Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ADA 361 Nano Iwagumi

Default ADA 361 Nano Iwagumi

Hi All,

I had some free time so i thought I'd share the nano I've put together over the past 2 months or so.

Tank: Not sure? A few months ago AGP had an aquascaping competition and let you keep the tank and what you created!
    Filtration: Running an Eheim 2215 (a little over kill but i had it lying around).
    Lighting: ADA Aquasky 361.
    CO2: DoAqua ceramic diffuser... using the same CO2 tank that is used for the 4ft - running a CO2 splitter with separate bubble counters. This can be tricky at times, different back pressures on the tanks due to different heights, distances away from tank etc.

Plants: - huge thanks to Tim and Mike for these - Perth people are most generous!
    HC, minipellia, flame moss, fissidens.

This took longer than the last DSM I tried. Same method though, glad wrap and misted once every few days. Almost no algae during the entire process which was good.

Once the lilly pipes arrived, i flooded the tank.

Couple of weeks ago i added the flame moss, pellia and fissidens, everything is growing pretty well at the moment. No alage issues throughout the life so far... only shrimp so far, will be adding fish shortly

Looks great. That rock is epic.

yeah, the rock looks like a single piece front on. You arranged them really well.

looking good!

I'm glad you've got it up and running now... Awesome... No you just need some CPDs for it
    60 X 40 X 40 fire (jungle 3 sided scape)
    http://www.aquariumlife.com.au/showt...-old-2ft-tank)

Looks stunning, like a mountain with a melting snow cap! Very crisp, one of the cleanest scape i have seen
    i would go in-line CO2, the diffuser is a bit big for the scape

Very neat scape. I wonder whether you could fill that crack between the stones and have HC cascading down it etc.

Thanks all for the positive feedback! really appreciate it, i'm really happy with how this one has turned out.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    Very neat scape. I wonder whether you could fill that crack between the stones and have HC cascading down it etc.
    That's actually a really good idea! i like it, i'll see if i can set something like that up.

There was this really cool little thing i saw the other day - a hygrophila pinnatifida stem tied to a rock with mini pellia; looked awesome... i was going to throw one together and add them into the tank to break up the HC a bit more.

Nice one has grown in really well and no algae! Tell me your tricks wizard

very nice scape nice work! Any tricks to your DSM method, I just started a DSM with MC, how long did you leave your light on per day and when misting it was just tap water?

Any update?

Bad news unfortunately - I left the tank in the hands of my sister while i was away for a couple of weeks of holiday then travel for work. I found out the dosing while i was gone was a bit too hefty and the CO2 bottle had ran out. When i came back the tank was practically covered in GDA... My pellia had all turned brown, and only looks green from the photo below due to the algae. The HC isn't as lush either - most leaves are extremely small kind of ratty.

After scrubbing everything down, doing nearly 100% water changes to try get rid of the GDA colony GDA just came back in the photo below. I also replaced the pellia and it instantly turned brown. So i've decided, since i have no livestock, to go back to DSM. Some HC will melt, the strong will stay and the algae issues will sort themselves out. Only con is that i lose the beneficial bacteria i had started but i can keep it going on my main tank i suppose.

Is there any major issues to going back to DSM?

Don't fear my man. I wouldn't go back to DSM and I don't think anyone has done this before (radical DUDE!! )

Can you reduce light slightly? Just use one of them photographers neutral density filters. Those ADA lights are too much for little tanks.

Just pump the CO2, ferts and water changes; and give it time.

I decided to give it one last shot! over the weekend i scrubbed the rocks down as best i could, trimmed the HC to promote new healthy growth - the stems were looking ratty, and covered in GDA. I had to remove the pellia - it had turned brown and mushy.

Doing to be doing 100% water changes for the next week (thankfully it's only a 15L tank and i use the water for the garden )

Reduced the light intensity - just some frosted sticky tape over 70% of the LED's. Reduced the light period to 6 hours.

PPS-Pro dosing, but lighter on the No3- and heavier on the phospates. Dosing extra magnesium and iron and some Excel to inhibit the algae growth for now.

Update time:

Really happy with this tank now. After some massive GDA battles, i ripped out the HC and went back to a dry start with MC, tanks been flooded for a few months but I've just added a few embers. Surprisingly the MC doesn't thrown off the scale too much.

Current plant list:
    Monte Carlo
    Rotala SP Green
    Flame Moss
    Some buce species??
    Crypt Parva

I've tried time and time again to grow mini pellia in this tank, but it always turns brown and mushy. I think maybe the light is cooking it!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast