Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: My first pond - basic questions (victoria)

I reckon a clown loach could have a great party! Could they survive/be ok for the summer. Wonder how you'd catch it again though.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    I reckon a clown loach could have a great party! Could they survive/be ok for the summer. Wonder how you'd catch it again though.
    That's my issue. I can easily have them for 6 months, but how to catch them for winter? Maybe a baited trap? what if they breed? Will I be condemning the poor babies?

Quote Originally Posted by GreyhoundOz View Post
    That's my issue. I can easily have them for 6 months, but how to catch them for winter? Maybe a baited trap? what if they breed? Will I be condemning the poor babies?
    Not sure. They won't breed though.

There were some natives which ate snails... I think Grubs had them...Penny fish?

GreyhoundOz, you can safely assume that anything you put into your pond, you're never gonna get out.
    having said that, ferals can enter our waterways if your pond overflows during heavy rains. cant win, hey!

anyways, keeping it regional is always best. have you hit up your local angfa vic group? they would be more than happy to help stock your pond with natives. and as for snail control, a handful of local macros would be in snail buffet heaven.

winter is never a good time to set up an outdoor system from scratch. sometimes it can't be helped. but now that the warmer weather is coming, your pond is gonna start getting a lot of critters moving in. local frogs and bugs and birds to boot. adding fish after the bugs have moved in help them establish, so you should be right here on in. just hit up angfa for local advice.
    cold weather shouldn't be a problem next season as it will be gradual and your fish will have settled in. i had a p.mellis colony for years in a small tub that self sustained without extra feed or maintenance. survived frost and blazing summers.
    [sigpic][/sigpic]
    We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors,
    We borrow it from our Children.

Quote Originally Posted by PiL View Post
    GreyhoundOz, you can safely assume that anything you put into your pond, you're never gonna get out.
    having said that, ferals can enter our waterways if your pond overflows during heavy rains. cant win, hey!

anyways, keeping it regional is always best. have you hit up your local angfa vic group? they would be more than happy to help stock your pond with natives. and as for snail control, a handful of local macros would be in snail buffet heaven.

winter is never a good time to set up an outdoor system from scratch. sometimes it can't be helped. but now that the warmer weather is coming, your pond is gonna start getting a lot of critters moving in. local frogs and bugs and birds to boot. adding fish after the bugs have moved in help them establish, so you should be right here on in. just hit up angfa for local advice.
    cold weather shouldn't be a problem next season as it will be gradual and your fish will have settled in. i had a p.mellis colony for years in a small tub that self sustained without extra feed or maintenance. survived frost and blazing summers.
    thanks for the advice. I didn't know about ANGFA, will google them up.

update:

Getting much much better.
    + The snail population is now still existent but less obvious, which I put down to the macrobrachiums I introduced.
    + learnt a lot about which plants work and which ones don't. It's getting healthier
    + algae are still a monthly clean-up but nothing is getting out of control, and if anything maintenance is becoming easier.
    + filtering is working SO well, the water is completely see through
    + I've heard my first spotted marsh frog on the 4th of November.

most rainbows didn't work out except for the barcoo river rainbows. I've ordered 10 more to replenish the ones that didn't survive winter.

bit of blurb about those rainbows:
    These fish inhabit one of the most unhospitable riverine environments in the world. Water temperatures vary wildly through-out the year. Even in a 24 hour period this region experiences enormous air temperature ranges. Overnight low can be about 12 Celsius in summer with a daytime high in the 40s. In winter overnight lows can be below freezing, while the next day can be in the comfortable 20s (Celsius). General water quality is also under pressure as the flow of freshwater is infrequent to say the least.

This means, this little fellow makes a very hardy aquarium fish, able to suffer the consequences of the casual inexperienced fish keeper. A heater is not required under normal conditions for an indoor aquarium.
    the failure:
    - my wife and kids insisted on introducing 2 gold fish (Dad your fishes are boring we barely see them) and one of them survived. I think 1. I have only ever spotted one and I think it's the same one. He's very very shy and hides a lot in the plants. I always had a plan to transition it to the upper pool once he was becoming big enough - but I have no idea now how to catch it.

New pics:

Last edited by GreyhoundOz; 10-11-16 at 06:39 AM.

Amazing pond! Any​ updates? How did you go through the summer?

Wow lovely stuff indeed. I am very jealous!!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234