Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DIY power LED for nano

Default DIY power LED for nano

I've been planning this for a long time. I was tempted to have three channels but settled for 2. So far preliminary testing is fine but the heat maybe an issue. Here is a teaser.

Last edited by Rebel; 06-06-16 at 08:31 PM.

Single wire connection to keep it nice and neat.

Drivers: Similar to these - I thought 350ma is enough without fans.
    http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/sis.html?...72.m2749.l2658

Nicely done. Are they Cree LEDs and did you solder them on or did they come like that? Fred runs the 3W LEDs at approx half power or to not need fans and he uses a smaller heat sink in comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by vladguan View Post
    Nicely done. Are they Cree LEDs and did you solder them on or did they come like that? Fred runs the 3W LEDs at approx half power or to not need fans and he uses a smaller heat sink in comparison.

Hi Vlad, I bought the LED beds separately and soldered them (you can tell by the shonky work). These boards make it very easy as you don't need to wire them individually.

D

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    Hi Vlad, I bought the LED beds separately and soldered them (you can tell by the shonky work). These boards make it very easy as you don't need to wire them individually.

D
    Cool. Similar if not the same as what MML uses.

Cool. Similar if not the same as what MML uses.
    I am not sure Vlad. I think Fred uses smaller drivers (custom made perhaps?). I couldn't find anything smaller and besides I didn't know how to search properly either. Perhaps the version 2 may include smaller drivers.

I am planning on a 2 foot tank but it may end up being a 3 footer in the future. I would enjoy (if possible) doing a DIY light for that tank if possible. If not, I will revert to buying a commercial fixture but it will be fun either ways.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    I am not sure Vlad. I think Fred uses smaller drivers (custom made perhaps?). I couldn't find anything smaller and besides I didn't know how to search properly either. Perhaps the version 2 may include smaller drivers.

I am planning on a 2 foot tank but it may end up being a 3 footer in the future. I would enjoy (if possible) doing a DIY light for that tank if possible. If not, I will revert to buying a commercial fixture but it will be fun either ways.
    I was referring to the PCBs. The MML ones are also 6 per 30cm.

I did a search for mini led driver and came up with the following:
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Super-Min...YAAOSwBahVLSnG

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Mini-2-x-...QAAOSwGotWq3Ob

I was referring to the PCBs. The MML ones are also 6 per 30cm.

I did a search for mini led driver and came up with the following:
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Super-Min...YAAOSwBahVLSnG

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Mini-2-x-...QAAOSwGotWq3Ob

Those are indeed fine but in theory, you'd want one rated for 4W at least as the 6 LEDs it will control will put out about 3W of power.

One on each end and scratch off the soldered lines in the middle.

Great project Rebel!

Is this run at 12v?

I also ordered some LED's a while ago to play with, seems like great fun.

Great work!

the only thing i can offer is when i did mine, i found after a few months rust on the solder! as the water evaporates off the tank, it hits the solder!

if you can insulate with either hot glue, or even liquid electrical tape all the exposed joints

on a 2nd look, you could get a nice thin piece of perspex/acrylic sheet to glue onto your fixture
    my 6 x 2 x 2.5

http://www.aquariumlife.com.au/showthread.php/57768-Disco-s-new-6-x-2-x-2-5

Stop teasing and show us the light in action already!

Based on the different diode colours I'm guessing you're using red and blue LED's too?

One on each end and scratch off the soldered lines in the middle.
    duly noted.

Quote Originally Posted by sweefu View Post
    Great project Rebel!

Is this run at 12v?

I also ordered some LED's a while ago to play with, seems like great fun.
    Yes it's 12V DC so safe(ish).

My soldering skills have improved a little. Still learning the multimeter.

Quote Originally Posted by disco frank View Post
    Great work!

the only thing i can offer is when i did mine, i found after a few months rust on the solder! as the water evaporates off the tank, it hits the solder!

if you can insulate with either hot glue, or even liquid electrical tape all the exposed joints

on a 2nd look, you could get a nice thin piece of perspex/acrylic sheet to glue onto your fixture
    You are very observant indeed. I have already done a trial with a acrylic cover. But Once you glue it, it's difficult to do maintenance on the thing. Maybe I should done a slide in design so that you can just slide it out.

Thanks for tip about the solders. I will definitely try and water proof them. I was thinking silicon but hotglue may be easier. I find that unused silicon dries in the cupboard no matter what I do. Might have to visit Bunnings for a hot glue gun.

Quote Originally Posted by eciuj View Post
    Stop teasing and show us the light in action already!

Based on the different diode colours I'm guessing you're using red and blue LED's too?
    Lol. This is all I have at the moment. I ran out of wire and also need a project box to hold my drivers. I was thinking of making it really neat with plug in type of design so that I can swap drivers in the future if required.

Nothing slips past you mate. Yes I am using two 455 and one 650 in the middle channel. One of the side channels have two 10k LEDs. I prefer a slightly bluer look. If I find that there is not enough red, I will just put in one in the middle channel.

I think I will have to run these at 50% or so.

I haven't discounted fans; just for the fun of it.

I also ordered some mini lenses...

Big questions now rebel are how much is this going to cost you compared to a commercial light of the same rating and how effective will it be for growing plants assuming you are going to grow plants with it of course... I may end up copying this to save some cash for my 3ft'r I'm looking at doing.

Quote Originally Posted by mattfinn View Post
    Big questions now rebel are how much is this going to cost you compared to a commercial light of the same rating and how effective will it be for growing plants assuming you are going to grow plants with it of course... I may end up copying this to save some cash for my 3ft'r I'm looking at doing.

Happy to do a costing once I am done. There were many costly mistakes along the way however.

This was never done for cost savings. This is just for fun DIY.

This will grow plants fine but questions mainly are about longevity/heat dissipation.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast