Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Grassy Cliffs - 2ft 14g

Took out the floaters and diffuser to take another photo... I think I like it more with the floaters, they help fill in space above from a "design" point of view....

Looks great dcd. Very healthy plants, nice and clean.

Your rate of surface movement looks very similar to mine. I don't seem to have trouble keeping CO2 levels up so long as I increase the CO2 injection rate to account for this.

KH/CO2/pH table can be a little inaccurate if you have acids present affecting pH, say from aquasoil. I think pH drop method is a tad more reliable in this case.

Quote Originally Posted by clickme View Post
    can i ask the wise ones. I understand why you need to go from a ph of 7.5 to 6.8

but thats like a big swing right. a swing like that, up and the back down, twice a day, surely our fishy friends would object? I always thought ph swings were not a good thing??

please help set me straight.
    In nature you see big pH swings like this. Overnight CO2 levels rise and in the morning when plant photosynthesis peaks, pH can rise sharply. Most of our critters are adapted to this.
    Last edited by GR1KTR; 26-08-16 at 08:02 AM.

Spotted a a leaf of MC with a big o2 pearl, tried to snap a close up... was tricky to focus

That looks great, what would be a winning shot is if the reflection on the O2 bubble was in focus and showed your whole tank
    60 X 40 X 40 fire (jungle 3 sided scape)
    http://www.aquariumlife.com.au/showt...-old-2ft-tank)

Yeah that would be cool, best i could get, need a macro lens I think!

I have some very very slight green dust like algae on some rocks so ive started to dose Potassium Phosphate in for form of Seachem - Flourish Phosphorus (left over from a older setup)... kind of looking forward to going with dry ferts when all this stuff runs out, I am never to sure exactly what I am putting in with the premixed suff and most info on the forums seems to reference dry fert quantities... I have just started dosing 1.5ml of Flourish Phosphorus which seems to be the beginner dosage for this size tank...

Last edited by doylecolmdoyle; 06-09-16 at 10:46 PM.

Entered this tank in the the recent Liverpool Creek Aquascaping comp, was happy to get both my tanks "judged / commented on" didnt quiet win but was only a few points behind the winning tank.
    Last edited by doylecolmdoyle; 25-09-16 at 05:58 PM.

Starting to get GSA / GDA on some rocks and glass, have not been dosing Phosphate to the level of low EI so I think I should up the daily dose to about 3ml of Seachem Phosphorus.

Also my needle valve on my Co2 Reg doesn't seem to control the bubble rate with any accuracy, like i set it to about 2bps and let it run, turn solenoid off, let it sit, turn back on and the bubble count has doubled. Also some times when i turn the needle valve control the bubble rate doesn't change at all, if i push on the valve the rate increase and then it seems like I can adjust it again.... tempted to contact the shop I purchased from, was a cheap reg but I need a consistent bubble rate. Perhaps I might shift to 24/7 co2 at a very slow rate, seems to be working well in my other tank.

Quote Originally Posted by doylecolmdoyle View Post
    Also my needle valve on my Co2 Reg doesn't seem to control the bubble rate with any accuracy, like i set it to about 2bps and let it run, turn solenoid off, let it sit, turn back on and the bubble count has doubled. Also some times when i turn the needle valve control the bubble rate doesn't change at all, if i push on the valve the rate increase and then it seems like I can adjust it again.... tempted to contact the shop I purchased from, was a cheap reg but I need a consistent bubble rate. Perhaps I might shift to 24/7 co2 at a very slow rate, seems to be working well in my other tank.
    Get a needle valve from CO2art. Also make sure your tank is not running empty.

Yeah mite look at replacing the needle valve, Co2 is a full bottle as i just replaced it. I have emailed the local supplier, will see what they say...

I was trying to adjust the bubble rate and when i turn the needle valve nothing was changing so I thought I will open it right up and see if the rate increase and the adjusting nut fell off and co2 rushed out, I was able to jam the nut back in but Im not sure if I have done any damage, I didnt think the nut would come off, I have read people opening up the needle valve 100% to clean them out etc...

Yeah mite look at replacing the needle valve, Co2 is a full bottle as i just replaced it. I have emailed the local supplier, will see what they say...

I was trying to adjust the bubble rate and when i turn the needle valve nothing was changing so I thought I will open it right up and see if the rate increase and the adjusting nut fell off and co2 rushed out, I was able to jam the nut back in but Im not sure if I have done any damage, I didnt think the nut would come off, I have read people opening up the needle valve 100% to clean them out etc...
    warranty job I reckon.

The MC is starting to fall down the rocks a little, The MC in this this tank is growing at about half the rate of my bookshelf thank

Grassy Cliffs - 2ft Aquascape by Colm Doyle, on Flickr
    Last edited by doylecolmdoyle; 16-09-16 at 01:42 PM.

Spotted a a leaf of MC with a big o2 pearl, tried to snap a close up... was tricky to focus

Anyone else notice how many of us have chosen possibly two of the most expensive interests to pursue? What were we thinking?? I need to invest in a macro lens too, it kills me not being able to get shots of my fish.
    Rach

Moving from low tech to high tech and fighting the Finance Minister all the way - 3ft planted community tank

Quote Originally Posted by oste View Post
    Anyone else notice how many of us have chosen possibly two of the most expensive interests to pursue? What were we thinking?? I need to invest in a macro lens too, it kills me not being able to get shots of my fish.
    This is true, but I try keep my aquascape setups on the budget side of things, hence using a $70 filter and $90 co2 reg, when i get a big tank one day ill splash out on higher quality equipment!

This is true, but I try keep my aquascape setups on the budget side of things, hence using a $70 filter and $90 co2 reg, when i get a big tank one day ill splash out on higher quality equipment!
    :P I try to only judge by end result/aesthetic.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast