Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Which to choose?

Default Which to choose?

I know you guys won't believe me, but I accomplished the impossible last night. I visited my LFS on pay day, with the urge to splurge.... and didn't.

But this has also lead to a bit of a dilemma, so I'm hoping for some input on what my next steps should be. I currently have an all-in-one that was donated to me, it included heater, filter, light, soil substrate (very dark spherical, and quite light, it was hard to get the crypts to take root) and was originally for shrimp. It's about 28cm ish cubed, so i'm guessing about 25L although I've never measured. It has some driftwood and some basic plants, 5 ember tetras and 3 otos. I'm also picking up some new plants over the coming day thanks to some lovely AL members After my visit to my LFS last night I have worked out I have three or four options:

1. Keep current tank, but upgrade light. Add the new plants and maybe some more driftwood. See how things go, maybe upgrade down the track.

2. Buy a very reasonably priced (I think) 45cm cube tank, new light, new filter, new substrate, more driftwood. Cycle and then add more plants and more exciting fish (fish guy said he can order in hastatus and I am so, so, so tempted), and donate old set up.

3. Buy a Fluval Spec 5 for cheap (current LFS guy said he'd do a significant discount for me). Buy new substrate. Rescape and keep fish stock as is.

4. Something else entirely.

What would you do? The only thing holding me back from buying the Fluval is it's 19L and that's too small for the Hastatus school I want. At least not without parting with my embers and otos. The 45cm cube is also an option, but that's definitely the most expensive one and I'm trying ever so hard to be sensible about this. The Angel on my should is telling me to stick with what I have and make small upgrades , but the devil is telling me to do something crazy.

Thoughts, opinions, etc?
    As a young boy, I dreamed of being a baseball; but tonight I say, we must move forward, not backward; upward, not forward; and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom!

LOL - so hard to decide... my usual approach is to get another tank (bigger the better unless u have space issues. The reason is that I find you have less issues with a larger tank. I bet all the regulars here have multiple tanks or 'had' multiple tanks LOL.

See if you can source your equipment 2nd hand would also be a good approach to save $$$. This hobby can be quite $$ draining.
    Last edited by odie_88; 15-06-18 at 09:24 AM.

I am really, really trying to avoid MTS (multiple tank syndrome!). When I was in the full swing of this hobby 10+ years ago I think I got up to 7 tanks ranging more a 4ft to a nano and everything in between. But then was when I had the space for it, and I don't right now. Nor do I have the time/patience to be doing multiple water changes on the weekend - one is enough for me

I have to admit, the Fluval spec is reeeeal pretty and I like the idea of a long, slim tank. I can imagine my little Hastaties swimming about already but you're right, in that larger tank = less problems. Someone once told me "If you can't decide, then the answer is no". But I don't think they ever had a fish tank obsession.
    As a young boy, I dreamed of being a baseball; but tonight I say, we must move forward, not backward; upward, not forward; and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom!

My suggestion is to just keep on tank and concentrate your efforts on that. Too many tanks spoil it for most people.

If you 'need' a new tank, I think a 2 footer is the best compromise. If you can afford it, 60x45x45 is a good size but most 60cm tanks should be fine.

Look into Chihiro A series lights. They are excellent value. I would suggest also looking into the 2toned substrate (in the substrate section of the forum) which grows crypts very very well!

Avoid buying smaller tanks like the spec.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    My suggestion is to just keep on tank and concentrate your efforts on that. Too many tanks spoil it for most people.

If you 'need' a new tank, I think a 2 footer is the best compromise. If you can afford it, 60x45x45 is a good size but most 60cm tanks should be fine.

Look into Chihiro A series lights. They are excellent value. I would suggest also looking into the 2toned substrate (in the substrate section of the forum) which grows crypts very very well!

Yeah the 2toned substrate is quite good value...(I know as I was the one that took the pictures for him lol)

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post

I think two foot is just too big for my place. It's a one bedroom flat on the top floor, so moving large tanks in and out is an issue. Having space to do decent water changes is also a problem. This is why I went with a nano originally. I also have an annoyingly designed apartment where the shared wall that runs the length of the flat has no power outlets, so putting a tank there isn't possible with some crafty rug use.

I was considering the 45cmx45cmx45cm I saw last night as that would fit on the bench, but I think it just might dominate too much. I don't know if this link will work, but this is my tiny kitchen and the current tank is on the left side bench where the drawers are. And being 45cm tall might be too difficult to scape and do water changes. One of the reasons I liked the Fluval spec was it looks very clean and will be easy to scape/manage in my flat.

I'll definitely look into the lighting, I guess I'm not making any decisions on lighting until I know whether to change my tank or not.

Ok, my searching ability is failing me. What's the 2tone substrate? Wait no, found it! This? http://www.aquariumlife.com.au/showt...Generating-Sub

I have a 60cm cube and love it. I much prefer cubes to the more traditional tanks as it better suits my scape style I guess but if this is too large maybe go with a 45cm cube.

I can recommend the Chiros A lights and I run 2 of them on my cube. Its more light than I need however being a cube if you only run 1 light you will have poor light dispersion.

Keep the clutter to a minimum and pick up a second hand Hydor inline heater. They are great !!!

I have always preferred to buy new but that's just me. I also like cool devices with heaps of features I will never use hence my Fluval G3. You can easily use a much cheaper filter but IMO steer clear from the bottom end of the quality spectrum. It just isn't work it. It's too hit and miss.

Also remember that a larger tank gives your more options for flora and fauna and more water means more dilution. (Dilution is the Solution to Pollution).

Be careful keeping the tank on a bench. It may not hold the weight of a larger tank.

My 2c.

Cheers

Ado
    Whatever

I like to camp on gumtree with a certain sized setup in mind. For e.g, i'd camp for a 2ft starphire aquarium setup (komoda, mr aqua, fire aqua or cades) and eventually a whole setup will pop up for really cheap when people are either upgrading, moving or getting out of the hobby. The benefits to this is that it usually comes as a package with a good filter and lighting. Sometimes you even get fish food, soil and co2 setups.

Be careful with second hand hydor heaters, i've had mine short circuit on me. My girlfriend's thermostat went faulty after a few months and cooked all her fish

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Of Destruction View Post
    Be careful with second hand hydor heaters, i've had mine short circuit on me. My girlfriend's thermostat went faulty after a few months and cooked all her fish
    so true...this is probably the only item (and maybe air pumps) I still buy new and not the cheapie brands too....

Ha yep I will never ever buy a second hand heater after a malfunction a decade ago left me with cooked shrimp!

It's great what pops up when you camp patiently, I ended up getting my 60 x 45 x 45 komoda for free!

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainVader View Post
    Ha yep I will never ever buy a second hand heater after a malfunction a decade ago left me with cooked shrimp!
    +1

I do the same. Don't want to take any chances especially if you have a lot of fish! Plus heaters aren't that expensive nowadays.

I read through 2Toned substrate thread and headed off to bunnings last night. I found the pebbles, but again the bag doesn't specify marble or quartz so I brought some loose stones home and did the vinegar test, and no fizz. My guess is that Tusan Path use whatever white stones they have for these packs, and therefore sometimes they're marble and sometimes quartz and probably mostly a mix.

I already had some propogating sand left over from my mostly failed foray into growing venus fly traps, so spent a good 30mins washing it.. the water runs clear but the sand is dark and definitely not that lovely white as shown in photos.

So it's back to the drawing board for substrate for me!

Dont give up on 2Toned.
    I have 4 tanks with it in them and for the price you just cant beat it.
    First the pebbles. Marble reacts with acid, the stronger the acid the stronger the reaction. Vinegar is not that strong, you can drink it. Totally immerse a pebble in the vinegar and wait 5 min. If there are bubbles, of any magnitude, coming off the pebble then it is what you want. Or pull up at any building site and ask the brickie for a couple of drops of real acid and see if it reacts.
    You are correct in saying propergating sand does not look that great. Use the propergating sand as the underlayer with the clay still in it. This will help bond the fertalizers in the base layer and give the roots a nice place to head. Use a pool sand for the capping layer because it is designed/graded to allow water to flow through it. This will help prevent anaerobic bacteria build up as there is a very slow flow of O2 water able to penetrate it. Good for the roots to get O2 also.
    Some people dont like the look of the not quite white, not really grey, pool sand so you can cap 2Toned sub with any other type of sand. Just be aware that angular sands will compact easier and therefor have to be the correct thickness to allow some water flow.
    The last recommendation i have is be EXACT with the blood and bone. Working from memory, so double check this please, it's one measured tablespoon of B&B per square foot. Do not go heavy thinking the plants will love it. That is a disaster waiting to happen.

Until recently, I always kept between 30 and 65 tanks.
    One tank sticks in my memory and it was the same size as yours.
    I got some willow branches about as thick as a pencil and wove them into a sphere that fit the tank exactly.....But how about this!?!....I planted small Crypts and then placed the sphere.
    A few shrimp, ten EMBER TETRAS and TEN HASTATUS.
    In that tank, the Embers kept within the sphere....the males sparring and competing for attention from the females.
    Meanwhile, the hastatus behaved like Humming Birds, hovering above a leaf and trying to attract a female so they could dash under a leaf and lay an egg.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast