Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Clear DIY Co2 reactor *easy and fast*

What i already noticed is that there is more and faster pearling.. all that under the same set up only reactor was added.

anyone here using Reactor with PH control? whats your BPS like?
    Last edited by Murazaki; 18-06-16 at 12:38 PM.

Hello Guys i need your help here =)

i was thinking to get ride of my airstone in the tank and hook up the airpump also to the reactor. will be less stuff in the tank and i guess better oxygen levels in the water?!
    so during the day CO2 in reactor and Airpump over night also in reactors..
    i would have to play around with the timing till i get this right... to get Co2 disolved before airpump comes on and air when co2 comes on..

Anything impotant im missing here please let me know Thanks =)
    Last edited by Murazaki; 23-06-16 at 08:52 PM.

It might be tricky for an airpump to pump against a check valve though. I've thought of this idea myself.

How long does your leftover CO2 take to dissolve completely after the CO2 shuts off?

Quote Originally Posted by Murazaki View Post
    Hello Guys i need your help here =)

i was thinking to get ride of my airstone in the tank and hook up the airpump also to the reactor. will be less stuff in the tank and i guess better oxygen levels in the water?!
    so during the day CO2 in reactor and Airpump over night also in reactors..
    i would have to play around with the timing till i get this right... to get Co2 disolved before airpump comes on and air when co2 comes on..

Anything impotant im missing here please let me know Thanks =)
    No need for air stones during the day or air pump at night. Have the filter outlet create gentle ripples across the surface of the water and is enough to oxygenate the water by having it an inch or two below the surface and blowing horizontally. Contrary to popular belief, it is not the air bubbles that oxygenate the water but the breaking of the surface tension as the bubbles leave the water. Rippling the surface also breaks the surface tension. Also, airstone will actually gas off the CO2.

I run 4BPS in my 165L tank and no fish are struggling to breathe, day or night. Another misconception is that plants produce oxygen during the day and CO2 at night. They in fact produce oxygen and CO2 all the time, there is just a net oxygen during the day and net CO2 at night.

Quote Originally Posted by vladguan View Post
    No need for air stones during the day or air pump at night. Have the filter outlet create gentle ripples across the surface of the water and is enough to oxygenate the water by having it an inch or two below the surface and blowing horizontally. Contrary to popular belief, it is not the air bubbles that oxygenate the water but the breaking of the surface tension as the bubbles leave the water. Rippling the surface also breaks the surface tension. Also, airstone will actually gas off the CO2.

I run 4BPS in my 165L tank and no fish are struggling to breathe, day or night. Another misconception is that plants produce oxygen during the day and CO2 at night. They in fact produce oxygen and CO2 all the time, there is just a net oxygen during the day and net CO2 at night.
    Agree with Vlad here.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    It might be tricky for an airpump to pump against a check valve though. I've thought of this idea myself.

How long does your leftover CO2 take to dissolve completely after the CO2 shuts off?
    The air pump i have does fine with check valve. i guess i will try it soon =)

On the Co2 im still doing fine adjustments on the needle valve to see PH behavior/gas build up..
    - if i set up the needle valve to about 8-10 bps maybe more not possible to count them. The Co2 builds up in the reactor in the morning slowly till 6.3 is reached after an hour or so (build up of CO2 is about 4cm) that co2 pocket seems to hold Ph good. whenever PH starts creeping up the Ph controller tops up the pocket and brings it back down.
    -i have tried to run abit less bps with no sucess if i run less than about 6bps the CO2 disolves very good/fast nearly no build up of gas in the reactor seems good but the PH is having a hard time staying low and at midday when plants go wild the PH usualy stays above 6.6 never reaches 6.3 again and the PH controller leaves the gas open all the time in order to get there..

for now what works for me is pedal to the metal bps and ph controller maintains an 4cm Co2 pocket in the reactor.
    Just like the dupla reactors i used before all needed build ups to get there..

switching off Co2 an hour before when i hit dawn phase seems to be ok.. the main pocket is gone and just a small amount of bubbles fly around..

PS
    I have calibrated the PH probe, have a drop checker and been checking the PH with test kit as well, just to make sure the adjustments are accurate.
    Last edited by Murazaki; 23-06-16 at 11:30 PM.

Thanks for your feedback =)
    i know many people dont use it but i want to run it anyway..
    Dont have any oxygen problem just always like to use an air pump at night. just dont want to see it in the tank or hear it anymore =)
    I do have 2 pumps on the surface but if you test your water with an Oxygen meter, once with and without airpump then you will see there is a higher oxygen level in the water (saw some studies ages ago somewhere.. correct me if im wrong)

Just thought would be a good way to get the airstone out of the tank and at the same time have better oxygen levels by pumping air in to the reactor.

That would make it a Dual Reactor =) what makes sense to me.
    Last edited by Murazaki; 23-06-16 at 11:53 PM.

Nice build.

Couple questions - why were 4 clamps needed? and where is the co2 entering? i didn't see mention of drilling and inserting a nipple.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantrasy View Post
    Nice build.

Couple questions - why were 4 clamps needed? and where is the co2 entering? i didn't see mention of drilling and inserting a nipple.
    i used a Dupla piece its in the pics, inline co2 entry thats why you need 4 clamps 2x for the Dupla and 2x for the reactor
    no drilling needed.
    My 4x2x2ft http://www.aquariumlife.com.au/showthread.php/65859-Murazaki

Update:

i tried hooking up the air pump as well but the canister is stroger making more pressure on the system , air pump have to be stronger than the canister...

Was that with a check valve?

Was that with a check valve?
    Vlad i tried with and without valve

I've been playing with my co2 injection quite a lot lately, and have settled on a system I am fairly happy with. Being a bit stingy I used the parts I already had lying around, as I didn't want to spend $200 on a 20 inch clear filter housing from the US (which would have been ideal as it had 1" inlet and outlets). It looks a bit confusing at first but the water is arriving from the 40mm pipe on the bottom right of the photo, then splits at the T. Some of the flow (roughly 6000L per hour total) goes through the reactor, and the rest goes through the larger diameter 40mm pipe direct to the tank. The reactor flow rejoins the pipe near the top and flows to the tank. The valve on the large line was necessary to force enough water through the reactor (the path of least resistance was straight through and there was insufficient flow through the reactor):

With this setup the second filter catches the undissolved bubbles from the first (I had this setup as a single filter previously but was getting a lot of undissolved bubbles out the end). The other big change here is that the dissolved co2 now goes straight into the tank rather than back to the sump. I am pumping a lot of co2 through this reactor and getting 100% dissolution! Its hard to see in the above picture but both the housing and inner cylinder are transparent. Since I have a large diameter internal sleeve, the flow is reversed (water and co2 enters the outlet and exits the inlet of both filters). The inner sleeve was originally designed to hold calcium absorbing crystals, which I removed:

The co2 injection point and bubble counter being located above the light switch bother me but it will do the job and you have a lot of control with the taps for optimal dissolution. +100 points for using what you have already!

Also good to see someone else has a sink that accumulates "stuff" like mine does.

Very nice work! How many bubbles per second? How's the plants responding?

This may be too late but the injection point could be closer to the T (bottom right) though.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast