Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: 1ft Cube - Jungle Scape

Thats a fair call Doyle, makes sense.
    Might look for some dwarf corries and a couple of CPD's (Love the look of CPD's)!!

Thanks for the info

Quote Originally Posted by doylecolmdoyle View Post
    Added 6 ember tetras to this tank today, moved them over from my 60p (my nephew took about 10 for his tank), they bring some life to the tank as the CPDs just hang at the back, still have 5 pygmy corys who are not fazed by anything or anyone, aways buzzing around, unsure how many CPDs are in the tank as they just hide and dash out to get food when feeding.

IMG_1870 by Colm Doyle, on Flickr
    Looking nice man I would one day like a small 1ft cube. You could put it anywhere given how small it is.

Also what type of co2 diffuser are you using? It looks similar to ones you find for cheap on eBay from China but it looks taller. Does it dissolve the co2 well? I used similar ones but could never get enough pressure to push the bubbles through

Quote Originally Posted by Monty1089 View Post
    Looking nice man I would one day like a small 1ft cube. You could put it anywhere given how small it is.

Also what type of co2 diffuser are you using? It looks similar to ones you find for cheap on eBay from China but it looks taller. Does it dissolve the co2 well? I used similar ones but could never get enough pressure to push the bubbles through
    Cheers, this tank sits next to my TV!

Yah its just from ebay or maybe hinterfeld, a cheap unit, perhaps $10 or something, I have a few of them different sizes but basically the same, I think this is the biggest one about 20cm long. Doesn't really dissolve very well because i run the regulator at the lowest bubble count I can, about 1 bubble very 2 seconds, its just a cheap reg with no solenoid so I run the co2 24/7. Sometimes I get small fine bubbles which float around the tank nicely as you would want and sometimes they are larger and rise straight to the top fast. Generally it seems the co2 only diffuses from a few pores in the ceramic disc, at a higher rate you get more of the disc diffusing but at a low rate only one or two "streams" of bubbles. Either way the drop checker stays a nice green colour so it does the job. Also i find this kind of diffuser noisey, it makes a chirping / bleeping noise constantly, I am use to it now a year or so later, at the start it drove me crazy, now its kind of like a normal background noise :P Seem to only get this noise with low bubble counts on the glass diffusers which hang over the edge of the glass
    Last edited by doylecolmdoyle; 27-04-18 at 02:12 PM.

A nice tank idea would be a small TV tank

I think this may be the diffuser:

http://www.hinterfeld.com/aquarium-n...em-plant-tank/

That is usually the most complained about issue with these diffusers that they don't diffuse very well. But i also bought one anyway Apparently you can clean the ceramic disc with bleach i believe to open the pores up.

I couldn't get mine to work properly but if it works well for you then why change it!

Similar diffuser, that one you posted you need to run the tube down to the diffuser in the tank, i never liked them as I couldn't get the tube to sit nicely etc, this is the I have currently, also have the small size which is a bit shorter and smaller ceramic

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Aquarium...QhIY4GO1bJolyw

bit of a institute photo, the tank is so dark now you can hardly see in it with the light on :P

IMG_2001 by Colm Doyle, on Flickr

I love love love this!!! I am wild with envy right now! You must tell me all your secrets.
    As a young boy, I dreamed of being a baseball; but tonight I say, we must move forward, not backward; upward, not forward; and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom!

Secret is low light/floating plants with CO2. :P Doyle may tell all one day.....

Haha no real secret here, as rebel said, this one has low light on for 5 hours a day (up aqua pro LED) with floaters (frogbit, generally always have a bit of this in all my tanks, good measure of nutrient level, if they look soft, brown or get holes etc ferts must be low)
    Run co2 24/7, drop checker is always a mid / dark green (above photo was taken after i refreshed drop checker liquid) aprox 1 bubble every 2 seconds
    Light on the ferts, been using Aquavitro the past year or so but any NPK + Trace + Iron would do, I dose about 3/4 times a week to hit EI low / weekly levels as per https://rotalabutterfly.com/nutrient-calculator.php
    Weekly 50% (ish) water changes

I think the main thing is low light and large plant mass, obviously takes time to build up plant mass but start with as much as you can! Also for this style only use slow growing plants, java ferns, anubias, buce etc and just let it grow, I have only thinned out the java fern once, its due for a thin out again but generally only need to get my hands in the tank once every six months or so.
    Last edited by doylecolmdoyle; 14-06-18 at 12:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by doylecolmdoyle View Post
    Haha no real secret here, as rebel said, this one has low light on for 5 hours a day (up aqua pro LED) with floaters (frogbit, generally always have a bit of this in all my tanks, good measure of nutrient level, if they look soft, brown or get holes etc ferts must be low)
    Where did you get your UpAqua pro? I've had a brief look online but my google-fu fails me and just brings up a lot of AquaOne stuff. And, dumb question, but what are floaters/frogbits?

Run co2 24/7, drop checker is always a mid / dark green (above photo was taken after i refreshed drop checker liquid) aprox 1 bubble every 2 seconds
    Cool, cool, so how would you re-phrase this so that a complete noob would understand it? Asking for a friend..

Aquavitro the past year or so but any NPK + Trace + Iron
    Is that similar to Seachem Flourish? Also, do people still rate Purigen as the best product for making water sparkly clear?
    As a young boy, I dreamed of being a baseball; but tonight I say, we must move forward, not backward; upward, not forward; and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom!

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainVader View Post
    Where did you get your UpAqua pro? I've had a brief look online but my google-fu fails me and just brings up a lot of AquaOne stuff. And, dumb question, but what are floaters/frogbits?

Cool, cool, so how would you re-phrase this so that a complete noob would understand it? Asking for a friend..

Is that similar to Seachem Flourish? Also, do people still rate Purigen as the best product for making water sparkly clear?
    Up aqua LED - https://www.aquariumgallery.com.au/c...light-aus-plug

Frogbit - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limnobium_laevigatum note not legal in all states of Australia, its a weed.

Co2 - Personally I run 24/7 co2, many ppl say this is a waste but works for me, normally you would have a solenoid attached to your co2 regulator, the solenoid is attached to a power timer and this turns on and off the co2, usually co2 turns on 1-2 hours before your lights go on and turns off 1 hour before you lights go off.

With 24/7 co2 you set the co2 rate fairly slow with the needle valve, your bubble counter should be around 1 bubble every 2 seconds for a 30cm cube, bigger aquariums will need a higher bubble rate. You need to have good surface agitation with this method as you could kill your fish, surface agitation helps balance co2 and o2 by gassing off co2 and drawing o2 into the water due to the surface movement, best to start without any fish if you want to try 24/7 co2, get plants established with high co2 then dial down your co2 to levels fish can handle. I have never lost a fish to co2 gassing, personally I think 24/7 co2 is safe as long as your surface is moving nicely.

Ferts - Flourish really only adds trace/iron, any very low levels of NPK, Nitrogen, Potassium and Phosphate in Flourish are fairly low and seems iron is the most concentrated... if you tried to dose Flourish to hit 10ppm of Nitrogen your iron levels would be way to high and you would need to add half the bottle!

I would pass on using Flourish and look into one of the other All in one ferts, Rebel on the forum makes a mix which would suit - Green elements, Liverpool creak aquariums also sell premixed ferts, both these options are much stronger than Flourish and have a better balance for a planted tank. Otherwise try use Seachem Flourish Nitrogen, Flourish Phosphorus and Flourish Potassium to provide NPK and then just the standard Seachem Flourish for iron and trace

Purigen is great for clearing up tinted water, I still use it in some tanks, but for this cube I dont bother (filter is to small to fit purigen) the water is actually tinted a bit brown from the bog wood but is not noticeable as it he light level is really low
    Last edited by doylecolmdoyle; 14-06-18 at 02:59 PM.

In a stroke of good luck, it seems my new LFS stock UpAqua lights so I'll be investing in one this weekend

Thank you x millions for all your advice. I think I'm going to hold off on fancy co2 for awhile, I might try DIY again or dosing with Excel (that's still a thing, right?)

I'll definitely start reading up on ferts, I've been growing some of the basics rather successfully (java fern and moss, crypts, etc) but am branching out into fissdens, and some prettier mosses so want to be sure I'm doing the right thing to ensure they grow happily and healthily. But I also want to add some Hastatus to the tank, so need to ensure I'm not dosing them to ill effect haha

Again, thank you for your help!

Vader, have a look at chihiros range. I got my girlfriend the A series and it feels a lot brighter than my upaqua pro Z. Also comes with the dimmer so you don't have to go out there and buy one. It looks sleeker in my opinion with the nice flat acrylic legs. I think it is cheaper too

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910