed the fitting into the atomiser just 1-2 turns and then covered the entire threaded section in Araldite.

Screw the fitting shut (only just barely finger tight) and you should have a nice thick bead of Araldite spilling out and around the seam, completely sealing it.

I actually held the fitting for the first 5 min while it set, rotating it to make sure the Araldite dried in a nice neat bead around the seam, not dripping down the side of the atomiser etc.

This worked perfectly, and it will never leak again.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    hmm... Not sure. Epoxy is slower healing AFAIK. IME, normal superglue has been water tight when I built my reactors and glues on nipples etc on them. But the pressure is much much less though. Maybe ask sweefu what he used.

I had 10 large boxes of aquarium stuff (in addition to the tanks) when I moved. My shed is almost 50% aquarium stuff. It's out of control as I recently bought some stuff thinking I didn't have some, then found some extras I had stored away in the shed...now I have 200% of that stuff which I have stored in the shed for a rainy day.......
    lol i know your pain, just yesterday my partner said "will the floor every be clear of fish tank stuff" my study is basically full of random bits and pieces for my tanks, only one more to scape... hopefully this long weekend, then I may clean up and organize some stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by sweefu View Post
    I used Araldite which worked very well.

I screwed the fitting into the atomiser just 1-2 turns and then covered the entire threaded section in Araldite.

Screw the fitting shut (only just barely finger tight) and you should have a nice thick bead of Araldite spilling out and around the seam, completely sealing it.

I actually held the fitting for the first 5 min while it set, rotating it to make sure the Araldite dried in a nice neat bead around the seam, not dripping down the side of the atomiser etc.

This worked perfectly, and it will never leak again.
    Cheers guys, looks like araldite is the way to go.

So I dont recommend wrapping the thread with thread tape... ended up cracking the body! I only noticed today after my drop checker would not get to a nice lime yellow, was only staying dark green, I swapped it out for a brand new unit and all is good again, I guess opening these to clean is not recommend as it seems they never get a good factory seal again... will glue the other leaky unit I have and hope the 3 other units I have dont start to leak.

I'll take a picture of mine when I get home, Araldite can definitely fix that.

But I agree these units have a design fault. I'm keen to test out the $10 alloy diffuser from eBay.

Quote Originally Posted by sweefu View Post
    I'll take a picture of mine when I get home, Araldite can definitely fix that.

But I agree these units have a design fault. I'm keen to test out the $10 alloy diffuser from eBay.
    Dont think I will bother fixing this one but would like to seal up the other leaky unit, I have 2 more spare un-used units, since they are $20 of ali express I purchased 5 (much cheaper than the $50 my LFS wants) I have one on my bookshelf tank which I am pretty sure I have cleaned before and still seems to be keeping a good seal, then 1 each on my little ista filters for the two tanks in my study.

I almost purchased one of the alloy diffusers but the way the tube needs to be aligned (horizontally) doesn't suit any of my setups, I guess I could install the alloy diffuser horizontally (so the outlet/water pipe runs vertically) and not use the in-built drop checker... assuming it will still push co2 thru horizontally?!

Haha this is gold.

Haha this is gold.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12