Thread: AR620 Aqua One tank lighting

Default AR620 Aqua One tank lighting

Greetings all, I have recently ordered an Aqua One AR620 tank and cabinet to replace my little 27 Lt nano cube.

I've not sighted one, the LFS has a 510 in black, but was set on a white 620 to fill a spot in my lounge, and hopefully it'll be in stock and available to pick up in 2 to 3 weeks.

My issue is, I'd read on the Aqua One web page that the lighting is LED, yet when I dug deeper trying to work out whether the stock lights would suit a planted setup, all the lights look like compact flouros.

Can anyone who owns one please put me out of my misery and tell whether it's LED or flouros, I assume Aqua One upgraded a few years ago maybe?

Thanks in advance, Eddie.
    Last edited by vx255; 06-02-17 at 06:19 PM. Reason: Typo

I can't be 100% sure about the AR620, but I bought the AR850 and matching cabinet in approx. September last year, and it has LED lighting. I'm thinking the 620 would be the same.
    From all the information I've seen on the internet about the AR850, it too used to have fluorescent lighting.
    Mine is black (it also comes in white). By the look of it, the previous versions of it came in silver (I've seen some on here and on the internet), and the older silver ones had flouros.
    I'm fairly sure whatever is on the Aqua One website would be the one you have ordered.
    Katherine

Thank you Katherine, appreciate your help.

Eddie

Hi Eddie, I had an old model AR850 which was fluoro also. If you get fluoro with this brand new purchase, I reckon you should be concerned that they are trying to offload an ancient model on you.

That's my concern too, although the fact they have to order it in from the distributor gives me a little confidence, but I'll be checking it out before I leave the store

As with what Rebel said, all the current generation should have LED lights under the hood; if it does have Fluoro it is old stock.

I had an AR620 back in the day. For some reason it had the softest most easily scratched glass I've ever come across, so make sure you're careful!

Mine had to be ordered in too, so I think that would guarantee the new model.
    Katherine

Received my tank yesterday, LED thank goodness, I'm sure my 9 neons and 2 albino corys will be happy to move from their nano tank in the coming weeks.

That's good to hear! Now for the fun part - setting it up
    Katherine

All of the newer models have all leds in them this includes the 620T 850 and 980, which are controlled with individual switches.

I can not clarify if the led setup will grow plants however you may be able to get a hood with the compacts in them. Im my 620 I use 1X36W PL tube as ive been having troubles with my tubes blowing. Ignites just fine and doesn't get as hot as the 18W.
    Althought individual fish do not cost much, do not think of fish as cheap little expendables.

Any update on the growing capability of the stock LED in the 620? Would it be considered low light? Are they even suited to grow aquarium plants?

I have an old Aquaone 620T in silver (using fluors) and a new 620 using the LED's.

Looking at the tanks side by side you can see that the fluros are brighter compared to the LED's. Saying that I do need to get new fluos every year so some people might like the savings.

i had a 620 and replaced the fluros with an LED light. the light penetration wasn't very good. i prefer shallower tanks for this reason, a light that penetrates deeper needs to be more powerful

The newer models are useless compared to the compacts. they use a mixture of 5050 leds and a mixture of other teeny weeny leds and the leds DO NOT stretch to the full lenght of the Unit like the old t8 used to do. AQUA one needs to ditch these silly systems and JUST BRING OUT A T8 LED system. Aqua One already makes T8 led tubes using the 5730 or 5630 led chips which would give more lumens than the Stupid poxy systems they have created now. it fucking Irritates me, how hard is it to put a decent lighting system in that can cater to the Aquarist needs? all they have really done is simply replaced the unit so its more ENERGY EFFICIENT.

now in my 850 It used to house t8 bulbs, these were removed due to the fact that there were black scorch marks on the plastic and got so hot one could cook an egg on the top. ONCE MORE Aqua One using OUTDATED TECH. so I replaced these tubes with make my led tubes. I ran 3 under the hood without the light cover and over the years the tubes have blown. due to the moisture.

I have now placed my last tube under the light cover..... will see how long it lasts... its only drawing 12W due to being dimmed but will produce heat. in the 620 you have a cover as well however you would only get two tubes under it.

Last edited by Kyle; 29-08-18 at 12:09 PM.
    Althought individual fish do not cost much, do not think of fish as cheap little expendables.

Yeah they are aimed at the ciclid/tropical mess and plastic plant keeper. TBH I think it's better to have less lumens for those categories as they will grow less algae.

Check the Aqua one Brilliance tanks that are designed for 'aquascapes'. I think they may have better lights but is known to cause warped hoods though.