Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Clear DIY Co2 reactor *easy and fast*

Cool Clear DIY Co2 reactor *easy and fast*

Hello Guys,

a very clean good looking huge clear Co2 reactor, very easy/fast and cheap to make.

my current set up is an 4x2x2 heavy planted tank 450L, running with an 50mm glass diffuser woks fine but needs alot of gas...
    i had Dupla 400 and Dupla Reactor-S before and i like the clear reactors alot so i know whats going on inside =) to see if/how much there is a build up of gas and the mixing process etc.
    After looking around i finally found something i like.

1x Clear filter hosing 20x4,5inch with 3/4īBSP ports (20mm) (item number: 151615697201)
    1x 20mm pvc pipe
    2x pope BSP 20x19mm Male Director
    4x clamps
    1x fix a tap
    1x Dupla co2 T-piece (i already had in my spares)

was very easy and fast to set up only cost $67 total + 1x Dupla inline co2 T-piece (i already had in my spares) you can use something similar

Its hook up with an 2200L/h canister the flow is very good but cant judge if there is any loss in flow.. looks the same to me
    Depending on your tank you might need some gas build up in the reactor to reach your daytime acidic PH. Since I'm running PH control that will be taken care of. Setting is PH6.3 @ KH5.

​I decided for this in line Dupla co2 corner entry as the gas will be mixed in line and then smashed in to the reactor for further mixing.​ (also thought about an in line diffuser but would push the total price higher)
    also made the pipe fit from top to bottom just like a filter cartridge would be, so its kept in place as its a very nice fit (but clue on to the top lid is recommanded) and i only cut the pipe open like a mouth shape once, water should enter only from one side of the reactor. Reason for this is the micro bubbles that make it down on the wrong side get another free ride but not many make it down =).​

The pros are:
    - its not a fixed unit, can be cleaned or media can be added also can be used later on for marine maybe.
    - has a gas release on top
    - 3/4 ports good for bigger pumps too

Room for Improvement:
    -when running a bigger tubing (than my 16/22mm) you could drill the center exit hole bigger.
    - valves can be added to make removal easier

I started a usual co2 ON 1 hour before lights and 1 hour OFF before lights are off
    will monitor the PH and let you know how it goes

please let me know your feedback and suggestons , also more pros and cons

Testing flow and for leaks with gas build up in reactors
    here you can also see how big it is next to 1,5k bottle

@Morning lights off

later on that day lights few hours ON
    (ignore the lights off on display)
    hard to get a good pic of the gas bubbles
    Last edited by Murazaki; 18-06-16 at 12:18 PM.

Well well. This could be a game changer. I really like the transparent housing as you can see any gas that's not dissolving etc.

Looking forward to seeing how you go with this.

This style has been talked about for ages on the Planted Tank forum. Prices for the filter housing must have come down recently as they were over $100 when last I looked on eBay.

Quote Originally Posted by vladguan View Post
    This style has been talked about for ages on the Planted Tank forum. Prices for the filter housing must have come down recently as they were over $100 when last I looked on eBay.
    Agreed. > $100 would be too much for a plastic container but $50 is serviceable as there is hardly any DIY in this.

So it appears there is an ebay seller selling them fairly cheaply compared to others:
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Water-fil...sAAOSwBLlU~3kD

The only other Aussie based ebay seller sells them for a lot more but has larger ports and NPT thread instead of BSP thread:
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/20-x-4-5-...IAAOSwWKtUtGxV

Quote Originally Posted by vladguan View Post
    Its around for a while the filter housing idea but it was so simple and fast to make i had to share it =). Also i will update on it with ph-control (not just by drop checker).

on bay you will find white or blue ones for $30-40 shipped
    the clear one was the most expensive one but also included bracket and key.
    Last edited by Murazaki; 17-06-16 at 03:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    Well well. This could be a game changer. I really like the transparent housing as you can see any gas that's not dissolving etc.

Looking forward to seeing how you go with this.

not a new game changer but no need to spent alot of time to PVC your self one =)

the only thing i did change (didnt see anywhere else) was i made a top to bottom pipe with mouth hole as made more sense to me (IMO)

also thought about top bottom pipe with nice slots (like SS pipe) would be cool too
    Last edited by Murazaki; 17-06-16 at 03:55 PM.

i like this

but i need a 1" diam port!
    $140ish is way to much iirc i made my 150mm diam one for less than that including all the fittings!
    my 6 x 2 x 2.5

http://www.aquariumlife.com.au/showthread.php/57768-Disco-s-new-6-x-2-x-2-5

you could get the blue one 20inch with 1īNTP ports $71.96shipped /item NR.231888001307

Quote Originally Posted by disco frank View Post
    but i need a 1" diam port!
    No you dont. You need a 1" barb. Next time you are looking at barbs look at the 3/4BSP-25mm barb. Its essentially cylindrical. 3/4BSP is has an OD of ~26mm. So you can get the filter with 3/4 threaded ports and put 25mm barbs on for your 1" hose without constricting the flow appreciably. example: https://www.bunnings.com.au/pope-25m...elbow_p3126489
    Last edited by Grubs; 17-06-16 at 07:51 PM.

Small inline reactor on the cheap: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Clear-Inl...-/311195996613

Quote Originally Posted by Grubs View Post
    No you dont. You need a 1" barb. Next time you are looking at barbs look at the 3/4BSP-25mm barb. Its essentially cylindrical. 3/4BSP is has an OD of ~26mm. So you can get the filter with 3/4 threaded ports and put 25mm barbs on for your 1" hose without constricting the flow appreciably. example: https://www.bunnings.com.au/pope-25m...elbow_p3126489
    The ports are great but not the OUT inside center hole in the cap its smaller than the ports, thats why i posted the pics above.. its about 19mm if i remember right also a part of the hole is blocked. Looked all plastic to me so there shoudnt be anything in the way to drill it bigger? should be ok to drill a bigger hole like 25mm!? and glue in an 25mm pvc pipe..

Last edited by Murazaki; 17-06-16 at 10:16 PM.

i saw that one too and looks like a Dupla marine but way cheaper =)

Last edited by Murazaki; 17-06-16 at 08:26 PM.

lol here are those white brackets too: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/3pcs-Big-...-/131361182075

not when my filters flow over 3000lphr! they have 1" out and inlets!
    buy using a 1" barb and 150 diam pipe i have not seen a reduction in flow
    my 6 x 2 x 2.5

http://www.aquariumlife.com.au/showthread.php/57768-Disco-s-new-6-x-2-x-2-5

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast