Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 1ft Cube - Jungle Scape

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    Ferns will often die off from high to low transition. No need to worry.

btw loving those Marimos! ?Have you propogated them yet? If you can get slightly smaller balls maybe you could have them tumbling around in your kool Iwagumi scape... I don't think I've ever seen that....
    Cheers, yet to propagate any marimo balls manually they do split them selfs randomly for no real reason, have had a few of the larger balls about 5 / 6 cm split into two, I still have a heap of balls sitting in a plastic container, need to work out what to do with them, perhaps some kind of Wabi-Kusa

Dont really want to put them in my high tech tanks they shed there "fluff" and it attaches to the rocks etc, its kind of messy if you dont roll them faily often to keep them compact.

I added a few cherry shrimp and DAE shrimp they are going to town on the slight fuzz that was on the wood and diatoms all over the gravel

I see, so they can fluff out and grow like algae? That's terrifying....

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    I see, so they can fluff out and grow like algae? That's terrifying....
    Not so much like a algae... the strands / fluff doesn't really attach well to rocks / wood etc so its not to bad to clean, this was more noticeable when i had the "Marimo Hills" scape as there was 30+ Balls in the cube... perhaps to many :P

Techinally they are some kind of algae but I have also read really suck up excess nutrients so they must be kind of useful!

Marimo are indeed an algae - a Cladophora. (Kingdom: Plantae, binomial name Aegagropila linnaei) If bits come off the main ball, it tends to get tossed around a bit, usually settling down in between things on the bottom of the tank. That's basically how it "reproduces" in nature (the algae itself reproduces like other alga, but most people think of the whole ball as 1 plant rather than what is essentially a colony of sorts, so that's why the " "). It gets stuck in my hairgrass and such. As mentioned, it doesn't attach to stuff well and if you don't like it, you can siphon it up during water changes with a gravel vac. And then try to roll the bits you get into a new mini ball. Or spread it out on a rock with some mesh and make a fuzzy green rock. It is much slower growing than hair algae or BBA, so it's very unlikely to take over your tank... even if you're TRYING to propagate it.

Like other plants, it does compete with the normally dreaded alga for nutrients.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaylenna View Post
    Marimo are indeed an algae - a Cladophora. (Kingdom: Plantae, binomial name Aegagropila linnaei) If bits come off the main ball, it tends to get tossed around a bit, usually settling down in between things on the bottom of the tank. That's basically how it "reproduces" in nature (the algae itself reproduces like other alga, but most people think of the whole ball as 1 plant rather than what is essentially a colony of sorts, so that's why the " "). It gets stuck in my hairgrass and such. As mentioned, it doesn't attach to stuff well and if you don't like it, you can siphon it up during water changes with a gravel vac. And then try to roll the bits you get into a new mini ball. Or spread it out on a rock with some mesh and make a fuzzy green rock. It is much slower growing than hair algae or BBA, so it's very unlikely to take over your tank... even if you're TRYING to propagate it.

Like other plants, it does compete with the normally dreaded alga for nutrients.
    Good info Kaylenna, they also only grow at a very slow rate, at about 5mm a year or less, I have one ball that is about 8 - 10 cm big... god knows how old it is, when they get above 5 - 6cm the centre actually hollows out.

Added more Marimos and some more narrow java fern, water is still tinted from the wood but it doesn't really bother me, I was running a airstone for no real reason but had to remove to use in another tank, Ive decided not to put it back as it was a bit noisey, will be interesting to see if not using the airstone has any effect... probably not.

_MG_5903 by Colm Doyle, on Flickr
    Last edited by doylecolmdoyle; 23-10-16 at 05:30 PM.

Got a few new Buce plants, tho they are a bit twisted and scraggly they help fill out the diftwood area, I also got a new 10 - 18mm lens, this photo is taken at about 10mm with the lens pretty much right up on the glass... kind of intresting tho make the ferns look small, could look cool when they grow out some more.

_MG_5931 by Colm Doyle, on Flickr

The buce will probably look less scraggly in a few weeks when the leaves figure out where the light is and point themselves in the right direction Never kept buce, but that's what anubias tends to do.

10mm really gives the tank a lot of depth! What body are you shooting with?
    Luke

Quote Originally Posted by Leukeh View Post
    The buce will probably look less scraggly in a few weeks when the leaves figure out where the light is and point themselves in the right direction Never kept buce, but that's what anubias tends to do.

10mm really gives the tank a lot of depth! What body are you shooting with?
    Thanks yes im sure they will untangle soon! I am using a Canon 7d (mk1)

Tanks looking great. How do you find the up aqua light? Iv just purchased one and waiting for it to come, so i hope there good! Ill be setting up a low/med tech cube for my betta soon and am currently getting as much inspiration as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by deano3 View Post
    Tanks looking great. How do you find the up aqua light? Iv just purchased one and waiting for it to come, so i hope there good! Ill be setting up a low/med tech cube for my betta soon and am currently getting as much inspiration as possible.
    The light seems good, fine for low tech, I only run it 5 hrs a day as I dont want to deal with to much algae, growth is slow but still getting some growth, just took this photo today.

_MG_6360 by Colm Doyle, on Flickr

Buce are looking good, as it the rest of the tank.

Are you after the tannin stained look, or is it just a result of the driftwood?

Personally, I think I'd prefer it with less marimo. The marimo seems to dominate the tank a bit too much.

Quote Originally Posted by eciuj View Post
    Buce are looking good, as it the rest of the tank.

Are you after the tannin stained look, or is it just a result of the driftwood?

Personally, I think I'd prefer it with less marimo. The marimo seems to dominate the tank a bit too much.
    Thanks, kind of agree the Marimos look a bit odd but ill keep them for now. Yes the buce plants are growing well, pretty much as fast as in my hightech tanks.

The drift wood keeps staining the water, I dont mind the look and could even try some dry leaves to stain it more...

Loving the texture of that driftwood

Are you still planning on putting a betta in at some point or keeping it just for shrimp?
    Luke

Buce would really shine wih clear water though!

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast