Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Grassy Cliffs - 2ft 14g

Quote Originally Posted by doylecolmdoyle View Post
    This is true, but I try keep my aquascape setups on the budget side of things, hence using a $70 filter and $90 co2 reg, when i get a big tank one day ill splash out on higher quality equipment!
    That's the way.
    Some people offset the expense by selling plants and livestock, which is great but I've actually never earned a buck through my plants. I've always given them away. I did sell a lot of fish once upon a time...

Most of my 'new' equipment is 2nd hand. I say 'new' because the stuff i originally bought new is much older than my 2nd hand purchases lol.

People seem to forget that the enjoyment of the hobby is the process, as well as the end product. For some it's calculating ferts, pruning, scaping. Others it's the fish interactions and breeding. There are others who love the tech and gizmos. That's where this hobby can become a money pit. You dont need expensive stuff to enjoy it.
    For me ? I actually love just staring at it and doing as little work on it as possible.

5c
    [sigpic][/sigpic]
    We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors,
    We borrow it from our Children.

I added a up-aqua inline atomizer to this setup, the filter is tiny so Im not sure how well this will work, there is only about 10 - 15cm of tube after the atomizer / before the spray bar, I like the look of the tank without the diffuser right in the centre of the back glass so hopefully I can make this work, running co2 24/7 at about 1 bubble every 3 seconds (similar to my bookshelf tank) will monitor plant growth and co2 levels. Also ordered a eheim skim 350 as I find that really helps with flow and surface agitation on my bookshelf tank.

Took this photo today, the MC is starting to run down the hills nicely, it will probably grow over the sand at the back soon, perhaps will give it a trim next weekend.

2ft Aquascape by Colm Doyle, on Flickr

Pretty as a picture! A very elegant creation Some of the big rocks are starting to age - i like that look.

The glosso could do with a trim (appears not enough light for it)

Quote Originally Posted by Dantrasy View Post
    Pretty as a picture! A very elegant creation Some of the big rocks are starting to age - i like that look.

The glosso could do with a trim (appears not enough light for it)
    Thanks Dan haha yes not to much light down the front where the little bit of glosso is, I glued it to a small lava rock wasn't sure how it would grow... straight up is the answer! Looks a bit silly now its so tall.

I have located the lighting more towards the back / over the MC

Looking nice. If you want, you can remove frogbit to increase light?

I really like that glosso!

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    Looking nice. If you want, you can remove frogbit to increase light?

I really like that glosso!
    Thanks Rebel, I dont mind the frogbit, hesitant to remove it as I am yet to see any of the more annoying algae's (apart from a bit of GSA on rocks) I am sure the frogbit is helping, I let the frogbit go and it covered half the tank in about 2 weeks, just thinned it out yesterday, out of interest how heavily planted would you say this tank is? Medium or low?

I lowered the light about about 1 inch and put the surface skimmer in, changed the flow so there is basically no surface agitation apart from the skimmer which comes on every second hour for 60 mins, it does a great job of sucking in shrimp but they make there way out when the skimmer is off for 60 minutes.

2ft Aquarium by Colm Doyle, on Flickr

Removed the black background as I got a "mini flipper scraper" basically a glass cleaner with a razor attached and wanted to clean the back glass and couldnt be bothered putting the black card back, its a really good too for cleaning into tight spaces as its very slim. Perhaps my favourite purchase for my aquariums :P
    Last edited by doylecolmdoyle; 13-10-16 at 09:10 PM.

Been running 24/7 co2 for a few weeks now, things seem good, slight up-tick in growth as I also lowered the light a little, the hotter weather is just starting in Perth and my apartment really heats up, the tanks seem to sit at about 25 degrees already, not looking forward to the hotter months.

Here are some photos from today

_MG_5866 by Colm Doyle, on Flickr

_MG_5870 by Colm Doyle, on Flickr

_MG_5856 by Colm Doyle, on Flickr

_MG_5855 by Colm Doyle, on Flickr
    Last edited by doylecolmdoyle; 13-10-16 at 09:30 PM.

The MC is starting to take over everything, ive never trimmed it in this tank and I think I will let it do its own thing...

_MG_5972 by Colm Doyle, on Flickr
    Last edited by doylecolmdoyle; 02-12-16 at 11:02 PM.

To Looking very schmick!

Really like the shape of mc when it grows....

Would love to see a FTS.

Keep on top of the trimming. I thought I would let my Fissendens do its own thing and it got out of control. Hard to wind the clock back once it takes over.

Tim.

Quote Originally Posted by mundi View Post
    Keep on top of the trimming. I thought I would let my Fissendens do its own thing and it got out of control. Hard to wind the clock back once it takes over.

Tim.
    Cheers, yes I should give it all good trim soon, before I leave it pretty much un-attended for a month. When you dont trim the Fiss does it just get a bit leggy / scraggly and less compact?

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    To Looking very schmick!

Really like the shape of mc when it grows....

Would love to see a FTS.
    Hey Rebel here is a FTS, need to get rid of the frogbit i think, its actaully not growing very well in here, has really short roots and is small (did the same in my bookshelf tank) but is nice and green and big in my low tech, everything else seems ok, perhaps I am short on some kind of fert...

_MG_5996 by Colm Doyle, on Flickr
    Last edited by doylecolmdoyle; 15-11-16 at 03:13 PM.

Thanks for FTS. I was trawling through the AGA 2016 results and came across this one which is similar to your tank!
    http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.org/2016/Big/5240.jpg

Last edited by Rebel; 15-11-16 at 08:01 PM.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast