Thread: Fungal Problems on Emerse Growth.....A Nurserymans View.

Default Fungal Problems on Emerse Growth.....A Nurserymans View.

So many hobbyists are experimenting with emerse growth, it was only a matter of time before Fungi became a concern.
    There are two main groups of Fungi that will benefit from these new opportunities. They are basically....

1) Root/Damping-Off types like Pythium,Rhizocotania and Phytophthora. These will attack such plants as Hc in situations where the balance of air to moisture in the soil is not ideal.
    Fortunately,these can be easily and safely treated with Fongarid, used as directed.

2) Leaf tissue types such as Botrytis, Powdery Mildew etc. The important key to understanding these Fungi is to ask what conditions they need to germinate on your foliage.
    Most of them are very particular, considering they are in the air we breathe and the spores are usually present on the leaves...just waiting for the right moment to germinate. And
    the correct situation occurs when A) The leaf is moist and B) This is accompanied with a 10C drop in temperature.
    Immediately it is evident that correct culture can avoid this type of disease.Ensure the foliage is dry at nightfall when the temp is likely to drop.Providing a buoyant air movement with
    ventilation or fans etc.
    In nurseries, fungicides such as Zineb and Benlate can treat plants already affected and an old fashioned remedy safer for your fish can be made by mixing ordinary Lime with powdered Sulphur.

I hope these thoughts are useful....please let me know how you go if you try anything I have said.
    Last edited by anthonyrae; 02-08-16 at 09:10 AM.

Mmmm.... Botrytis...
    [sigpic][/sigpic]
    We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors,
    We borrow it from our Children.

Certainly the drop in temperature is something my crypts get in Melbourne. I see lots of powdery fungus on the dead leaves but not anything that attacks the living. A bit of good housekeeping goes a long way to managing it. ie removal of all dead material and senescing leaves.

How do you diagnose root fungus when its hidden in pots? Plant dies? I see that often enough but I figure there are many ways to kill a plant in addition to root fungus!

Because of my lazy emersed growth pots, I never have enough water to get fungus issues! Perhaps I have inadvertently avoided these by being lazy and almost allowing my plants to dry out.

I noticed a whole heap of root fungus in my WabiKusa which I just ignored. As time passed (and the container dried up a little) this problem went away without any harm to the AR mini which has grown rampant since.

Hi Grubs. You are right ....how to diagnose????
    Well just throw a few smears under your microscope and take it from there, of course. I would find that a little tedious considering my lack of knowledge, so I would try to make a decent guess
    based on the factors I can understand. So, it comes down to the symptoms really. Take a close look at the infected plants and you will see the stems at soil level, or just above, appear pinched.
    This weakened point closes off the movement of water forcing the new growth to wilt. And, since the fungus moves through the soil, you will see the Damping Off is spreading to nearby growth.
    A single treatment with Fongarid will selectively kill the bad fungi.

Hi Rebel. You are right.
    Your soil was full of beneficial Fungi, supporting transport of ferts and allowing rampant growth.
    Last edited by anthonyrae; 02-08-16 at 09:32 AM.