Thread: Growing Moss Emersed Inside

Default Growing Moss Emersed Inside

In addition to bagging my mosses on perlite as some of you have already seen, I have also tried keeping them growing emerse inside in an attempt to keep them at a more stable temperature with very good results. If you have some lit tanks (low light seems to work just fine) that won't mind having their inhabitants a little shaded (bare-bottomed tanks would be perfect) then this method is targeted at you. Differently to my moss bags, the liquid in with these mosses is straight fish tank water and not BioJuice. I've laid the bottom of the containers with folded paper towel to retain moisture and also give the mosses a rough surface to adhere to and put in enough fish tank water to have the paper completely soaked, plus a little extra (not enough, though, that the water raises above the level of the paper towel) and then laid the moss on top. The below photos are after about a month of growth. So far I have had to do no maintenance whatsoever and the mosses seem content to float around in the gentle current. Lights are on for about 6 hours per day and even the mosses that get the least amount of light at the edges of the tank (it's a 4ft tank with a 3ft light) seem to be thriving just as much as the rest.

The mosses floating on top of the water.

A photo from outside the tank and looking in.

Just one of the containers.

The inside of that container.

One of the larger containers (regular takeaway size).
    Last edited by Cryptocorynus; 25-06-16 at 06:30 AM.

I hope you continue to update this thread. I'd love to see the progress and how well you rate this method for growing moss over other ways.

Quote Originally Posted by Tetley View Post
    I hope you continue to update this thread. I'd love to see the progress and how well you rate this method for growing moss over other ways.
    I completely forgot about this thread, so thanks for reminding me! I'll try to upload some current photos some time this week.
    Rainbowfish, Cryptocoryne, Echinodorus

I just had a dive and got a few containers out to take some quick photos to update the thread. I'm quite happy with most of the growth, although the Fissidens splachnobryoides seems to be battling a big algae problem, so I think I'll be taking some advice from a member here and putting the container in the dark for a week or so. Most of the other mosses seem to be doing well, apart from the Willow Moss and Mini Willow Moss which seem to also have an algae issue (likely due to the water being too high in their containers).

Plagiochilaceae sp. "Cameroon Moss" (25/07/16)

Rose Moss (25/07/16)

Fissidens zippelianus AKA Zipper Moss (25/07/16)

Fissidens fontanus AKA US Fissiden (25/07/16)

Native Mt. Glorious Fissidens (25/07/16)

Fissidens nobilis (25/07/16)

These are some of the submerged mosses for comparison. I'm quite sure the damage to the mosses due to the string I've used to tie them to the wood has worked almost like using a blade on Java Fern to promote growth, as they seem to have much thicker growth than their emerse counterparts. You can't see it too well, but I began with a piece of Cameroon Moss on the wood almost the exact same size as the one that you can see is emerse, and there are more than double the amount of shoots on the submerged piece than the emerse piece.

"Cameroon Moss" and Red Moss (Caloglossa cf. beccarii)

Fissidens zippelianus

Fissidens zippelianus and Red Moss (Caloglossa cf. beccarii)
    Last edited by Cryptocorynus; 25-07-16 at 06:15 PM.

Very cool update~!

Best way to grow mosses is to use submersed, high light, CO2 and plenty of ferts. Keep temps around 22-23.

I like how's you've kept them separate with your strategy though. So hard to do when submersed.

I just noticed I haven't even answered your question so I apologise for that! I would rate it very highly if you are keen to keep mosses separate to keep positive IDs (something that would appeal to a few people here, I'm sure), but as far as growth rate goes, this method does seem to be second best to submerse with CO2 and high light. However, I do believe damage sustained to the mosses promotes growth (which ties in with the rumours you can blend mosses and "paint" them on to surfaces), so to properly come to a conclusion I will likely have to submerge an undamaged strand.

Thanks for the feedback.

I've just obtained some moss from Rebel to use in a 30l shrimp tank I'm setting up soon. I'm reluctant to experiment with the flame or peacock moss but there's a good amount of mini pellia which I'm going to split up and try the 'yoghurt' DSM. Can't hurt to try!

Thanks for the feedback.

I've just obtained some moss from Rebel to use in a 30l shrimp tank I'm setting up soon. I'm reluctant to experiment with the flame or peacock moss but there's a good amount of mini pellia which I'm going to split up and try the 'yoghurt' DSM. Can't hurt to try!
    mini pelia is very well emersed. Flame not sure as I have never tried.