Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My first pond - basic questions (victoria)

Quote Originally Posted by dcm View Post
    My pond (around 5,000l) is in Brisbane and it's still #$# cold right now! I've measured the water temperature as low as 12C. [...] I just chucked in half a dozen blue eyes (and some paradise fish)
    Ok I'm impressed, we had the coldest days last week and the pond is deep enough that it doesn't go below 9C, but usually 10-12C every winter day.
    I thought blue eyes were out of reach for my southern state.

Any opinion on which fish can live through 10C in winter?
    I have my eyes on: Barcoo River Rainbow, Deep Water Creek Rainbow, and more Murray River 'bows. Possibly glass shrimps.

I only know a source for sold larger wetland panels which were 1.2mx1.2m and smallest being 60cm if I remember correctly.
    What we did to secure them was cable wire secured to a concrete block or homemade "anchors" with a meter of extra slack from the floating panel to the anchor.
    You can get creative with how you secure it, as long as there's some free play to move abit or else increases in water levels could sink the panel or wind could cause tilting and eventually flipping.
    As for the look, they do start out looking pretty stupid but once the plants take the panel over it looks better
    I think Clearpond sells a smaller planter basket version which is much smaller but you'd have to check if they still have stock.
    DIY would also work well but will take alot of tinkering to account for the extra weight and root mass once grown in.

With floating plants, they will take over. with adequate aeration or strong surface movement, they can be moved to the sides as duckweeds and azolla don't like moving water.
    Lillies would be your best floating plants without getting overly invasive. That being said, it's very personal and I like the look of azolla and duckweed at the sides of the pond if it can be kept at the sides only.

As for the water flow and the leaching of organics, maybe monitor it for now to see if the pond matures and things sort itself or if things get worse.
    If its the latter and your sludge and gas buildups don't resolve itself you could physically remove some of the sludge and then get some bottom diffused aeration put in the deepest notch to solve the anaerobic sludge buildup on the bottom. If physical removal doesn't sound appealing, there are bacteria products for pond sludge just like the host of bacteria supplements we get sold for aquariums

Ya sufficient surface agitation should keep mozzies at bay.
    Last edited by just_bkoz; 11-08-16 at 09:12 AM. Reason: Wrong picture

Quote Originally Posted by just_bkoz View Post
    I think Clearpond sells a smaller planter basket version which is much smaller but you'd have to check if they still have stock.
    I checked out the baskets they had, how does the buoyancy work?
    Do I need to include anything in there for it to float?

They should have a float and a basket that drops in.
    With that one its harder to cover the plastic because I think their float is quite chunky.
    With the buoyancy it should be fine until the plants get really overgrown then you just give it occasional trimmings.
    I believe its usually just some plastic frame with foam injection.
    Oh yeah those plastic things sticking up in the first picture are bird guards cause until the roots establish bird will rip it up.

These might be fun at the smaller scale end? http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Garden-Po...-/251707811161

Quote Originally Posted by GreyhoundOz View Post
    Any opinion on which fish can live through 10C in winter?
    Anything you catch out of your local creek should be able to take any temperatures you will experience. Most south-eastern localities of P. signifer should take those temperatures, as will most R. ornatus and M. duboulayi. If you're talking about Deepwater Creek M. s. splendida, you may have some trouble keeping them in those temperatures. A good thing to do would be to check on a map where they naturally occur (maps for species can be easily found here) and guess temperature ranges accordingly - if they're not found in an area with similar temperatures to your own, assume they're not there for that reason.
    Last edited by Cryptocorynus; 13-08-16 at 07:03 AM.
    Rainbowfish, Cryptocoryne, Echinodorus

Quote Originally Posted by Grubs View Post
    These might be fun at the smaller scale end? http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Garden-Po...-/251707811161
    These look great, I might pick them up!

Quote Originally Posted by Cryptocorynus View Post
    Anything you catch out of your local creek should be able to take any temperatures you will experience.
    I thought catching natives was highly prohibited/ regulated. Never thought of going down that route.

I'm not familiar with the Victorian rules when it comes to collecting, but what I meant was that anything you can find there you should be able to keep without a heater. If you see something in a LFS that you know is in your creek and you're wondering whether you can keep it or not, it would just be a simple way to answer your own question.
    Rainbowfish, Cryptocoryne, Echinodorus

I'm getting close to 3 months and this is where I'm at:

Overall view, pool at the back is not mine, I'm waiting for the bamboo to grow.

I'm quite interested in feedback. Main concerns are:
    water a bit green (it's spring, there's not enough plants yet, may be ok

This is the waterfall where alguaes have appeared, they start green, then turn brown and then black:

long stringy alguae on the waterfall on the right... should I remove them by hand?

<click for high res>
    Last edited by GreyhoundOz; 15-08-16 at 04:20 PM.

Ok Looks like thanks to your advice I'm nearly there when it comes to water balance.

I just tested the water at 9pm:

as you can see:
    1) no Nitrate/nitrite
    2) GH is increasing from 0 initially to now 3.5 (essentially below 70ppm, very soft)
    3) KH is under control thanks to the crush shells (really appreciate the advice) at 8deg (174ppm) and that sounds about right
    4) PH is now a solid 6.8
    5) Chlorine is non-existent.

Do I need to worry about GH?
    Is it a question of adding salt/magnesium?

great work! How much crushed shells did you add?

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    great work! How much crushed shells did you add?
    about a quarter/third of the 25Kg bag I bought. That was 4 days ago.

Great. I think leave it for now... slowly does it. Given that your pond is outside and will get natural rainfall you don't want to be fighting the rain to make the water to be harder.

As for green water - its inevitable that your pond will go green early on with the amount of light its going to get. You might need 50x to 100x the plant biomass you have now before it stays clear... but that will happen as the plants multiply. You can get big UV units to clarify green water, or you can temporarily add shadecloth and/or lots of floating plants until the rest of the plants grow in more. If you add duckweed or azolla you're pretty much stuck with it. If you don't want those grab a few bunches of water sprite from the LFS and just throw it in without planting. It will grow as floating rosettes that you can remove later on more easily than you can eradicate duck weed.

Hi GreyhoundOz,
    Don't put anything in your Filtoclear. It's not designed for it and theres no room anyway.
    I've used one in my tank inside for years - they are great - no mess no fuss for your pond or your tank.

Quote Originally Posted by Utricky-b View Post
    Hi GreyhoundOz,
    Don't put anything in your Filtoclear. It's not designed for it and theres no room anyway.
    I've used one in my tank inside for years - they are great - no mess no fuss for your pond or your tank.
    thanks - glad I didn't try.
    I've been cleaning it with the handle-suction and backwash a few times so far and it seems to work great.
    question though, everytime I backwash and compress the sponge with the handle... do I lose my bacteria and need to put something in the water or does it all hang in there?

This week the rocks have all developed a fluffy algae which is hard to see, but the moment you scratch the rock it becomes obvious the brownish-greenish taint isn't their natural colour. It is mostly covered in tiny bubbles which (based on research) is either due to the algae breathing out O2, or a by-product of the water warming and releasing the trapped O2.

It's still too cold (12) for the fish to be active or for the plants to really grow.
    The only growth I noticed is the waterlily which has sprouted a new stalk (maybe 10cm) and has clearly woken up from its slumber.

All my plants are covered in brownish algae, so I've taken a few out of the pond (the ones still in pot) and given them a clean up with water. It was incredibly easy to remove, and the cleaned-up plants are all shiny green compared to the brownish tint they had before. I assume the algae would be making it hard for the plants to receive sunlight, so what can I do for those still covered in it?
    Last edited by GreyhoundOz; 22-08-16 at 08:47 AM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast