Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Low Tech Beta Nano

Default Low Tech Beta Nano

Hi All,

3rd tank now, nothing major just a small low tech nano for a beta and some shrimp.

My first two tanks are high tech so i want to try something a little different.

Tank: 20cm Cube
    lighting: 18w Nemolight
    Filter: Aqua One HOB 180L/hr
    Hardscape: Malaysian Driftwood and sieryu stone
    Substrate: ADA Amazonia powder and some La Plata sand

Plants: I haven't got a solid plan just yet, pretty much the standard i guess?:
    Variety of mosses: Pellia, Weeping, Christmas
    Java ferns, crypt wendtii, anubias nana, hair grass

Any suggestions?

Photos:

I have a bit of a betta addiction right now so I'm excited to see where you take this

I'd probably stay away from java fern unless it's needle leaf and right up the back. Same goes for crypt wendtii I guess. Probably a little big for a 20L tank—depends what you're going for though!

I'm currently setting up one of those Aqua One betta trio tanks. My scaping isn't amazing (so hard in such a tiny space!) but up the back I've got a combo of hairgrass and lilaeopsis (micro sword). I'm not convinced the lilaeopsis will do all that well but after 3 weeks it still looks healthy.
    Luke

Multiply tank syndrome strikes 

Maybe look at low light plants like Anubias nana and nana petite with smaller forms of crypts like lutea or nevelli. Parva as a foreground. Mosses sometimes look crappy under low light.

Let me know if I can help out with plants.

Tim.

Looking good..for low tech, that light will be too much.make sure you dim well.

Google Nano Betta Scape or Nano Aquascape and find something you like and try replicate it.

This is what I'm thinking, thoughts? Tried to maintain negative space while using up as much of the tank as i could. Apologies for the crappy shot!

**also there is some amazonia below the la plata directly infront of the drift wood, i thought this would allow me to plant hair grass or something while keeping that beach sandy look.

So I've been on site for the past week but thought i'd share an update from last week - i've been mulling it over and am pretty happy with it - will tweek a bit. I took out the massive chunk of wood, and added some lava rock.

Plants list i'm considering:
    Annubias
    Annubias nana petite
    Needle leaf java fern
    Bolbitis heudelotii
    Crypt Parva
    Mosses: Mini pellia, weeping moss

Thoughts?

I'd lose the bolbitis, will be out of scale. Also only add petite! Moss is fine but becomes bulky in a nano tank, I'd just go with the mini pellia or maybe a bit of flame moss. Even one of the dwarf java fern varities
    60 X 40 X 40 fire (jungle 3 sided scape)
    http://www.aquariumlife.com.au/showt...-old-2ft-tank)

Quote Originally Posted by Fishandme3 View Post
    I'd lose the bolbitis, will be out of scale. Also only add petite! Moss is fine but becomes bulky in a nano tank, I'd just go with the mini pellia or maybe a bit of flame moss. Even one of the dwarf java fern varities
    Thanks man... Yeh my plan is to make it really bushy in the back right and have the weeping moss dangling down the pice the extends to the top of the tank.

I'm going to try some tissue culture petite, saw some at Vebas so excited!

Update your tank!! keen to see how it looks

If you want to use ferns, i think micro ferns are the right size for you!

@Leukah, the betta tanks look really cool! The website says there's a heater included but i cannot see it in the photos. Are there a hidden compartment for them or something?
    Chatony

Quote Originally Posted by chatony111 View Post
    If you want to use ferns, i think micro ferns are the right size for you!

@Leukah, the betta tanks look really cool! The website says there's a heater included but i cannot see it in the photos. Are there a hidden compartment for them or something?
    Yep, hidden in the back. The entire back of the tank is filter compartments and space for the pump & heater. Basically a sump! Not my photo, but you can see how it works here.
    Luke

Update time: Tank is planted (photo from last week)

Plants:
    Annubias
    Annubias nana
    Windelov
    Trident
    Hygro pinnatifida
    Crypt Wendtii
    Crypt parva
    Weeping moss
    Flame moss
    Mini pellia

Everything seems to be going good. I've gotten some melt on the annubias, and the wendtii has melted hard - it'll bounce back though.

I like your progress very much. That mini pelia looks very healthy. Must be from Dantrasy/Mike.

Over time you may want to consider swapping the larger Anubis to smaller varieties or at least have the smaller ones at the back of the tank.

Well done!

Haha, yeah love that lush mini pellia and trident in the back left
    60 X 40 X 40 fire (jungle 3 sided scape)
    http://www.aquariumlife.com.au/showt...-old-2ft-tank)

Update: The crypt wendtii melted completely and has now thrown out a bunch of new leaves - pretty cool to watch! I've added a bunch more hygro - didn't think it would thrive without CO2 and essentially low light, but it's growing new leaves so pretty happy with that. I've introduced shrimp now and maybe in a week or two will go grab a cool fish for the tank.

Also mounted the light on the wall

There is a lot of debris in the tank as the clean up crew was only just introduced, but they'll make short work of it and the Pellia will come back as a healthy bright green with a bit more iron/Mg.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast