Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crypt tonkinensis

Default Crypt tonkinensis

I received some very badly melted C. tonkinensis from LCA a while ago (which has been replaced since) and I planted the corms but I have only had one plant sprout which does not look at all like C. tonkinensis - in its submerse state, anyway. Thoughts?

Last edited by Cryptocorynus; 25-06-16 at 04:17 PM.

You might need a flower though?

What's on the left? H tennellus?

I probably will need a flower to tell. I just got a bit confused as it's foliage here is so different to it's wispy submerse foliage.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    What's on the left? H tennellus?
    On the left is Cryptocoryne parva.

PM Grubs also. He has a big collection. Do you keep those crypts outside in the winter weather??

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    PM Grubs also. He has a big collection. Do you keep those crypts outside in the winter weather??
    I was thinking about PMing Grubs, but haven't heard back from him in regards to a previous message, so decided against it. I most likely will in the next few days.

As for the crypts, I have them in a large hothouse, so they're fine over winter.

Tonkinensis from LCA is C. crispatula var. kubotae (new name) and in my tanks emersed looks the same as the submersed which is like a very thin grass and the growing point is lower than the soil surface (so you dont see any "trunk" at the base of the leaves). The plant circled in the OP seems too broad but is perhaps a bit small to ID at this point. Interesting shape however - I had a small C. usteriana that looked a bit like that - or could be a balansae thats too small yet to have speed bumps.

That said - crypts do some weird stuff when small. Best bet is to grow it out (as I'm sure you plan to) and see what happens.
    Last edited by Grubs; 25-05-16 at 07:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Grubs View Post
    Tonkinensis from LCA is C. crispatula var. kubotae (new name) and in my tanks emersed looks the same as the submersed which is like a very thin grass and the growing point is lower than the soil surface (so you dont see any "trunk" at the base of the leaves). The plant circled in the OP seems too broad but is perhaps a bit small to ID at this point. Interesting shape however - I had a small C. usteriana that looked a bit like that - or could be a balansae thats too small yet to have speed bumps.

That said - crypts do some weird stuff when small. Best bet is to grow it out (as I'm sure you plan to) and see what happens.
    Thanks a lot, Grubs. I guess I'll have to wait and see!

Any pics of the hot house? Do you mean a green house? Are you heating it in winter?

Hi Rebel, it is a hothouse/greenhouse, yes, (just so long as the doors are kept closed!). Here are some photos I just took.

From the outside. The shade-cloth over the top is to reduce wearing of the plastic underneath. It also came in very handy when there was a hail storm a few weeks after we finished putting the plastic and shade-cloth onto the skeleton.

Just a few of the IBCs. Plumbing hasn't been completed yet. Grow out containers (made from halved drums) will probably go on top of the IBCs towards the back linked in with an ebb and flow system. These will most likely be used for swords or crypts but herbs like coriander are also a possibility. The sump (which will be made from an IBC) which connects everything will likely be outside and wrapped in insulation to save space. The IBCs currently have some species of Rainbowfish in them which won't be able to survive outside, but the plan is to put in some low-maintenance plants such as Aponogetons, lotus, etc. in the future.

The other side of the hothouse. The red tubs down the middle are only temporarily being used to quarantine plants, for fish fry and a few selective breeding colonies of endler there isn't room inside for. The black bins on the right are being used for more fish fry, as well as a few PNG Blue-eye colonies. There will be a set-up over there on top of the bins for plants such as anubias, ferns, buce, etc. to grow under a sprinkler system.

Some Echinodorus growing emerse in their temporary pots.

Where two IBCs for plants (with injected CO2) will eventually go. Just need to clean them out and level the ground and then they can be put in.

A view of everything. A seventh IBC is going to put on the left hand side towards the camera as the sump is now most likely going to be put outside.

I do also have a shadehouse. The spa is currently only holding submerse plants (and cherry shrimp, which funnily enough are thriving even in the cold) and the bins on the left have a few Australian Blue-eyes and a few localities of Rhads.
    Last edited by Cryptocorynus; 25-06-16 at 04:26 PM.

Incredible setup!! I'm amazed.

How far north do you live?

Thanks for that, sweefu. It's not nearly finished yet, though. I live in the Northern Rivers.
    Last edited by Cryptocorynus; 25-06-16 at 07:14 PM.

Wow, great setup
    I have to grovel for a larger tank let alone doing something like this
    Cheers
    Adam

I've seen pics of this in Tom Barr's tank where its an orangish colour. What does it look like in medium light and no co2?

Man, this thread brings back some memories! As for your question, though, it would be better to ask someone else (probably Grubs) as I am yet to successfully grow it submersed for any length of time. This is a more recent photo of the same plant in this post, actually!: http://www.aquariumlife.com.au/showt...486#post573486
    Last edited by Cryptocorynus; 03-01-17 at 06:49 PM.
    Rainbowfish, Cryptocoryne, Echinodorus

Same for me - the plants I have grow well emersed but dwindle and die when submersed for a prolonged period. These plants were recently re-imported (last 5 years) and may be a different variety to those seen growing submersed overseas.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast