Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: My Adventure begins

I am venting some frustration...

After the last Ammonia spike settled I removed the Silver Dollars from the tank and added lots of plants.
    It took me at least 20 min to catch all 6 ( they are fast, unbelievably fast ! ), obviously I put all the fish through a stressful if not traumatic time.

A day or so later the Tetras developed some white colour on the tail fins.
    After consulting the lfs girl who seems to know her stuff, I bought some 'Tri Sulfa' and dosed according to the directions.
    No change after three days so I dosed again.

A couple of days after that I realised I just wiped out ALL the BB in both filters.

I went to the other lfs, which is locally owned and not a chain store, told the guy my story and he thought it was probably stress related rather than fungal or bacterial.
    He also advised no more dosing, just water changes.

A week later and I am still doing daily 50% water changes...The white colour on the fins is gradually disappearing.

Do you guys and gals go through times where you could just flush the lot down the toilet ?
    I would be lying if I said it has not crossed my mind.

During this time I am trying an experiment.
    I am still cycling the filter in the three foot tank with the Silver Dollars, so daily 50% water changes.
    This small tank I have been turning the filter back on around 5-10 mins after the tank fills.
    The big tank I wait at least 20 mins after the tank fills.

I add Prime at the recommended dosage rate just after I turn the tap on to re-fill, same method for both tanks.

So far the big tank seems to be cycling quicker, less Ammonia each day than the smaller tank.
    I don't know if this is from the time delay or the fact there is two filters running on the big tank, Eheim 2217 and Nautilus 1400.
    Small tank has my original Aquis 1200 filter.

300 litres vs 120 litres.
    38 fish (34 fish under 2") vs 6 Silver Dollars, almost 3" each

Probably too many unknowns to make a fair comparison but I thought it may indicate an appropriate time time to leave the filters off after re-fill.

As of today I am leaving the filters off for at least 20 mins on both tanks after re-fill, so will see if anything changes.
    Still another week at least to go until I can get the Ammonia under control.

An update of my tank.

This follows on from the other thread here;

http://www.aquariumlife.com.au/showt...re-in-distress

Am still doing daily WC around 40% whilst the filters cycle. Ammonia is down to around 0.25 ppm hopefully a few more days should see it zero.
    No Nitrite spike at all.

I have no idea what this white stuff growing on the fish is but it is not going away quickly.

Bought a small 30L tank for the Tetras and have the temp bumped to 29 degrees, the white colour is gradually fading from them.

Male Bristlenose gets a white cottony sort of slime on his sides if the temps in the 4ft tank go below 26 degrees, so I have that tank at 27 degrees.
    He rubs it off on whatever is close and then is fine.

I am guessing it is the same thing the Tetras have ?

Anyway whist doing today's WC I noticed one Bronze Cory acting a little strange, sort of excited swimming around looking for something.
    Next thing as I watched she laid a heap of eggs on the small plants, Java Fern ? Then proceeded to eat them !

I shooed her away by waving my hand up to the tank and had to shoo away other Cory's and the Silver Sharks as they all wanted to eat the eggs.

My son kept them shooed away whilst I grabbed the small plastic fry container and then covered the remaining eggs.

No idea what to do with them now so just wait and see if they hatch...

Some photos, all today, I have discovered the Samsung tablet takes much better photos than the phone !

I had to trim the Wisteria as it had grown to the surface and across the top shading the other plants, I re-planted the tops in the sand at the back of the tank.

Very happy with the plant growth, all plants are doing well.

Pics;

20170319_162802 by Craig, on Flickr

20170319_162919 by Craig, on Flickr

20170319_162906 by Craig, on Flickr

20170319_162830 crop by Craig, on Flickr

20170319_162954 by Craig, on Flickr

20170319_163036 by Craig, on Flickr

A quick update....

I finally have all water parameters under control !

Backed off the light to 7 hours per day (was around 11 hours) this is starting to have an effect on the algae.
    The driftwood is covered with BBA. I have been dribbling a cap full of Excel each WC over the exposed BBA which is starting to kill it.
    All the plants I could remove without uprooting I soaked in a 10% Bleach solution for 15 mins.
    Then rinsed thoroughly until we could not smell bleach, worked a treat, the BBA went white and seemed to disappear.

20170505_200404 by Craig, on Flickr

Did the eggs ever hatch?

No, they were eaten.

We do have Bristlenose fry in the tank now and I think more on the way.
    The Male is spending all his time in a hole in the driftwood again.

Some Photos for Luked...

Please excuse the poor quality phone pics

20180613_185548 by Craig, on Flickr

20180613_185730 by Craig, on Flickr

20180613_182945 by Craig, on Flickr

These are the Siphon Tubes and the Weir, it is 600mm long, about half the tank length

20180613_182839 by Craig, on Flickr

20180613_182758 by Craig, on Flickr

These guys are cool as but so hard to photograph, the colours are awesome !
    Pity I can't show all the colour, of about 40 photos this is the best I could get....

20180519_104348 by Craig, on Flickr

Thanks for the pictures mate!

Really enjoyed reading this whole thread, what an adventure you've been on
    As a young boy, I dreamed of being a baseball; but tonight I say, we must move forward, not backward; upward, not forward; and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom!

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainVader View Post
    Really enjoyed reading this whole thread, what an adventure you've been on
    Thanks Vader, yes it has been an adventure! Not over yet I fear...

Makes me appreciate what I have now though.

Quote Originally Posted by salt36 View Post
    Thanks Vader, yes it has been an adventure! Not over yet I fear...

Makes me appreciate what I have now though.
    Well you know what they say, it's not the destination it's the journey. A very long, expensive, frustrating journey.
    As a young boy, I dreamed of being a baseball; but tonight I say, we must move forward, not backward; upward, not forward; and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom!

Quote Originally Posted by salt36 View Post
    So far the big tank seems to be cycling quicker, less Ammonia each day than the smaller tank.
    My thoughts is bigger volume of water = bigger dilution of ammonia. Though I guess it doesn't hurt to leave filters off before turning them on.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234