Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ficus lyrata fanboy

Default Ficus lyrata fanboy

Any one else growing this gorgeous "designer" plant?

Mine was recently mauled by my pup (bottom half) so i went out and bought some small ones to fill out the base.

Had been thinking about doing it for a while as i prefer a bigger bush rather than the spindly 'tree' some people keep. but the dog proved to be the catalyst.

[sigpic][/sigpic]
    We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors,
    We borrow it from our Children.

Haven't seen that one before—nice looking plant though! I've yet to come across a ficus I didn't like the look of... I fell in love with the Eagle St Banyan Figs in Brisbane when I visited.

My wife keeps a bonsai ficus rubiginosa (Port Jackson Fig).
    Luke

Yours is looking a lot nicer than mine. Which needs repotting.

Perfectly formed 'fiddles' on yours.

This plant became a fave of mine independently of me finding out how popular they are in interior decor culture.

Fingers crossed it stays healthy, what after having been ripped to pieces and repotted again.
    [sigpic][/sigpic]

Woop

Quote Originally Posted by PiL View Post
    Perfectly formed 'fiddles' on yours.
    Why thank you <3

I couldn't mentally justify the expense of one of tree-ish ones, so I'm hoping this one grows big. Yours has the nicer compact growth form, mines getting a bit leggy and your leaves seem darker, maybe mine is getting too much light.

I swear I saw some in IKEA of all places....not sure whether they were fake or real.....

it it seems to grow indoors. There is one at work only getting indoor fluoro lights.

Hmm... I've been thinking of getting some plants for the foyer at work. Will have try find one of these...
    Luke

These were very popular just before indoor plants became unfashionable in the 1970's. The top group included Monstera, Parlour Palms,Cocos Palms Kentia Palms ,Sanseverias and Aspidistras.
    These plants were all fairly hardy and took a long time to look shabby indoors.
    I think their downfall was caused by them becoming too common but they all shared one negative point. Big leaves!! Looked fabulous, but once damaged,they took too long to grow replacement leaves and this was a major reason for plants, in general, being dismissed from the pages of Architects Digest and Habitus. Shortly after, Vogue Living and Belle took the hint. Finally,when Home Beautiful gave them a miss, no designer was willing to make the mistake. So, for quite a few years, it was only cool to have cut flowers or the occasional orchid, in flower as a temporary alternative.
    After quite a while of this, a few plants started proving themselves to be better choices. Spathiphyllums (Madonna Lillies) were a leader in this game. They could be produced quickly and could be relied on to survive and grow inside for at least a year. The main feature, I thought, was that they would grow new leaves as fast as the old ones wore out. On top of this, given enough light, water and food, they would easily flower inside....a very good selling point.
    It's interesting to see the old Fiddle Leaves coming back now because they never had a good run and they were almost impossible to obtain for many years.
    But...yes, they last well inside...but they really need good light to give their best results.
    Last edited by anthonyrae; 30-01-17 at 03:12 PM.

And, yes....I love it too.

Quote Originally Posted by SOLOMON View Post
    Yours has the nicer compact growth form, mines getting a bit leggy and your leaves seem darker, maybe mine is getting too much light.
    I've done a lot of reading and it seems too much or too little water makes them drop leaves from the bottom. Leaves dont really come back once that happens apparently.

I have 3 stems in there tied to stakes to make it stand prettily.
    [sigpic][/sigpic]

Quote Originally Posted by anthonyrae View Post
    And, yes....I love it too.
    They love you too, anthonyrae.
    A quick google search will reflect their current popularity. So chic, just like you, mate !
    [sigpic][/sigpic]

Good mates of mine used to own a plant shop, CULTIVATE, on Paddington. When they sold the business and their house, they planted one in the courtyard of the house in Arthur St Surry Hills. It stands around 5-6M tall and very bushy...trendiest garden in the street now.
    Solomon....more light would be better, mate.

Everywhere i read, 'lots of light, but not direct'.

Mine's sitting outside under the porch. It'll come inside, next to a northerly window when the weather cools down.
    [sigpic][/sigpic]

Quote Originally Posted by SOLOMON View Post
    Why thank you <3

I couldn't mentally justify the expense of one of tree-ish ones, so I'm hoping this one grows big.
    Just looking at this again. I think yours is a bambino (baby/miniature) version. My leaves are about 30cm+ long.

Anthonyrae any tips?
    [sigpic][/sigpic]

Quote Originally Posted by PiL View Post
    Everywhere i read, 'lots of light, but not direct'.

Mine's sitting outside under the porch. It'll come inside, next to a northerly window when the weather cools down.
    When I reread this thread I was rudely reminded of the crap advicegiven in gardening mags and esp on labels!
    Lots of light but not direct is crap. They grow best in at least six hours of direct sun....outside. Growth will be strong,dark green and compact.
    Grown inside,is totally different unless you have a room with glass walls and roof. In the average home,a north or east facing window will provide the most light but any DIRECT sunlight will probably last for half an hour....or, at most, two hours.The rest of the time, it probably gets about 20,000lux, which is not enough to support good growth and when the sun hits, it will burn the weak foliage.
    Looking at Solomons plant, the internodal distance is much longer than PiLs....leggy growth...in nurseries, leggy growth is called Etiolated. The plant increases the internodal length in a desperate attempt to reach higher in the hope of higher light. Search for my old thread about etiolation on AL.
    All the best everyone.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast