Thread: What worm should I put in my substrate and where to get them please?

Thumbs Up What worm should I put in my substrate and where to get them please?

Have recently setup a 3ft using DIY substrate and not sure what worm should I put in my substrate and where to get them. Anyone know? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hip View Post
    Have recently setup a 3ft using DIY substrate and not sure what worm should I put in my substrate and where to get them. Anyone know? Thanks
    Hey Hip
    I have 2Tone sub in 2 tanks and used live black worms from the LFS. I was told when i first picked them up that they need to be in cool water to survive but there is a carpet of them in the shrimp tank, at 22c, and im cycling my second tank at 28c. The cycling tank had only a small batch that i caught from the shrimp tank put in and they are multiplying fast. Not sure how long the worms are going to last once i get fish in there.

Aquariistic Arncliff always has some worms kicking about in their worm tank.....

I've heard of people using upside down cups to hold worms until they burrow into sub. I think Vladguan from the forum did this. Otherwise worms will last a couple of minutes when fish are introduced.

Awesome, paid a visit to Aquaristic Botany today and grab 2 serves of black worm. THey are all wiggling in the tank now. Thanks.

Can I ask what the benefits of introducing worms is? or can someone direct on where to read up on the subject?
    I have only been into the hobby for 6 months and in all my research (there's lots to do) haven't really come across much worm talk.
    Is it beneficial for DIY substrate? is it useful with aquasoil?
    My LFS happens to be Aquariistic which is handy and I have seen their worm soup but had thought it was sold as a food source

Quote Originally Posted by Hethro View Post
    Can I ask what the benefits of introducing worms is? or can someone direct on where to read up on the subject?
    I have only been into the hobby for 6 months and in all my research (there's lots to do) haven't really come across much worm talk.
    My LFS happens to be Aquariistic which is handy and I have seen their worm soup but had thought it was sold as a food source
    Its is to aerate the substrate, so to speak.

Interestingly, my blue rams and tetras are least bit interested in the live black worms but go crazy at chopped up blood worms and crushed snails.

Quote Originally Posted by Hethro View Post
    No need with aquasoil.

IF you have plenty of plant roots no need for worms. If you don't have lots of plant roots, it's useful.

As stated above they aerate the sub a bit and i have found that in a 2Tone sub it releases the bubbles more often and therefore they are smaller bubbles. My hope there is that the co2 dissolves a little bit more as a small bubble.
    Another big benefit is they eat up any leftover foods and the broken down leaves, in my shrimp tank, and i assume they deposit the waste deeper in the sub. Good for the plants to extract what they need in the root zone. Mobile root tabs..
    I understand aquasoil doesn't need worms but i would be wondering if it would benefit from having them anyway?

When I set up my 30cm cube I used a handful of worm castings from my worm farm under the substrate. I must have accidentally introduced a few tiger worms with it because they were surfacing and going for a wander for a good 12 months after I set the tank up. I'm not suggesting that they're ideal, but I was rather amazed they survived for so long.