Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: DIY power LED for nano

Quote Originally Posted by Hdjwilliams View Post
    With a little electronics know how the Typhon controllers aren't too bad and there is a heap of info on the forums on how to wire them up - if you are after a project its not too difficult / expensive if you purchase it all off ebay.

That TC420 probably outputs a constant voltage 12v PWM signal which then relies on the LED strip light to do its own current limiting. The LDD drivers require a 0-5v signal (with most of the dimming in the 0-3v range i.e. its non-linear), you may be able to do some crude voltage division using a resistor string but would need to have a look at the output of the TC420 to be sure.

I did a super quick google and it looks like a bit of a hack is required to get to the control side of the power mosfets in the TC420:

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/20...d-drivers.html

I would hazard a guess you have smoked your current drivers by running 12v into the dimming pin, but cant be sure. Can you manually set the dimming pin of your current drivers to 0 and 5V to see if they are still working. Fault finding is just a case of isolating blocks and testing.

Thanks my man for all this information.

I left the dimming pins (PWM) alone and just supplied the raw 12V to the +/- terminals and connected the LED strip to the output +/-. I still have the drivers so should post a pic.

I have since sold my TC420 but 'may' acquire another one in the future if I feel like it. There is a new version with wifi control which is interesting.
    Last edited by Rebel; 19-02-18 at 02:25 PM.

I finally got this light to function.

I made the white lights to be 4 per channel (3W x4 ) with twochannels. (just shorted one of the slots (Thanks Vlad!) in the PCB as they are 5 each) One PCB has one red and two blue LEDs in series but they don't light up too bright - Seemingly the others are drawing most of the current. Curiously, the white lights in series to the coloured ones are very bright as are the others.

I wired the 12 DC power supply directly but in parallel to the three LED strips and plugged it in. I conformal coated the exposed electronics (Thanks Disco frank!) to prevent any water damage.

It's quite bright and most importantly causes really nice shimmer. I just used a simple inline dimmer to dim.

I am not using any drivers as such but will continue to test to see whether there are any bad effects etc.

Ironically I already have a nice DIY led for my nano tank which is only used as a quarantine for my yellow shrimp. I may post pictures towards the end of the week.
    Last edited by Rebel; 19-02-18 at 02:34 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123