Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ficus lyrata fanboy

You know what, the leaves on this plant are dark green and like cardboard. But the new growth is light in colour and floppy. I was thinking they'd harden up in time but after reading your experience, this may be why. Mine is under shade cloth but maybe I'll put it out to get more direct light.
    But what about the cold? Surely the cold gets them in winter? Perhaps a healthy plant can lay dormant for a couple months inside.
    [sigpic][/sigpic]
    We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors,
    We borrow it from our Children.

They seem to be fine unless you get frost mate.You are right about moving the plant and keep the roots moist until the leaf has hardened off. Just keep in mind a sudden move to full sun in this weather may burn new leaves mate.

One last one. Seems everywhere i read that over watering is the biggest reason this plant dies. I read that the soil should be allowed to go dry between watering. And then absolutely flood it. Depending on conditions this is usually every 2 weeks or so.
    Any truth to this?

Would take your word over any of these vegan, gluten free, lumbersexual bloggers and forums.
    [sigpic][/sigpic]

Quote Originally Posted by PiL View Post
    One last one. Seems everywhere i read that over watering is the biggest reason this plant dies. I read that the soil should be allowed to go dry between watering. And then absolutely flood it. Depending on conditions this is usually every 2 weeks or so.
    Any truth to this?

Would take your word over any of these vegan, gluten free, lumbersexual bloggers and forums.
    Mmm lumbersexuals. I've been watering mine everyday in this heat.

In other indoor plant news I got this cool mini bird's nest fern which looks live windelov javafern

IMG_20170212_093942 by Pseudostoloniferous, on Flickr

Lovely little baby, Solo.You always had a refined eye for plants.
    Of course, any of my mates will tell you that I have absolutely NO Lumbersexual tendencies. Sadly though.....I have to say that, over the past twelve months, I've had some serious doubts about my boyfriend!
    PiL...."Allow the soil to dry out completely and then flood it", is a classic example of the abbreviated advice language that started when growers had to offer foolproof cultural instruction in the limited space of a plant label. This particular one was to overcome the lack of soil aeration resulting from sitting the pot in a bowl of water. Or, even worse, using a pot with no drainage holes.
    I usually mix soil as I go in order to make the best use of various pots and other containers.
    My view is that the plant will be happier in a media with excellent drainage and an ability to keep roots moist and healthy. In this situation, the plant can be watered every day with no risk of root damage.

thanks, mr anthonyrae. thought as much, so i put about 5cm of lava rock in the bottom of the pot first to be sure.
    i find that the top several leaves wilt after just a few days without water. and here i was thinking it had some sort of dysfunctional drive.

and solomon, that thing is gonna grow massive....

i saw that at bunnings they are selling the bambino version of ficus. might have to get another one...
    [sigpic][/sigpic]

Woop

4 months growth!

took this photo just now (night time) on my new phone out on the deck. It's started to rain in sydney so i've taken 'Florence the Ficus' out of her pretty pot and out into the rain.

have been watering every couple of days and she gets full autumn sun for around 5 hours a day. bit of seasol once a month. always seem to have new leaves coming through as seen in the photo.

so glad i bought little plants for under $50 to grow out at mum's. will be moving to the new place within the next couple of months and she'll be coming with me. a specimen like Florence goes for over $150 at the local nurseries...
    [sigpic][/sigpic]

Its looking great PiL, yours gets more love then mine. I've totally got on this indoor plant bandwagon over the last couple months and have acquired a few Ficus, Pothos and Monstera. I'm totes fanboi-ing.

If you want to propagate the lyrata, you can grow new plants from old leaves if you leave them in a jar in the sun to develop roots.

2017-05-20_11-24-18 by Pseudostoloniferous, on Flickr

First time I've seen roots on a leaf Solo.....You would need the dormant bud at the leaf axil if it is to grow foliage as well as roots......I think.
    Of course, now I've said that, your cutting will send out twenty shoots.

I have a few ferns that i also love. They're all living out on the deck.
    Biggest of them is my Boston fern.

Yeah I've read many articles about propagating ficus lyrata from leaf. I can't bring myself to remove a leaf from Florence but at my old unit in woolloomooloo, there is a massive tree i might have to source some from...
    [sigpic][/sigpic]

Quote Originally Posted by anthonyrae View Post
    First time I've seen roots on a leaf Solo.....You would need the dormant bud at the leaf axil if it is to grow foliage as well as roots......I think.
    Of course, now I've said that, your cutting will send out twenty shoots.
    No shoots yet

2017-06-09_08-53-50 by Pseudostoloniferous, on Flickr

nice.
    that brown patch doesnt seem to have grown at all. amazing how a large leaf like that is still viable for so long whilst also being able to push out such a root system.

wonder what happens next, because there's no obvious point for new leaf to grow from. wonder if it will sprout a new stalk...
    [sigpic][/sigpic]

Last edited by PiL; 19-06-17 at 07:44 PM.
    [sigpic][/sigpic]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12