Thread: Macro learning...

Default Macro learning...

I would call this testing as I am new to it and learning as I go. Any suggestions and comments are welcome.

Please excuse the dirty tank...

Cherry

NQAS

Congo Tetra

...Huntsman

Flower

Excellent! Love the spider

Love the shots.
    The rose and spider are excellent. I think the spider has the focus just in front of the eyes but that works for the shot as the bulk of the interesting stuff is in the front, spiky hairy fang covers and small front legs. The 4 front facing eyes are just in focus but the top eyes are in the fade.
    I kept looking at the tetra shot and thinking there is something not spot on. Then i see that it's the lips and top fin. I would say due to movement and the shutter speed not being high enough by 1 stop. Then you run into not enough light etc and that is why i think it's a pain in the ass to photo fish that are small. They move to fast.
    The RCS, and i know this is nothing you really have control of, is tail forward with the focus on the head. For a more pleasing to the eye composition he needs to be head forward like the NQAS with the fade going to the tail.
    All of those things are just to give you something (more) to think about when taking the next lot of photo's. If you see my photo's then you know i almost never get it right.
    What lens were you using?

Wow, great feedbacks Merv (and Dantrasy).

I know I still have plenty of practice to do so stay put for updates

Where are you photos Merv?

Still getting my lights setup properly and testing flash strength, diffuser etc

Gears and setup as below:

Canon 40D
    100m f2.8 macro
    430EXII this one is on top of tank
    YN450 IV (can't remember the exact model) this one is on the left side.

I normally shoot with f13-f20 depending on shutter speed which hovers around 120-200.

Hiya Hip, great pics. With your macros, the technical aspects are all in order. You can definitely tweak lighting etc and perhaps make it more directional if possible/wanted.

Now you just have to nail poses and focus.

What's your working distance?

Quote Originally Posted by Hip View Post
    Wow, great feedbacks Merv (and Dantrasy).

I know I still have plenty of practice to do so stay put for updates

Where are you photos Merv?

Still getting my lights setup properly and testing flash strength, diffuser etc

Gears and setup as below:

Canon 40D
    100m f2.8 macro
    430EXII this one is on top of tank
    YN450 IV (can't remember the exact model) this one is on the left side.

I normally shoot with f13-f20 depending on shutter speed which hovers around 120-200.
    I would love to have a 100mm f2.8. ATM i'm borrowing a mates stock 50mm macro. Shooting with f13-f20 is great also, that is where the double flash is working the hardest.
    I'm finding shooting with a lower shutter speed is messing up a lot of shots because of movement. Even my shrimp, when relaxed, have fast moving legs as they feed.
    Most of my original posts have some photo's in them. Check out..
    http://www.aquariumlife.com.au/showt...607-Auto-Focus
    http://www.aquariumlife.com.au/showt...The-Minimalist
    http://www.aquariumlife.com.au/showt...tive-Adventure

Default Merry Xmas everyone!!!

Comment pleaseeee...!!!

First photo.. Brilliant. Nailed the focus and perfect lighting to get the shrimp, that is obviously moving, sharp with just the swimmerets blurred to show that he is powering ahead.
    Second.. great depth of field, excellent focus and clarity in the shot with no shadows to muck it up.
    Third.. Might have been better narrowing the depth of field to just the surface on the flat part of the petal. That would keep the colours of the rest of the rose in there but not try and draw your eye to look at it.

Again just because you asked. The composition of all 3, and this is most probably just me, is a tiny bit off. I know you are taking the shots and practicing with a new lens so it is the lighting and focus that matters now.
    I love the way the shrimp antenna go from bottom left and front right to the subject. If you cropped a bit less on the left it would move the head slightly to the right 3rd of the shot to give a bit more direction and possibly the illusion of it being closer. Does that make sense?
    The second shot is also very central. All the flow is from right to left, back to front and then stops in the center. The background leaf helps to balance a bit but i dont think enough.
    The rose has the dividing line bottom to top and across to the right. All the focus is in the center. What i see is that it is not the most interesting part with the edges and ruffle having way more colour and texture.

Please dont take it as i'm knocking them just giving you something more to think about. After looking at a million photo's from pro's and on the web to try and help my photography skills i realized that all the "rules" for taking a great photo are there because that is what humans brains interpret as nice. Those guys that break all the rules and get fantastic photo's are bloody artists. On top of that photography is art and if you like it then that is all that counts.

Mateeee.... you comments are absolutely Mad....merv. Loving every bit of it. You are absolutely right that I'm playing with focus and light right now with composition in mind but not there yet.

I'll come back with more...photos and questions

Cheers

I bought a Neewer Extension Tube Set for my Sony a6000, so I might as well revive this post to not start a new one

For $50 I got 2 rings, 10mm and a 16mm which I can both combine for extra length. I chose these rings because it has autofocus but, mainly because I can't justify buying a proper macro lens right now (I prefer to spend it on fish haha).

I can already tell there's an interesting learning curve...and fish move too much and too fast..haha

Here are some test shots using a 35mm 1.8 lens - I still need to try different lenses too, see what I can do with it but in the meantime...tips welcome! It's a bit embarrassing posting my pictures after the pros above..haha