Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Danio Erythromicron spawning.

Have you got any fine mesh over the exit grate on the breeder box? Unless you do they will be getting pushed over and back into the actual tank which may be causing some deaths via filter, etc.

I use breeder boxes for all my fry for the first 2-4 weeks of free swimming so this is not your problem. I also move all my fry with pipettes, and have even used nets on fry as young as 1 week old... No issues. I'd remove the air stone when the fry are out of the egg though, there is enough flow just from the uplift tube. The actual bubbles could also be pushing the fry OUT of the water (which i've seen happen myself) which would cause them to dry up/die off/etc. My fry move to a tank with a sponge filter after this 2-4 week period, never had issues with losses.

If your fry never make it to the free swimming stage there will be something else that is an issue. Maybe introduce a cycled sponge filter to the rearing tank (fry remain in the breeder box) just in case there is ammonia spikes from the feeding, etc?

The eggs sink...Tim, at no stage should eggs / fry get sucked into the sponge filter, as in turn air flow down. Just want a gentle current.
    60 X 40 X 40 fire (jungle 3 sided scape)
    http://www.aquariumlife.com.au/showt...-old-2ft-tank)

So I made a few major changes to the setup. Did a 90% water change with dechlorinated Perth tap water with a TDS of about 400ppm, installed a cycled sponge filter, some flame moss I have growing on some stainless mesh and returned the seven remaining newly hatched fry to the tank and I now have free swimming fry. I have some more fry in the breeder box that I will transfer once they start free swimming also.

Fingers crossed it's a sign of good things to come.

Tim

Update. Things are on the improve. Fry tank has about 20 free swimmers and at last count another 35 in the breeder box from last weekends spawning. Happy days.

Tim

Moved the last lot of 35 plus another 70 into the fry grow out tank. 125 in total at this stage. It all seems to be working.

Tim.

Great stuff Tim. What are you feeding fry and adults? Also where are the pictures?

Yeah, I want to see Tim's fish factory
    I'm still chucking my fry into the garden holidays in a week then back into it... we'll have to compare notes? Tim, did you do any surface skimming?

Fry are on paramecium and sera micron at this stage. Will start feeding microworms soon and baby brine shrimp once supplies turn up.

Set up is pretty basic really. Breeding stock(10) in a small tank with a few plants and spawning trap. I only put the trap in for three days a week. Eggs moved into hang on breeder boxes till they hatch then moved into a small cube tank. I have a couple of other small tanks I will move fry into once they get a bit bigger and ultimately into a new tank I am setting up. Will get some shots up in the next couple of days.

Haven't done any surface skimming but doing a couple of 30% water changes a week. Getting a lot of rubbish on the bottom of the tank so vacume that out while water changing.

Tim.

I get that build up as well. When I have a lot of fry in the tank >100 I usually do a 30% exch every 3 days and also vac. Seems to be the sera micron and starts to get a bit fluffy (not fungus though).

That's the stuff. I have seen fry nibbling on it so it's edible. Could lead to ammonia spike I would imagine if left to long.

Yes can get out of control and billows up floating around and becomes quite difficult to vacuum and not suck up fry. Seems quite bacterial to me. But I've never had a crash because of it.

Couple of photos of my basic set up.

Spawning tank:

Fry hatching/ Holding tanks:

Fry tank:

Fry:

Nothing fancy but it works. Also live food cultures of paramecium, micro worms and brine shrimp soon.

Tim.

Nice
    That bench shot almost looks like a crazy chemists bench experiment, if you dont know what is going on..Lol

Wife thinks it looks like a crazy science experiment. Be even worse with brine shrimp hatchery going as well.

Tim

One fry tank full so have started stocking a second tank. Got my brine shrimp hatchery started as well. That will get them growing faster.

Tim.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123