Thread: Fungicide for Emerse Plants

Default Fungicide for Emerse Plants

I've recently had an outbreak of a grey fungus on some of my emerse plants, and although it's not serious just yet (I think it's only targeting the parts of the plants that are already dead, thankfully) I'd like to know how I should combat this sort of issue. I've pruned and discarded the affected areas, but the fungus will obviously still be lingering so am looking for a way to eradicate it. After the mist goes in I assume the plants will be less prone to fungus, correct? Also, is there a particular fungicide I should use and will I have to dilute it as it is meant for terrestrial plants? Thanks in advance.
    Rainbowfish, Cryptocoryne, Echinodorus

You've done the right thing by removing the affected plant tissue. I don't think that there should be any need for a fungicide. If you are really concerned you can wash the plant with some dish washing detergent or hand soap. Just make sure to rice the plant well afterwards. However if you must use a fungicide, I would recommend a dip in a solution of Rovral.
    TRUE AQUATIC WHOLESALE AQUARIUM PLANTS
    https://trueaquatic.com.au/

Remove dead material.
    Raise the water level to submerge the soil surface and drown the effected area for 3-4 days.
    Lower water.
    Win.

Submerging for a few days will work if the logistics allow it.

any pics of the damage?

Quote Originally Posted by Grubs View Post
    Remove dead material.
    Raise the water level to submerge the soil surface and drown the effected area for 3-4 days.
    Lower water.
    Win.
    That's exactly what I'm doing already, although I wasn't sure of the time I would have had to keep it up for so thanks for the extra info, Grubs. Thanks for your input, too, Folke.

Oops, I didn't even see your post until now, Rebel! If I find any more I'll upload some photos.
    Last edited by Cryptocorynus; 08-09-16 at 11:12 AM.

Rebel, I just came across some more today (nothing serious - and again only on dead material). Here is a photo of what I've been talking about.

Last edited by Cryptocorynus; 11-09-16 at 01:00 PM.

I really don't know of any 'safe for fish' Fungicides except for the old fashioned (But effective), Lime/Sulphur mix. Trouble is that damage has already been done by the time you notice the fungus. And spraying as a preventative is ridiculous since the attack can be controlled by the ventilation approach I spoke about. I think I dropped link to the Blog of Charles Clapsaddles Goliad Fish Farms....anyone interested in this thread will gain heaps of down to earth knowledge from his blog.

Thanks Crypto for the photo. It really shows the extent of the damage. I've never seen that type of fungusin emersed plants. Perhaps my plants are automatically ventilated because of my carelessness....

I get all kinds of weird and wonderful moulds and fungi feeding on dead leaves, bare soil and dead insects. Moss seems to keep the pots much cleaner. Its important to distinguish between moulds and fungi that are opportunistically colonising dead plant matter (easy to clean with good hygiene) vs those that might attack and weaken a healthy plant. I'd only be contemplating a treatment option for the latter to save the plants. Its easy enough to removing dead/yellow leaves, but a little harder when you get a colony growing on the bare soil surface of a pot. These are the ones I drown. I raise the water level to cover the pots but the plants are still emergent. I intend to leave for 4-5 days...but in reality the water level might stay up for a week or two until I remember or get around to lowering it.

I'm pretty sure everything I've seen so far are the non-serious moulds/fungi that you're talking about, Grubs. AR, I have been checking out that blog... man, it is interesting! I'm loving that filtration method they have there. I was going to create another thread for asking this question, but it seems as though since we're on the topic at the moment that it's as good of a time as any - Grubs, which moss(es) are you using?

Just whatever moss fragments are on plants that were sent to me.. Nothing in particular. I don't know if any are traditionally aquatic. I just spread bits around from one pot to the next.

Sounds good. I just wasn't sure how most would take the temps in the greenhouse but I'll just trial and error and see what comes of it.