Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Misting for simple green house

Default Misting for simple green house

Hi everyone,

I am revving up up my plans to eradicate all snails. I 'may' setup my 2 footer and get rid of my AR850 altogether.

I bought a small greenhouse to help me transition the snails and tanks slowly.
    https://www.bunnings.com.au/naturall...house_p3321076

I am getting very high temperatures in the top shelf but the bottom ones are ok...I almost killed all my MC 'goldcoast' as I had left them on the top shelf!

now I am considering getting an automatic misting system to keep things very humid inside and perhaps control the temperature during hot days. I have already done a 50% shade cloth on the pergola.

Do you think this misting system is reasonable? I don't mind a bit of DIY but this system seems to be cost effective for a beginner?

https://www.bunnings.com.au/holman-7...m-kit_p3120717

Your thoughts are much appreciated.
    Last edited by Rebel; 01-12-16 at 08:36 PM.

The misting kit is big for the size of your greenhouse. What about one of these at the top http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Cross-Gar...-/141998960061

Bigger droplets (more a spray than a mist) and will likely wet down the walls, but might still have the desired effect. $2 to find out.
    Last edited by Grubs; 01-12-16 at 10:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Grubs View Post
    The misting kit is big for the size of your greenhouse. What about one of these at the top http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Cross-Gar...-/141998960061

Bigger droplets (more a spray than a mist) and will likely wet down the walls, but might still have the desired effect. $2 to find out.

Hey Grubs, that's indeed very interesting. I will order a few. Do these glue on to the irrigation pipes? I already have 2m of black 19mm irrigation pipe left over from some other 'project' I may or may not have completed. I may or may not remember what that project actually was....

Hi Rebel.....I have a friend who uses the same greenhouse for propagation in warm months and to protect some orchids in winter.
    She found that cheap Kitty Litter trays fitted the shelves and held plenty of water to keep the humidity up. If you want to reduce the temperature, try hosing the outside of the greenhouse. The cool water helps directly but the evaporation off the plastic cover may be quite effective. On hot days, you may find that excessive humidity inside will not be a good look. All the best mate.

Hi Rebel, I agree with grubs that the holman would be abit of overkill. What you need to do is when you get the misters(You may even be able to get misters from Bunnings) see what size it is if it's 4mm then buy a 4mm irrigation pipe punch and punch a hole in the pipe then just push the fitting into the hole and the barb on the end of the fitting will hold it in the hole. What may be worth looking at would be an irrigation controller most have at least four start times per day on them, that way you could mist the plants a few times a day rather than one large misting. See what Bunnings have in the irrigation section, they operate off of batteries just get a cheap one.
    Not all mid-life crisis involve a sports car

FYI - as a user of 4mm misting Pope brand misting micro-sprays from bunnings (to cool guinea pigs!) - they spray rather than mist. The droplets get smaller with higher water pressure and you need good pressure to get anything remotely like a mist. I have a pressure reducer on the house to 350kPa. Its a good solid fine spray. The brass/stainless steel misting jets have a much smaller orifice... but they have their own problems from blockages.

I've not used those misters I linked to above - I suspect they'll be somewhere between the Bunnings and the proper misters - so maybe ideal (?).

With what AR said - you could do trays inside the greenhouse and micro-sprays to cool the outside - keeps the wetness off the plants so doesnt matter if the drops are bigger. The Bunnings stuff would be fine for that.
    Last edited by Grubs; 02-12-16 at 07:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by anthonyrae View Post
    Hi Rebel.....I have a friend who uses the same greenhouse for propagation in warm months and to protect some orchids in winter.
    She found that cheap Kitty Litter trays fitted the shelves and held plenty of water to keep the humidity up. If you want to reduce the temperature, try hosing the outside of the greenhouse. The cool water helps directly but the evaporation off the plastic cover may be quite effective. On hot days, you may find that excessive humidity inside will not be a good look. All the best mate.
    Hmm that makes sense AR. Easier for myself as well. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by bolsy View Post
    Hi Rebel, I agree with grubs that the holman would be abit of overkill. What you need to do is when you get the misters(You may even be able to get misters from Bunnings) see what size it is if it's 4mm then buy a 4mm irrigation pipe punch and punch a hole in the pipe then just push the fitting into the hole and the barb on the end of the fitting will hold it in the hole. What may be worth looking at would be an irrigation controller most have at least four start times per day on them, that way you could mist the plants a few times a day rather than one large misting. See what Bunnings have in the irrigation section, they operate off of batteries just get a cheap one.
    I've already got a irrigation controller Bolsy. I was planning on just piggybacking on that. I can just turn the flow right down for the green house.

Quote Originally Posted by Grubs View Post
    FYI - as a user of 4mm misting Pope brand misting micro-sprays from bunnings (to cool guinea pigs!) - they spray rather than mist. The droplets get smaller with higher water pressure and you need good pressure to get anything remotely like a mist. I have a pressure reducer on the house to 350kPa. Its a good solid fine spray. The brass/stainless steel misting jets have a much smaller orifice... but they have their own problems from blockages.

I've not used those misters I linked to above - I suspect they'll be somewhere between the Bunnings and the proper misters - so maybe ideal (?).

With what AR said - you could do trays inside the greenhouse and micro-sprays to cool the outside - keeps the wetness off the plants so doesnt matter if the drops are bigger. The Bunnings stuff would be fine for that.
    Thanks for the info. I think I am going to use the outside sprayers most likely...

Do you guys think that too much moisture inside could lead to fungus etc? Haven't seen any so far but I guess there is some self management of the humidity. What humidity do you guys manage your green houses?

Close to 100% for my crypts - water dripping off the plastic most nights. I get some weird moulds and BGA on the surface of pots every now and then. A periodic drowning fixes most issues. I don't manage humidity. Just heat - so on hot days I have to vent the plastic that covers my boxes so the plants don't broil.... working on a bigger/better system this summer but too much work on to get it done.

If you are after the fine atomising mist of the Holman, you can just buy short lengths of the irrigation pipe and 2 packs of the brass misting nozzles at Bunnings. So rather than buying that whole kit, just get what you need.

Rebel, I remember the panic of really hot days and the urge to reach for a hose. But the water heats up quickly and you suddenly realise the plants are being steamed!
    My good friend, Bill Sieverding sat me down for a long chat about common sense and also mentioned the advantage of spraying the actual house. Saved the day for me,mate.
    It is much easier to heat a greenhouse than to cool it. And the smaller the house, the faster conditions will change....similar to fish tank size.
    Here is another obvious point that needed pointing out to ME.
    If you can keep the area around the house cool, it will be ventilated by cool air. How simple is THAT!
    Last edited by anthonyrae; 03-12-16 at 04:02 PM.

AR, Thanks. That makes sense to me. I was also hoping for automatic watering... I am incorporating your ideas into a simple solution. Stand by for pics.

@Arden, i will have a look Bunnings but don't want to have clogged misters etc though.

@Grubs, because the greenhouse is not completely air tight, I don't know whether I can maintain 100% humidity. I will try out a couple of crypts though in the lower levels.

Ok....(grins)....can't help myself here. Most $2 shops sell cheap shower curtains. Two vital criteria....You need a NYLON curtain cos it won't ever get bulky or crumpled and....choose transparent to white with no pattern. They will cost $9 each. Hang one from the roof so it hangs exactly up against the shelves. It won't be a perfect seal but with the trays full of water and the curtain up against them, you will have almost duplicated the conditions that T/C nurseries provide explants to harden them off. Perfect for emerse growth as well.
    Don't tell anyone about this please....it's a big secret.
    Bigger grins.....When installing sprinklers, misters, foggers from the roof, it seems obvious to install them facing down.....NOT!!!...Arrange your water pipe so you can face the nozzles UP.....why????.....so that when you turn them off, any debri settles in the pipes rather than the little nozzle holes.
    Oh My Dog.....I am sooo simple.
    Of course, you can add a curtain to the other side if you like it.

Ok....(grins)....can't help myself here. Most $2 shops sell cheap shower curtains. Two vital criteria....You need a NYLON curtain cos it won't ever get bulky or crumpled and....choose transparent to white with no pattern. They will cost $9 each. Hang one from the roof so it hangs exactly up against the shelves. It won't be a perfect seal but with the trays full of water and the curtain up against them, you will have almost duplicated the conditions that T/C nurseries provide explants to harden them off. Perfect for emerse growth as well.
    Don't tell anyone about this please....it's a big secret.
    Bigger grins.....When installing sprinklers, misters, foggers from the roof, it seems obvious to install them facing down.....NOT!!!...Arrange your water pipe so you can face the nozzles UP.....why????.....so that when you turn them off, any debri settles in the pipes rather than the little nozzle holes.
    Oh My Dog.....I am sooo simple.
    Of course, you can add a curtain to the other side if you like it.
    AR the green house is water tight and has a plastic cover on it. Just that the bottom bits are slightly open so the humidity does leak out but not completely. I will take some pics at some stage to show. I bought the green PVC cover (https://www.bunnings.com.au/naturall...cover_p3321078) as well to cut out some of the light but obviously not enough. Originally it came with a transparent PVC cover.

Ok so I didn't have time to setup any misting as such this weekend....

I have tested the hypothesis (quite a reasonable one) of misting the outside of the green house. I can get about 7C temperature drop consistently with this approach. It lasts for an hour or so I will need misting every hour I think. Easily rectified with my irrigation controller.

Worth mentioning ventilation again, Rebel. The nylon curtains work well because they help contain humidity but still allow reasonable airflow. If there is no vent in the roof, you may want to install a simple DIY device to allow hot air to escape.
    If you want to read more, try and get hold of a copy of The Ball Redbook....from Florilegium at Glebe....Priceless!.
    I used to subscribe to two American magazines for commercial Nurserymen. Florida Foliage and Greenhouse Manager.
    But I always read heaps...can't help myself.

Worth mentioning ventilation again, Rebel. The nylon curtains work well because they help contain humidity but still allow reasonable airflow. If there is no vent in the roof, you may want to install a simple DIY device to allow hot air to escape.
    If you want to read more, try and get hold of a copy of The Ball Redbook....from Florilegium at Glebe....Priceless!.
    I used to subscribe to two American magazines for commercial Nurserymen. Florida Foliage and Greenhouse Manager.
    But I always read heaps...can't help myself.
    AR, thanks!

I have considered making a few holes at the top but due to the extremely 'high quality' of the fabric, I think it will rip easily in the wind..... I also considered a small fan thusly (mainly due to the fun factor)....
    http://www.bcf.com.au/Product/Solar-...tilator/224454

Or maybe even just this one?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast