Thread: Flinders Island freshwater fish: short video

Default Flinders Island freshwater fish: short video

A short video showing some of the native freshwater fish found on Finders Island in Bass Strait, Tasmania. Only 4 species are shown in the video; I did also see some climbing galaxias (shown in another video): in total there are 9 different species of freshwater native fish on Flinders.

Superb saratoga

How far did you hike along the river before you found these guys?

They were very difficult to observe during the day, but easy to find at night with a torch. This was filmed by leaving my camera in likely looking spots for an hour or so at a time, and then downloading at home to see what I had. Most was filmed along about 200m of the creek in a well vegetated area. Fortunately where we were staying was only 5 minutes walk to the creek at the base of the Strzeleki Ranges, so this is a compilation over many days recording. Sometimes you get absolutely nothing, other times you are rewarded with great footage. These fish were particularly skittish so it was pointless getting in the water or hanging around the banks to try and film them, unlike further upstream with the Climbing Galaxias (another thread) that were quite bold and I got all the footage I needed in just an hour.