Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 1ft Cube - Jungle Scape

Looking good...

too late perhaps to mention but that big substrate size will make the tank look smaller. I'd go for fine sand or something similar.

Sorry to hear about betta...

Cheers, not to concerned about scale etc for this tank, just want to try grow some low tech plants :P tho i could probably syphon out some of the la plata big and put some sand down the front, mite get some sand next time i am at a fish store

Updated photo, the water finally cleared after about 2 days or so, was about to drive to petbarn to get some seachem clarity but switched the light onto clear water!

If I can get this to grow into a bushy Jungle I will be happy, I have no idea what I am doing with low tech plants tho, much more comfortable with my high tech tanks, I need to figure out what to do in regards to ferts and lighting, ATM I run the light for 5 hrs and dosed a bit of Seachem Flourish and a bit of Liquid carbon.

Not sure if I need to start going the full NPK route or will flourish do the job?

Perfect tank for Green Element All-In-One Fert!

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    Lol I do need some Glut mite take you up on the offer of the fert and glut package... tho I cant spend any more money on fishtanks for a week or so :P

A few days in and things seem stable, but i guess they should be with the lack of soil, need to do a water test but hoping my old filter media will cycle the tank...

30CM Cube - Low Tech Aquarium by Colm Doyle, on Flickr

Love ya work dude. Low tech certainly looks good in your hands...

Question, trimming Anubias nana, should I cut of these leaves? They where like this when I got the plants, am I better of trimming them away now.

Edit, I googled and yes I should trim them!

Last edited by doylecolmdoyle; 17-09-16 at 01:50 PM.

Agree - trim them!

It's a hardy plant. I've trimmed mine down to 1-2 leaves before with good results.

You will encourage new growth if you trim it down, just make sure there is enough of the plant left so it can carry on.

Added a few buce plants today, not to sure on the species any ideas?

Low Tech 30cm Cube Aquascape by Colm Doyle, on Flickr
    Last edited by doylecolmdoyle; 04-10-16 at 05:42 PM.

Finding low tech tricky / frustrating, trimmed away lot of dead fern leafs last night, perhaps they are just adjusting to my tank, tempted to convert to co2 but I should give it some more time.

30cm Cube Aquarium by Colm Doyle, on Flickr

Stay the course !

Your patience will be rewarded in good time. Adding CO2 will speed things up without too much drama.
    [sigpic][/sigpic]
    We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors,
    We borrow it from our Children.

6-12 months and you can get there. With any tech, it's best to start off with very high density planting IMO. Low density planting is only appropriate for high tech but perhaps for more experienced punters as this causes algae.

With Anubis though, even with high tech, you can expect one leaf per week at a maximum and slightly more if you are expert grower. Bolbitis will take about 2 months to acclimatise. It can grow 2xfaster than Anubis if you give it high flow/high light. It will take about 3 months to double in low tech. Java fern will probably be the fastest growing in low tech.

With glut, you may get about 1/3 of high tech rates.

With the above plants, when they get established, things can accelerate more but it depends on 'ideal' conditions. For example, in my tank, I note that Bolbitis can grow crazy in one area but not other.

Thanks for the advice guys, I just felt like the plants where rotting away but looking back at the previous photo there has been some growth with the big java fern and I can see a few new Anubis leafs. Will stick with low tech and keep on top of maintenance

Ferns will often die off from high to low transition. No need to worry.

btw loving those Marimos! ?Have you propogated them yet? If you can get slightly smaller balls maybe you could have them tumbling around in your kool Iwagumi scape... I don't think I've ever seen that....

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast