Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Chihiros RGB Discussion

Default Chihiros RGB Discussion

Very interested in your thoughts on the RGB light. It's certainly a good design/price/brightness etc.

I extracted these posts from my other thread, much better place to have this discussion. - SOLOMON
    Last edited by SOLOMON; 06-04-17 at 06:55 AM. Reason: Cleaner this way

Better not be holding out on me mate...

I am considering the chihiros white led setup for my next project. (Cant stand the rainbow colours).

Where'd you buy the tank and lights?

As an aside, the name of these lights always remind me of the cult classic, spirited away.
    [sigpic][/sigpic]
    We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors,
    We borrow it from our Children.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    Very interested in your thoughts on the RGB light. It's certainly a good design/price/brightness etc.
    I'll post about it once I get it. I think it should be sufficient for such a shallow tank.

Quote Originally Posted by PiL View Post
    Better not be holding out on me mate...

I am considering the chihiros white led setup for my next project. (Cant stand the rainbow colours).

Where'd you buy the tank and lights?

As an aside, the name of these lights always remind me of the cult classic, spirited away.
    I hope the colours mix and look white, one of the review videos looked really good.

The light is from Hinterfield (AUS importer of Chihiros), I was going to buy off ebay, it was basically the same price and hopefully an AU plug?

The tank was just from Hunter Pets which was closing down and I bought impulsively. I should have got a bigger one.

Well I'll be interested in the light then.
    I think im after the a601, but if the rgb one looks good i might be swayed.

My next tank will be 60x45x45.
    [sigpic][/sigpic]

Well I'll be interested in the light then.
    I think im after the a601, but if the rgb one looks good i might be swayed.

My next tank will be 60x45x45.

We'll see how it performs, WHEN I GET IT!!! CMON AUS POST!!!

this is the video I was referring to:

i hate these types of videos. so much droning on about crap. get to the good stuff !!!

and for someone who loves box pics, i hate "unboxing" youtube videos... i mean c'mon. seriously?
    [sigpic][/sigpic]

Interested in the light - especially if the RGB is a bright as the white (which they never seem to be) - I guess to make the colours you are cutting out 2/3 of your light intensity (e.g. dropping red and green to get blue) but when you are near white is the RGB with most phosphors powered the intensity of a white? I have the white Chihiros series A and find them a little yellow-green. It would be great to be able to tune the spectrum.

Quote Originally Posted by Grubs View Post
    Interested in the light - especially if the RGB is a bright as the white (which they never seem to be) - I guess to make the colours you are cutting out 2/3 of your light intensity (e.g. dropping red and green to get blue) but when you are near white is the RGB with most phosphors powered the intensity of a white? I have the white Chihiros series A and find them a little yellow-green. It would be great to be able to tune the spectrum.
    RGB is definitely lower PAR than the A series. Someone in UKAPS already did the comparisons. Need to dig up that link.

Agree with the colour comment with regard to the A series. I have two Chihiros knock offs (Yes the Chinese did a knock off) and a original chihiro. Overall the colours are slightly greenish although still very crisp and far too bright to any sane person to use at full power.

RGB is definitely lower PAR than the A series. Someone in UKAPS already did the comparisons. Need to dig up that link.
    this one https://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/...f-light.43178/?

seems like the verdict is less powerful, but shouldn't really matter on my tank, its not deep.

Thanks Solomon,

Here is the verdict. I think the PAR values are really good! It says slightly blue predominant....I am so tempted to get one for my 60cm but I'd need two.

Chihiros RGB

Coments:
    - Watts were measured with a power meter, as you can see is not very accurate... I would say the light is about 40W (not 50W as claimed).
    - The color is very nice, well balanced, but slightly more power to the blues.
    - Diffuser is not well fitted and deforms to wave form. Doesn't affect light diffusion, but... (could be better).
    - Heats much more than other Chihiros (Serie A), at max power (40W in 57cm).
    - Manual dimmer works perfectly and is calibrated!

I was hoping you could adjust the spectrum but I gather no. Does look nice though.

greenish yellow light ? Gah that sounds yuck.

and i guess i'll wait and see what the RGB model looks like after solomon gets his. i think it'll have that rainbowy effect though so we'll see...

might have to go back to the good ol petworx. the colour is fine over my 4' - maybe the strip of blue is what kills off the yellowy green you guys are seeing
    [sigpic][/sigpic]

greenish yellow light ? Gah that sounds yuck.
    might have to go back to the good ol petworx. the colour is fine over my 4' - maybe the strip of blue is what kills off the yellowy green you guys are seeing
    The slight colour cast is not bad at all. Maybe the blue does hide it a little. I have two stripts of red and blue which I will experiment with soon. My Chihiro (knock offs!) have four strips of light and I am tempted to replace one with alternating red/blue led strip.

Yes the Chinese did a knock off
    Mine were cheap on ebay but sold as Chihiros. I thought they were a knock of of an ADA light. - how do you tell the knock off from the knock off of the knock off? (not that it matters as the plants grow and the light is on)

Quote Originally Posted by Grubs View Post
    Mine were cheap on ebay but sold as Chihiros. I thought they were a knock of of an ADA light. - how do you tell the knock off from the knock off of the knock off? (not that it matters as the plants grow and the light is on)
    Do you have a link to these?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast