Thread: Fish room advise please

Thumbs Up Fish room advise please

Hi every one;
    Like every one else i started with one tank and it has grown to three in the house and my wife keeps hinting that the tanks are taking over the house so my alternative is to build a fish room in the corner of the garden .
    The choices are ;
    1. to build wooden studs with weatherboard on one side and plasterboard / cement sheath and insulation in between .
    2. to buy / make metal shed and insulate the inside .
    3. to make a shed from insulated panels .
    4. to buy a second hand cool room and convert it to a fish room.
    I am living in Melbourne which can get cold and i can have a shed 3m x 3m without a permit . my concerns are running cost i.e electricity and condensation to start with, i want to make sure that i examine every obstacle before i start this project .
    Please let me know how you go about it . Also to let you know that the tanks are going to be discus tanks.
    Thanks for taking interest

Search for threads on other peoples setups and read widely.

My ideas are in my thread here: http://www.aquariumlife.com.au/showt...9-My-tank-room

I'm in Melbourne and my advice is insulate, insulate, insulate. I went the stud wall approach and probably spend as much money as a (2nd hand) coolroom. The aesthetic of a garden shed from outside is IMO better than a cool room. You could line a shed with 50-75 mm styrene from polyfoam, or line with coolroom panels. Make it air tight IMO. In summer when its 41C outside you want your fish to still be under 27C.

Mine is insulated well enough that my LED lights during the day increase the heat of the room. I currently have heaters in just a couple of tanks and they are on timers to heat between midnight and 7am (cheap off-peak power) and the room holds the heat for the day. This winter for the first time I'm running a small dehumidifier also between midnight and 7am (only 200W). The dehumidifier produces a small amount of heat that helps keep the room to temp and creates air circulation so the room is very pleasant. My tanks are covered. In Melbourne it hasn't been warm enough for my solar heating to kick on for at least a week and the room is still 22-23C. The only condensation is on the rainwater pipes coming in to the tap because the rainwater is so cold. I've only had the dehumidifier a couple of weeks but I think its brilliant. Got the idea from google searches that showed some people heat their room with a dehumidifier as the only source of heat.

I run sponge filters mostly so my electrical loads are 20W airpump 24/7. LED lights during the day on peak power (500W x 8h), and at night on offpeak (winter only), a few heaters (500W x 7h) and dehumidifier (200W x 7h).

Running costs roughly $1.80/day in winter, ~$1.20/day in summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Grubs View Post
    Search for threads on other peoples setups and read widely.

My ideas are in my thread here: http://www.aquariumlife.com.au/showt...9-My-tank-room

I'm in Melbourne and my advice is insulate, insulate, insulate. I went the stud wall approach and probably spend as much money as a (2nd hand) coolroom. The aesthetic of a garden shed from outside is IMO better than a cool room. You could line a shed with 50-75 mm styrene from polyfoam, or line with coolroom panels. Make it air tight IMO. In summer when its 41C outside you want your fish to still be under 27C.

Mine is insulated well enough that my LED lights during the day increase the heat of the room. I currently have heaters in just a couple of tanks and they are on timers to heat between midnight and 7am (cheap off-peak power) and the room holds the heat for the day. This winter for the first time I'm running a small dehumidifier also between midnight and 7am (only 200W). The dehumidifier produces a small amount of heat that helps keep the room to temp and creates air circulation so the room is very pleasant. My tanks are covered. In Melbourne it hasn't been warm enough for my solar heating to kick on for at least a week and the room is still 22-23C. The only condensation is on the rainwater pipes coming in to the tap because the rainwater is so cold. I've only had the dehumidifier a couple of weeks but I think its brilliant. Got the idea from google searches that showed some people heat their room with a dehumidifier as the only source of heat.

I run sponge filters mostly so my electrical loads are 20W airpump 24/7. LED lights during the day on peak power (500W x 8h), and at night on offpeak (winter only), a few heaters (500W x 7h) and dehumidifier (200W x 7h).

Running costs roughly $1.80/day in winter, ~$1.20/day in summer.
    Wow amazing insight Grubs. Great post!

Thanks Grubs and Rebel for your replies , Grubs i went to your thread with interest and i was very impressed with the practical detail in fact i have bookmark it so that i can refer back to it again and again , your project is what i like to do in my garden ,today i went to a few places checking the cost of new cool room $ 2800 was the cheapest i got so i think cool room or cool room insulated panels are out of question .
    Thanks for such an informative thread.

Bump - HAHA so??

Quote Originally Posted by SAYID View Post
    i went to a few places checking the cost of new cool room $ 2800 was the cheapest .
    Mate this is cheap depending on the size.

The savings for electricity etc in a fishroom means that your ROI would be only a few years.

You mentioned discus and if you breed em, ROI may be even less.

After that, sit and relax, in your well insulated man cave.

One more idea is to look into solar passive green house designs which have north facing glazing and rest airtight and insulated. You will need to cover the glazing at night though. Potentially free heating but may need to cover and use light during summer.