Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Bridge to a New Hobby

Quote Originally Posted by minhties View Post
    10 points for your light stand! haha very creative!
    Thanks minhties, the bend would be much cleaner if I found a conduit bender tool

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Of Destruction View Post
    Thanks Rebel! What kinda ferns do you reckon I should use?
    Trident and maybe mini java.

Thanks, will try to get some!

Default UPDATE: 1 month - 28/05/2017

It has been a month since I added trident java fern and bolbitis. However, they still seem to be melting and have not sprouted any new leaves.

The red tiger lotus is now massive! I am contemplating on removing it entirely.

Everything else is growing very nicely, my SAE has stripped the walliichi of all it's leaves.

I also tried adding a piece of gold vine towards the front but it felt out of place.

I still need to spray the light mount black, ziptie the cables and change the intake to a glass pipe. Also still thinking of what to add in terms of livestock.

Default UPDATE: 8 months - 08/01/2018

The tank has aged well.

Over the past months I have shuffled around plants to my liking.

I have changed the light stand to quick connects I found at bunnings, costed ~$20 for the whole setup.

The hydor inline heater is also busted, instead I am now using an internal heater.

The plastic intake was replaced with an acrylic intake with inbuilt surface skimmer.

CO2pro cannister was replaced with a 2.6kg CO2 fire extinguisher. I have been using an inline diffuser on the intake of the cannister filter with no problems.

I did a massive trim, I have struggled with rotala walichii (back right) and alternanthera reinickii. I have also found the bottom part of the rotala macaranda became thin and leggy so I trimmed and replanted the tops.

Temporarily, I have placed a mass of hydrocotyle above the ferns to provide some shading as I was struggling with algae problems on the trident fern. It has been working well but I need find another plant to position there as I am not too fond on how it looks. The upper part of the driftwood feels very empty.

Pre trim, front glass glazed with GSA

Post trim

Light stand

Great update!!

I am liking many aspects of your scape. The scraggly stems are likely due to lower flow/CO2 rather than light deficit.

I have used those click it from Bunners and found that they slightly bend down at the plastic joints with a heavier load. It bugged me because it looked curved and not straight.

Did the angels breed for you? I am so tempted to get some for my tank but I may need to get the shrimp out.

Is this your 60 45 ?

Boy that tank has grown in very well Angels look nice, i may have to bring my daughter with me to pick up those plants so she can see your angels. Shes been asking for angels for ages but no room haha.

I am loving this tank and how it matured. Raising that drift wood make its look perfect. Very well positioned driftwood. Little more dense plant at the back of the driftwood or more ferns at the back will make it awesome...

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    Great update!!

I am liking many aspects of your scape. The scraggly stems are likely due to lower flow/CO2 rather than light deficit.

I have used those click it from Bunners and found that they slightly bend down at the plastic joints with a heavier load. It bugged me because it looked curved and not straight.

Did the angels breed for you? I am so tempted to get some for my tank but I may need to get the shrimp out.

Is this your 60 45 ?
    I was reading a few of amano's books and he said it was due to light deficiency. Part of his maintenance would be to replace the straggly bottoms with fresh tops periodically.
    However, he could be wrong so i'll test your theory! I've positioned the intake of my filter right amongst the base of the stems. This should provide enough flow, we'll see in a few weeks

The 3 adult blue marble angels appear to be female, I am hoping the juvenile angel grows to be male. The platinum angel is indeed male, I'm not too sure if they can cross breed though.

Yes, this is the 60 45, another one to the club haha.

Quote Originally Posted by indir View Post
    Boy that tank has grown in very well Angels look nice, i may have to bring my daughter with me to pick up those plants so she can see your angels. Shes been asking for angels for ages but no room haha.
    Get her to beg the wife for one! I'd be more than delighted to give them to her for cost price. The member I bought them from was breeding them in a 2ft.

Quote Originally Posted by JAL View Post
    I am loving this tank and how it matured. Raising that drift wood make its look perfect. Very well positioned driftwood. Little more dense plant at the back of the driftwood or more ferns at the back will make it awesome...
    Good suggestion JAL! I will play around with raising the driftwood. Probably throw some spare stones underneath it, the plants should hide it with growth.

I actually have no soil at the back, just a sock filled with scoria haha. I've been meaning to grab a bag of soil to add to the back so I can plant.

Will you be moving those angels to a new tank once they get too big?
    The tank looks awesome mate!

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Of Destruction View Post
    I was reading a few of amano's books and he said it was due to light deficiency. Part of his maintenance would be to replace the straggly bottoms with fresh tops periodically.
    However, he could be wrong so i'll test your theory! I've positioned the intake of my filter right amongst the base of the stems. This should provide enough flow, we'll see in a few weeks

The 3 adult blue marble angels appear to be female, I am hoping the juvenile angel grows to be male. The platinum angel is indeed male, I'm not too sure if they can cross breed though.

Yes, this is the 60 45, another one to the club haha.
    Very keen to see your findings about the stems. It could be light of course. To a degree you can tell by using the intermodal distance but for old leaves it can be tricky to tell for sure.

'Topping' is used routinely in certain species such as Tonina fluviatilis/ Rotala indica 'bonsai' etc used in Dutch tanks to maintain the nice look.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12