Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 1ft Cube - Jungle Scape

Default 1ft Cube - Jungle Scape

I recently pulled down my Marimo Hills scape and since I flooded my other 2 tanks I have been itching to put together something new, very early stages but I picked up a nice lump of wood to use as the main feature, the tank will house my Girlfriends betta as she hasn't had much time to look after him lately.

Early stages but here is the wood sitting in the tank, I almost like the look of a bare bottom... not to sure what direction I will take, I want to utilize the 30 odd marimo balls I have, perhaps have all the marimos sitting on the bar bottom and some low tech pants tied to lava stone behind the wood.

Tank: 30cm Cube
    lighting: 30cm Up Aqua LED light
    Filter: Ehiem Aquacompact 40
    Hardscape: Driftwood and sieryu stone
    Substrate: ?
    Plants: ?

Last edited by doylecolmdoyle; 22-03-17 at 10:31 PM.

Have done a little research on plants, thinking I will avoid any plants that need substrate to feed, the list so far:

Bolbitis
    Java fern
    Narrow leaf java fern
    Anubias Congensis
    Anubias Nana

These are all new plants to me so should be interesting, any other recommendations on plants that I can source in WA? I will probably pick up these from Aquarium Gallery Perth / order them online.

I'd go mini java, maybe trident and anubis nana 'petite'.... smaller varieties.

Quote Originally Posted by doylecolmdoyle View Post
    Have done a little research on plants, thinking I will avoid any plants that need substrate to feed, the list so far:

Bolbitis
    Narrow leaf java fern
    Anubias Nana
    I can help with these if you still want some?
    PM me, im due you a favour

Graeme
    Read this very helpful thread on BSS .
    No pictures on your BSS advert? Then be prepared for it to be deleted ( read the rules )

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    I'd go mini java, maybe trident and anubis nana 'petite'.... smaller varieties.
    Havent come across mini Java from stores in Perth, but will keep a eye out and hit up gumtree, AGP do list nana petite but last time i checked they didnt have stock, mite be able to get some small buce plants.

Quote Originally Posted by Graeme View Post
    I can help with these if you still want some?
    PM me, im due you a favour

Graeme
    Thanks Graeme, will drop you a pm, I am probably about a week away from needing plants, will be in touch.

That kind of set up really appeals to my minimalist outlook. Perhaps some kind of dark or black sand in a 1-2cm layer just to cover the glass reflection would look good.
    I'm due to do a trim on my flame moss soon and would be happy to donate some if you want it.

Minimalist be-gone! This is what I am thinking... messy mockup :P

Unsure what to do for the substrate, I am thinking La plata sand big, will build up the rear behind the wood with lava rock and also prop up the wood a little higher with rocks, perhaps use some seiryu stone. I could smash up a heap of seiryu and use that as a kind of gravel / substrate as I have way to much left over form pervious scapes but it mite rase the PH / GH to much?

Looks like a good plan Love the marimo carpet at the front.

I've got a lot of Seiryu in my tank...
    KH: 90ppm
    GH: 125ppm
    PH: 7.5

I'd like everything to be lower but my betta is doing fine.
    My plants (mostly anubias nana) is healthy but doesn't grow much (and I don't expect it to).
    Luke

Wow that bit of wood is soooooo good!!

One slightly out of the box idea would be bank the sub all the way to the top at the back and have the wood at an angle with a bunch of marimo 'sliding' down the wood to pool at the bottom. Put the biggest marimo at the bottom and smallest at the top.... Oliver Knott would be proud.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    Wow that bit of wood is soooooo good!!

One slightly out of the box idea would be bank the sub all the way to the top at the back and have the wood at an angle with a bunch of marimo 'sliding' down the wood to pool at the bottom. Put the biggest marimo at the bottom and smallest at the top.... Oliver Knott would be proud.
    Maybe, cool idea! I will pay around with some layouts when i get my delivery of sand a stone etc... Tho I kind of want space behind the wood so I can glue the java ferns etc to lava rock and hide the rock behind the wood. But I think I will need the substrate built up towards the back but perhaps only a 3-4 inches so the ferns have room to grow up

My girlfriends Betta died so no rush to get this one filled but I played around with the hardscape a bit today and this is how it looks so far, Its hard to know how much room to leave for the java ferns etc at the back... but I think this will work, I will incorporate some anubias nana petite, Mini Java, Narrow Java and Bolbitis thanks to Graeme!! Cheers again

I will probably also add some buce from my other tanks. I am not sure how the Marimos will look, mite scrap them

Ah that's sad scape is looking good though!

Great choice on filter too—I love my Aquacompact...
    Luke

added a bunch of plants and filled up the tank, I think using the ADA Bio Rio as substrate filler was a mistake, it keeps floating and the water is very cloudy, hopefully it clears up overnight, will try get a better photo tomorrow.

I added; Java Fern, Mini Java Fern, Narrow Java Fern, Bolbitis, Anubias Nana, Anubias Nana Petite, Anubias Congensis and a few Marimo balls.

Cloudy water photo:

Quote Originally Posted by doylecolmdoyle View Post
    added a bunch of plants and filled up the tank, I think using the ADA Bio Rio as substrate filler was a mistake, it keeps floating and the water is very cloudy, hopefully it clears up overnight, will try get a better photo tomorrow.

I added; Java Fern, Mini Java Fern, Narrow Java Fern, Bolbitis, Anubias Nana, Anubias Nana Petite, Anubias Congensis and a few Marimo balls.
    Looking much better with the green behind the wood.
    Will the Marimo balls roll to the front glass with the slope? Where did you get them from? LFS or private?

Quote Originally Posted by Madmerv View Post
    Looking much better with the green behind the wood.
    Will the Marimo balls roll to the front glass with the slope? Where did you get them from? LFS or private?
    Thanks, got the marimo's from private sellers, I have about 20+ more, mite move them on.

Yes they roll to the glass if not supported

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast