Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My Final Tank - 8x2x2 High Tech Planted

I would concur with rufus although if you reduce light enough, then low CO2 would be ok. It would be a very tricky one to balance. With one reactor, I think 12 bubbles per second should do it but that's a lot of CO2.

You should speak to people at the Barr report (and Barr himself) and get some advice about how to dissolve that CO2, should you wish you take on that challenge....

I would use 2 x co2 reactors. Run 2 filters one for co2. I would run 2 of Pete's type cerges reactors. Or just run 1 and keep the tank low light.
    Not all mid-life crisis involve a sports car

@rufus, rebel and bolsy.

Thanks for the info on the CO2. Yes it has been a challenge to get enough CO2 pumping through.

I have 2 Eheim 2080s on the tank so the flow around the tank isn't too bad. I've finally had the indicator go from green today after turning the CO2 up quite a bit, not sure how many bubbles per second I've got happening but it's close to a steady stream.

I have a Sera flore 1000 reactor taking care of the dissolution for me, it's not too dissimilar from a cerges reactor and with the 2080 pushing the water through it's had no trouble keeping up so far.

Having a reactor on each filter is an interesting idea. Something to consider for future, I've gone a little too far over budget and my tank spending is now a little constrained :-).

Nice work! Looking forward to seeing it all coming together.

Te Easiest way to see if you have enough co2 in the tank is to measure the PH before the co2 comes on and after it has been on for a while your PH should have dropped by around 1.0, eg 7.4 down to 6.4.
    Not all mid-life crisis involve a sports car

Quote Originally Posted by bolsy View Post
    Te Easiest way to see if you have enough co2 in the tank is to measure the PH before the co2 comes on and after it has been on for a while your PH should have dropped by around 1.0, eg 7.4 down to 6.4.
    Thanks I will have to try that out tomorrow. It's been about 4 years since I last ran CO2 and never before on a tank this large. So I'm taking my time getting things back up and running. The advice is certainly helping though :-)

Agree with Bolsy. With your tank I also suggest 4 drop checkers in each corner. Pay attention to lowest levels of the tank. Along with calibrated ph meter, you should be able get it close enough. Keep kh around 4 if possible.

geez guys... grub's one liner comes back to mind:

"bucket chemistry at best"

you guys are taking measurements way too seriously.
    [sigpic][/sigpic]
    We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors,
    We borrow it from our Children.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12