Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leaking Up-Aqua Atomizer

Default Leaking Up-Aqua Atomizer

Hi guys, I know these units can be hit or miss but generally I havent had a problem, but today I noticed a noise coming from my inline atomizer (new "replaceable" diffuser type) and tested it with a bit of washing liquid and missed with water and it was bubbling from the joint pictured below, swapped it out for a new unit and same problem, perhaps ive never noticed this leak and they have always had slow leak from this area... still would like to plug it, I am thinking wrapping the thread on this joint with thread tape.

Anyone else had problems with leaky units and worked out a fix? I have tightened the joint in question with a wrench and it couldn't really get any tighter without possibly cracking the unit.

For now I am just running the leaky unit but it seems to be taking about twice as much co2 to get yellow dropper (no livestock)

Looks like a compression joint, so wrapping the thread may not help. Is there a rubber washer or cone inside the nut?

here is a photo i found on google, there is a rubber washer that sits on top of the ceramic diffuser, will double check the washer is in place tomorrow, also dont see how thread tape could hurt anything?!?!? Have heard that putting thread tape on the regulator joints etc is a no no as it could get stuck in the regulator.

The leak is coming from one of the threaded outlets on the bottom right of the photo below

Last edited by doylecolmdoyle; 16-04-17 at 09:14 PM.

Pull out the fitting and check for cracks, mine split apart through the threads of the fitting.

I just glued it in permanently to fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by sweefu View Post
    Pull out the fitting and check for cracks, mine split apart through the threads of the fitting.

I just glued it in permanently to fix it.
    Will double check, one unit (currently on the tank) is brand new and still has the slight leak, I found this photo online, shows a rubber washer on the thread right where I have the leak, the unit didnt come with this washer, may head to bunnings tomorrow and pick some up and give it a go with a rubber washer in place.

EDIT - actually it does have the washer... doesn't look as big tho... no cracks, the thread looks good, will try thread tape :P
    Last edited by doylecolmdoyle; 16-04-17 at 09:28 PM.

It's also worth removing the washer to check for cracks underneath. I've also got a spare washer if you need one, I can send it to you.

there's lots of debate on this forum about thread tape, like you said in terms of regulators.

In this case, the seal is created by the rubber seal and so this is what you should be trying to rectify.

Another factor could be too much pressure. Those atomisers need a shitload of working pressure to operate, but it's a fine line between that and breaking the damn things. You may find a small imperfection in the plastic could blow open once you've fixed the leak. I always try operate gas at the lowest possible pressure and i think these atomisers are around 60psi - just check that you're not running higher than what's needed for your particular piece.

(i feed my gas into an inline reactor so doesn't actually need much working pressure at all - it sits just under 40psi)
    [sigpic][/sigpic]
    We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors,
    We borrow it from our Children.

The other thing to worry about with thread tape is cracking the light duty plastic these things tend to be made out of.
    Try with just one or two wraps first then slowly build up the amount of tape.

It seems to me that the washer should be a flat design for maximum air tightness?? Why would you use a cylindrical design in this case?

yah seems a flat washer would work better, I totally forgot to get washes when I went to bunnings yesterday, got some gas thread tape tho and wrapped the thread twice, will test it out shortly and look for leaks.

I ended up sealing mine shut with epoxy resin, both the threaded fittings were badly split, so I figured it was more or less a throw away piece anyway. The downside is you can only clean it with a pipe brush, so the ceramic diffuser might eventually become clogged. Considering the cost and how long that will take to happen on a filter outlet pipe, I think sealing it permanently shut could be a good option.

Maybe a bleach or vinegar bath will fix it. That was how we cleaned the old ones yes?

Both fittings were split? I reckon it's a design fault. They do release beta versions of these things and make us troubleshoot. Makes me a little annoyed.

Added the gas thread tape to the top and bottom threads, still leaks from the top, I wrapped the thread twice, will wrap a bit more and see if that helps, its a pain to remove the atomizer each time so I will remove and retape it out when I can be bothered in a few days.

i highly doubt it's gonna do anything to fix the problem. you'll end up stripping or breaking the thread before creating a 60psi stopping seal.
    [sigpic][/sigpic]
    We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors,
    We borrow it from our Children.

Time to break out that super glue bottle.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast