Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: One more, no more! A 5ft adventure

Quote Originally Posted by sweefu View Post
    Agreed, they are amazing! I don't think I've ever seen them for sale before, are they quite hard to find?
    I wouldn't say hard to find.. I've seen them for sale in a few store around Sydney. If you ask them, they do say these can order. I just don't think its something shops stock cause they aren't that cheap. Some places also mistaken/cant confirm if they are red corals pencil fish or purple pencil fish which is quite similar and hard to tell when small. (in my experience looking/researching them) I jumped on these when I saw them for sale and was given a 100% guarantee these were red corals.

Yeah they are about $90 I believe. Exasperatingly expensive. Hell I've seen Elephant noses for $45. Surely!!!

I haven't seen them for 90.. the ones i've seen where marked around the 45/50 mark.

So, one of the reasons I started this tank journal was to keep track of the progress of the tank. Well, I'm glad to say that today marks the first time I've cleaned my filters very slack I know! but you just don't realise it. 5 months and no filter clean. Might of been part of the reason for the algae outbreak. That, no co2 and I realised that I had the lights on at 40% which is quite a lot from what I've read.

Anyways, I've added recurring notes on my calendar to clean filter monthly from now on.

Some progress pics of the tank. Theres still so much i want to do, just no time do get it done. Small changes each week. I'm pretty happy with how the moss mountain is getting! Excuse the crappy phone pictures.

.. and with the recent addition of a wave maker to really eliminate any flow issues, it seems that I'm back on track with algae.

Looking very positive. That looks to be GSA do you think? Sometimes you need to up the phosphates a little also.

That Balansae and Erio look fantastic. And is that a crinum as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    Looking very positive. That looks to be GSA do you think? Sometimes you need to up the phosphates a little also.
    Yeah GSA rebel. I originally dosed EI method with a pump bottle. But I've gone back to weighing with a scale to actually know what's going in. I'm also slowly upping the phosphates too

Quote Originally Posted by Dylightful View Post
    That Balansae and Erio look fantastic. And is that a crinum as well?
    Thanks! Yes that's a crinum. The balansae kinda overtakes it but it's doing just fine.

A little while ago I got myself a Madagascar lace. Awsome plant and super fast grower. Today when I sat down I got a small surprise! Looks like a stalk/flower coming up! Did not expect it at all. Does anyone have experience with these or any help they can throw my way?

what a beauty! just look at those leaves...

never been game to grow expensive plants, but from what i've read, these boys dont like heat.
    [sigpic][/sigpic]
    We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors,
    We borrow it from our Children.

My MLPs have just started to kick into gear now it's getting colder. It feels good not having to chuck in so much ice every day (it's in a 4ft tank so it was about 10kg or more a couple of times per day in Summer I was using to get the temperature down to about 20-23C!). Your plant is beautiful and congrats on the flower! I haven't had any experience with pollination yet, but Grubs and Mirek are big MLP guys so you might be able to dig up some info on the forum of theirs about how to go about it.
    Rainbowfish, Cryptocoryne, Echinodorus

Bit of an update. It's been a busy few months for me and the family. My old man lost his fight with cancer .. Things are slowly going back to how they were but never is gonna be the same. Cancer can go get fk'ed.

The tank has been neglected. I've fertised when I remember and water change every couple of weeks. But it is surprisingly doing quite well. It's starting to turn into a jungle. Moss is growing out of control!

While dad was sick we had many visitors who loved the tank. One guy I spoke to said I should keep discus. I kinda said na they are too much work.. but the more I read about them, it didn't seem like much compared to what my usual schedule would be.

So here I am guys.. do I go down my discus path? Any reasons not too?

My main concerns, which I can't really find a definite answer too is... 1. How are they with high CO2 and 2. Will my plants really melt at 28/30 degrees. I have alot of buce that I wount want to be losing. I will be moving the lace on as I know it wount make it.

I'll be selling my more expensive'er fish to part fund the discus. Any tips comments or suggestions most welcome!

Hey man, great to hear from you again. Sorry to hear about your father; my condolences.

Discus is not a bad idea but have a look at this video before you plunge in.

tough times. my condolences, mate.

I've found that during times of hardship and stress that working on my tank can be therapeutic.
    i kept discus for a couple of years and found them quite a bit hardier than most people give them credit for. perhaps because i didn't keep uber fancy ones but still... make sure tank mates are ok with not only temp, but depleted O2 levels.

Feeding them is the finicky part. blood worms and beef heart. hope your family dont mind you keeping these things in your freezer!
    [sigpic][/sigpic]
    We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors,
    We borrow it from our Children.

I kept Discus for years (only stopped while I dabbled with Marine) and found them to be tougher than many other 'easy to keep' fish TBH. Dont believe the hype !!!

I look forward to picking up a new pair hopefully by Christmas.
    Whatever

Discus are quite hardy, the biggest issue is they are cichlids so managing aggression is the problem. They are easy to keep as a pair, but beyond that my personal preference is to have at least 8 or a lot more. Generally it's best to buy them all at once, adding one fish at a time over a few months is a recipe for disaster as the new fish will likely be bullied heavily upon introduction, sometimes to their death. Having excessive hiding places can lead to bullied discus hiding and not eating until they die. The final issue is the sheer size of them means they are an immense bioload on the system. A single adult discus (6") has a bioload equivalent to 150-200+ neon tetras. What does that mean in reality? Lots of water changes to cope with nitrates.

thanks for the comments guys. Ive made the decision and im gonna give them a shot. Will be selling off some of my current fish stock and plants in the next week to helo fund these discus!

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast