Thread: Photos of my First Paludarium Attempt and the obligatory comments.

Default Photos of my First Paludarium Attempt and the obligatory comments.

This is a Cade Paludarium at Aquaristic Arncliffe.....I threw the plants in for the opening of the new shop.
    The design objective was to avoid the common problems people face when setting up such a tank.
    Mud isn't a good look....same goes for burned foliage.....sick plants and so on.
    So,that's why the tank looks like this.

Saw this one during our visit last year! Nice work AR. I see a couple air plants and bromeliads. Others no idea! Is the tank still going?

Wowsers! .. beautiful job there AR. The flowering is testament to the plants being happy as (bro).

i was there last weekend and saw it too. didnt notice the flower through (or maybe i forgot). when were the photos taken?

Yep....Billy and David HATED it and pulled it apart in a vortex of spite......and then had the nerve to ask if I had more Spanish Moss.....Dog Luv 'Em.
    At this stage of my life I just don't have the energy to be nice to people. Freedom of speech in every sense!
    So, what was the subject?
    OH YES.....why did I plant it this way? I went thru lots of Paludarium articles, forums and blogs and found several areas a little 'greyish'.
    One of the first questions is, 'How do I keep the soil out of the water?' This is followed by much discussion, thought,drawing and invention but,for beginners, this is still a big problem.
    AR answer....'Don't use soil'. I love stating the obvious. Let's face it, a showroom tank cannot get the same attention as a single tank in the living room.Keep it simple.
    Back later with more considerations for the novice Paludarium designer....even if this was my first and only. I almost felt like a virgin for a moment.

Quote Originally Posted by nautilusly View Post
    i was there last weekend and saw it too. didnt notice the flower through (or maybe i forgot). when were the photos taken?
    Yes mate....the photos were from the opening last year.

Hi anthonyrae! So... i was on here a lot years ago and have only just come back, but i seem to remember you being a super expert on emerse growth- how is this your first paludarium? Am i having a major senior moment? (entirely possible...)
    Cheers,
    Merry

These aren't stupid people, these are smart zombies.

ps=- of couse it looks amazing!!!! That goes without saying (well, it nearly did )
    Cheers,
    Merry

These aren't stupid people, these are smart zombies.

Quote Originally Posted by merry78 View Post
    Hi, so how is this your first paludarium? Am i having a major senior moment? (entirely possible...)
    Hello Merry....I've just popped back too!! Yes, I've played a lot with emerse growth but this is the first attempt at a formal Paludarium.

Anyway
    Why Choose These Plants??
    Let's say I made an educated guess at which plants would thrive in a Cade tank. Even though the tank is fan ventilated, the humidity and the sudden change in temperature with lighting turned on or off creates a very nice environment for fungus spores to germinate. I avoided plants with furry or hairy leaves like African Violets as these are very fungus happy.
    I always have some Philodendron, Syngonium and Scindapsus cuttings hanging around.They quickly produce long roots which extract Ammonia and Nitrates and grow easily in lower light than most plants. These were very handy since I could simply drape the roots into the water and then weave the stems around the driftwood.
    I knew that most bromeliads can handle the conditions and can be gathered with very small root systems. They are easy to mount without soil so were definitely worth a go. Cryptanthus ( Earthstars) can be ordered thru your lfs from Pisces. Again...minimal roots. Spanish Moss gives a nice Tropical ambience and has no roots. The other Tillandsias appear to really like the Cade tank since they were not flowering when I mounted them!
    Wandering Jew (Tradescantia) species are very adaptable and some have colour. I also used a couple of small Cyperus because of their Riparian nature.
    If anyone has any questions about plant choice I will be happy to help.
    Last edited by anthonyrae; 01-01-17 at 01:56 AM.

Now I have motivation to get stuff for a paludarium. And a bottle terrarium too

Research Studies:
    http://reefbase.org/resource_center/publication/main.aspx