Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 60p Nature Scape

Default 60p Nature Scape

Hi all, I am in the planing stages for my 4th tank at home (in a 80sqm apartment) I need to keep it small so I have settled on the 45p. Have purchased a few items, let the planning phase begin... Any advice on equipment would be good, I will start listing stuff below, its always handy for me to refer back to this thread when I am buying equipment and plants online!

Tank - 60p Fire-Aqua 60x31x36cm
    Filter - Ista External Mini Canister Filter 360lph
    Heater - probably none / will deal with that when its winter
    Co2 - via UP Aqua In-Line Atomizer 12/16mm
    Light - 60cm Chihiros A-Series Plus

I like the wire / adjustable stand of the light above as I want to try get some emersed growth on some golden vine wood / drift wood going on.

I am not 100% decided on what route to take for the scape / planting... one part of me wants to try fast growing stems / semi dutch scape, the other half wants to keep it simple. Someone posted this photo on the forum which I really love... I think I am going to try something very simular, I wont be able to get that same height with the 45p only 30 cm tall... but I mite have of the wood coming up out of the water and try grow some emersed plants

The hunt for plants in WA starts, I am looking for

Flame Moss
    Narrow / Needle Java fern
    Monte Carlo
    Anubias Nana Petite
    Various Buce
    Some kind of stem plants, can someone identify the red stems and taller (central) green stems used here

Thanks
    Last edited by doylecolmdoyle; 20-03-17 at 10:01 PM.

I have monte carlo if your interested. It's growing in a seedling tray, but adapts to water quickly enough.

the red in the pic is rotala wallichii, not sure about the green stem

Following with interesting as I am also thinking of rescaping my 38L tanks. Very nice equipment list.

Sorry if you don't mind me asking... why have you decided on the Ista external filter?

I have been thinking of an external canister filter for my 38L tanks and while the Ista has came up on my research, I am drawn towards the Aqua One Ocellaris 400 which has lower power consumption and larger filter media capacity compared to the Ista, but I couldn't find any user review or further information other than the operating manual.

Just thought I'll ask if you have any experience with any of the small canister filters. Thank you.

Well mate when are you picking up plants.
    I have for free Flame moss, NLJF, and MC. The MC is sitting in a tub and has been for about a week so soon would be good.
    Pm me if you are interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantrasy View Post
    I have monte carlo if your interested. It's growing in a seedling tray, but adapts to water quickly enough.

the red in the pic is rotala wallichii, not sure about the green stem
    Cheers Dan, will have to track down some Rotala Wallichii, I am wondering how it is planted in that photo, mite try soil in stockings and poke stems in...

Quote Originally Posted by Madmerv View Post
    Well mate when are you picking up plants.
    I have for free Flame moss, NLJF, and MC. The MC is sitting in a tub and has been for about a week so soon would be good.
    Pm me if you are interested.
    Merv that sounds great, NLJF seems the hard one to track down, I could come collect this weekend if your free, I do have a fair bit of MC myself so that isnt critical but extra would be handy, will drop a PM

Quote Originally Posted by jc12 View Post
    Following with interesting as I am also thinking of rescaping my 38L tanks. Very nice equipment list.

Sorry if you don't mind me asking... why have you decided on the Ista external filter?
    jc12 I went with the ISTA filter as I am already using one on my 2ft aquarium and it works well, I didnt even know that the Aqua One filter was available, about a year ago I search for small canisters and that ISTA and Eden was all i could find in AUS. The Aqua one does look good but I have already purchased the ISTA filter :P
    Last edited by doylecolmdoyle; 07-02-17 at 04:52 PM.

Proserpinaca palustris is the coloured stem I think looking at the leaf structure. Sweet plant.

Think about using trident instead of narrow leaf. Shorter leaf structure. I have weeping, flame and Fissendens moss if that will help.

Tim.

Quote Originally Posted by mundi View Post
    Proserpinaca palustris is the coloured stem I think looking at the leaf structure. Sweet plant.

Think about using trident instead of narrow leaf. Shorter leaf structure. I have weeping, flame and Fissendens moss if that will help.

Tim.
    Good tip on the Trident, now to try find some! Tim would love to grab a little of all those mosses, I will be in touch.

Tank and light have been purchased, the light will probably take weeks to arrive from china I will pickup the tank and hopefully some wood from Aquarium Gallery Perth this weekend.

I am thinking I will "plant" some of the MC and Stems into wabi kusa balls (ADA soil in a stocking Im thinking) so they can be perched up onto some drift wood as per my inspiration scape.
    To stop the soil spilling out I guess i should wrap the ball / stocking in moss, it seems sphagnum moss is used for tradition wabi kusa... can that type of moss be submerged? I will let them DSM a for a while to establish. It looks like "The Ice Man" from UKAPS had success using wabi kusa his scape here - https://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/...t.34167/page-4

I think the traditional Wabi Kusa style is using sphagnum because of it's wicking ability. It will draw water from the bottom of the ball and deliver it to the top that is emersed, This is something i have done in my garden for years especially with hanging wall plants. If you are going to use it fully submerged i dont beleive it will matter much but it might slowly break down over time as it will not be alive.
    Getting MC roots into a stocking will be a challenge. I would love to see some close up photo's of your trials (and errors if you have any) to see how you go.

Quote Originally Posted by Madmerv View Post
    I think the traditional Wabi Kusa style is using sphagnum because of it's wicking ability. It will draw water from the bottom of the ball and deliver it to the top that is emersed, This is something i have done in my garden for years especially with hanging wall plants. If you are going to use it fully submerged i dont beleive it will matter much but it might slowly break down over time as it will not be alive.
    Getting MC roots into a stocking will be a challenge. I would love to see some close up photo's of your trials (and errors if you have any) to see how you go.
    Thanks for the info Merv, no trails yet, just doing some research, I will document my trials (and errors) when i get the chance to try create some balls, perhaps stockings is not the best route and I will try a more traditional approach.

Pretty sure Edward in our forum used stockings to create height etc. Should be ok unless you are planning on suspending them etc. Once the roots get through, it will become more supported...

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    Pretty sure Edward in our forum used stockings to create height etc. Should be ok unless you are planning on suspending them etc. Once the roots get through, it will become more supported...
    Hi Rebel, yes I want to suspend them in the driftwood, kind of like how the MC is perched up in this scape also I want to try do the same with some stems so they dont have to grow from the bottom of the tank, kind of want to suspend them up for extra height, I guess I need to get my hardscape etc and start playing around.

I see. You can certainly use wabikusa techniques and dry start them separately and plonk them in later, once established.

I picked up the little 45cm fire aqua tank today, must say for 80 bucks the quality looks nice, 6mm glass sapphire glass. Also picked up some wood (vine wood?) was the only piece they had that fit this tank, I would like to get a few more individual pieces to fill it out some more, grabbed some small bags of la plata sand and some fine ada soil.

Also visited Merv (thanks again), he donated some Needle Leaf Java, flame moss and some MC, I checked out his outdoor native tank, was very cool, the perch looked very happy!

IMG_7860 by Colm Doyle, on Flickr

Fantastic wood!

Great deal on the tank too. Very keen to see this come together

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast