Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: First Greenhouse Attempt

Nice crypto - great to see its all working so well. What is the water temperature in the troughs? I've got 4000litres circulating in my glasshouse and its at 11C at the moment so I've had to move plants back into the fishroom. I'm installing some solar swimming pool heating just to see if if I can lift it a few degrees but of course that only helps if the sun comes out. Hard to stay warm when you get a week of 0-13C max.

Thanks, Grubs! I'll have to get back to you on that. Cold enough to move the breeders out of the IBCs though! I'm guessing around 10-20C. With the IBCs only about half-filled with water there isn't too much water in there as a thermal mass. That's a pretty good idea about heating using a pool heater. The hope is to get something similar going too, maybe some sort of compost heater like Rebel brought up a while back (I think?). We have tried a filtration system on the Pacific Blue-eye spa which went through a coil of black piping but there were too many corners in it (as it was attached to a screen door) to have the water come out the other end as anything more than a trickle. Solar may be more successful...

And thanks, Dave! Hopefully in the summer they'll also be looking a lot more healthy. Many of these had been left a bit unhappy after a vicious rat attack. A few of the horemanii and uruguayensis forms were the worst hit as they were small to begin with and were also potted the day or a few days before the rat attack. Couple this with the low temperatures due to winter and it's become very bad news. A few are still touch and go and have been bagged and moved under the house under artificial light where a it's a bit warmer. Fingers crossed!
    Last edited by Cryptocorynus; 16-07-18 at 04:34 PM.
    Rainbowfish, Cryptocoryne, Echinodorus

Hi Grubs, is your glasshouse double walled with good air seals?. Otherwise you wont be able to maintain the heat even if you capture it.

Solar heater like this?
    https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/vidaXL-2...sid=m570.l1313
    Last edited by Rebel; 16-07-18 at 10:19 AM.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678