Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Misting for simple green house

Ideal ventilation is achieved with an opening close to the ground and a vent along the apex of the roof. This would require sealing with shadecloth tape which stops the tearing. It would also need an inverted 'V' shaped screen to prevent water and rubbish from entering. This system is perfect because the airflow increases with temperature and ensures an even exchange with in the structure.
    But yes...a fan would certainly help.

Hi Rebel, just wondering how this greenhouse worked out for you over the last 12 months. Is it still going or did you scrap it?

Hey Colin, its still going but quite tricky to keep stable due to extreme weather in Canberra. I have had nice growing hair grass and MC during summer. I often forget to check on it and the plant dry up. Then I soak them and they grow again.

lol to the plants drying out then being soaked and growing again

Something I did in Perth during winter was use black plastic on the bottom part of the greenhouse. I had it on the bottom and around the bottom half of the greenhouse. The black plastic heats up faster and gets hotter than clear plastic and increased it a few more degrees compared to the clear plastic. I just taped the black plastic around the outside of the clear stuff. Then in spring I took the black stuff off and left it clear.

A bigger greenhouse will hold temperature better at night but it takes longer to heat up so its a compromise.

If you have space you could set up a hot box (black box with glass/ clear plastic cover) and have some black pvc pipe in it. You have the black box in the sun and run the poly pipe into the greenhouse then back to the black box. You have a number of coils of poly pipe in the black box and in the greenhouse. The poly pipe is filled with water and then sealed up so it is a closed loop system. As the poly pipe heats up in the black box, it moves through the poly pipe into the greenhouse and warms that up.
    You can improve this further by having a water container in the bottom of the greenhouse and the black poly pipe sits in the water container and warms the water up. Water holds the heat better than air and the green house will stay warmer over night. You can also keep fish in the container.
    If the water doesn't circulate around enough by itself, you can fit a small inline water pump to the system so it slowly circulates the water from the hot box to the greenhouse. And if you can hook the pump up to a small solar panel, the pump will come on during the day but goes off at night, which stops colder water being pumped from the hot box to the green house.

Colin, This is something I can definitely try in 2020 or so when I will probably have a larger green house for my experiments. I am hoping to grow a small Mango plant in Canberra. I like to dream.

I appreciate your tips tho. Many thanks.

As the wise AR once said, the best way to reduce heat is to mist the green house from outside!

For heating, I haven't discounted the possibility of a revolving compost bin inside the green house.

I just inspected the Green house. There is a rip in the bottom which is causing the drying out. I may need to ask Mr Ductape to help.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12