Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: One more, no more! A 5ft adventure

Wink One more, no more! A 5ft adventure

So my journey started a few months ago with a 60x45x45.. this was the end result of my first scape. A massive learning curve into the world of planted tanks!

long story short, I went over seas and left the tank to my brother. Sadly, I came back to an empty co2 bottle and a whole lot of BBA.. =( I tired for a good month to treat it, but in the end I tore it down threw everything in a bucket. In that week, BBA had gone! amazing! I'm not sure if it was the SAE that I bought or the one week black out.. maybe even both.

Lesson learnt.. never again will i ever run out of co2!

Anyways, this is the latest pic i have of where I'm at! A bit cloudy but you guys get the picture.

Theres been a few changes since, a few new plants, bit of moving around etc.. but i find myself at a point where I feel restricted and cramped with what I can do. I'm not sattisfied.

So. tonight i took the plunge and committed myself to to something else.. something that been sitting around the house doing nothing for years.. and eye sore to some.. a hidden gen for me..

... its time for a make over!
    Last edited by minhties; 11-10-16 at 08:48 AM.

Haha love it. I think you might be missing the 5 foot bottle from BOG, but then you would have the set.
    Looking forward to the build.

so over the weekend I got busy. Emptied the tank and gave it a good scrub, ripped out the fake rock background and stuck on the black. Bit of a pity the tank has so many scratches.. but alas, ill keep going.. maybe down the road I'll look at replacing it if really bothers me.

Here's where i ended it.

Fantastic bit of wood love the natural arch way it forms!

yep! they are amazing! its actually two pieces.

My order of aqua soil and new filter just arrived! looks like it will be a busy weekend!

Very nice wood!! Which type is it? Is it the elusive one that Tom Barr collects??

With the scratches, I reckon they don't show up much really; unless there is algae on them; which is really another issue.

Looking forward to this? Is it going to be a buce jungle?

Thanks Rebel. Unfortunately its not what Tom Barr collects .. just mangrove roots.

Does anyone know how to remove silicon marks? The original background was stuck on with silicon that I've scraped off with a blade, but there are still marks of where the silicon where? There's no actual silicon left on the glass though its smooth to the touch.

Yep, will mainly be buce in this tank with a few other bits and pieces.. havent really planned it yet!

yesterdays delivery!

Quote Originally Posted by minhties View Post
    Thanks Rebel. Unfortunately its not what Tom Barr collects .. just mangrove roots.

Does anyone know how to remove silicon marks? The original background was stuck on with silicon that I've scraped off with a blade, but there are still marks of where the silicon where? There's no actual silicon left on the glass though its smooth to the touch.
    To properly remove silicon you will need to use a petroleum based product. Mineral turps, white spirit or in a gel form silicon remover. It will need to be thoroughly removed from the glass before water is added and be super careful not to let it drip onto the silicon at the base of the tank or it will weaken it and a tank leak may form. WD40 also works.

Thanks Madmev, I'll give that a crack tonight.

Yes!!!
    Box photos!!!

Yew!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    [sigpic][/sigpic]
    We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors,
    We borrow it from our Children.

the wood is great and looks like you've invested quite a bit into this setup! looking at your 2fter you are a bit of a perfectionist you clearly know how to scape and maintain a planted aquarium and this 5fter tank is going to be a showpiece.

try fill up the tank and see how things turn out and if you can live with the scratches and imperfections on the glass. it is not going to be easy to replace a 5fter once it is planted

Maybe you could replace the front glass with starfire.... Just thinking out loud.

Interested to see how the FX4 performs. What's the inside diameter of the hoses?

Tim

Bit of an update over the weekend.

I did a rough scape of what I’ve envisaged. Not 100% happy with it so I’ll have a play around with it over the next few days. I want to get the mountain of rocks bigger and taller. Not entirely sure of the rock selection either, there's lava rock on it right now, I'm not sure if i should change it up to rivers stone for the more natural look?
    Reason for the lava rock was for ease of attaching plants. Thoughts?

I used acetone to clean up all the silicon spots on the glass, it worked ok a lot of elbow grease, but just took far too long. I ended up finding some kerosene which worked wonders.

The tank will stay how it is… and I’ll probably upgrade to something more flashy later when funds permit!

Anyways, update pic!

Last edited by minhties; 17-10-16 at 07:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mundi View Post
    Interested to see how the FX4 performs. What's the inside diameter of the hoses?

Tim
    The filter is still in the box, but the hosing size is 24mm from what I remember. It's the same as the FX5/6.

I'll open it up and measure it up tonight.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast