Thread: Riparian plants a l Papyrus

Default Riparian plants a l Papyrus

Hey guys, I was hypothesizing about starting a shallow 80x50x35cm (length x depth x height) tank with emersed growth (lit by two 1-2ft high suspended Fred's makemykessil lights). I know a fair few plants can be grown "on top" of the tank, where the crown of the plant is at water level - plants such as Purple Waffle, Peace Lillies and Parlour Palms. I was wondering if you guys had a short list of plants that can be wedged directly into the substrate and still manage to grow out of the tank, much like a Papyrus? I've heard that for example, planting a Peace Lilly at water level is fine however if new growth is submerged the plant will die off?

Picture attached for reference - a tank similar to the goals I had in mind

Just thought I'd revive this thread and tell you that I have absolutely no idea of any plants from the top of my head except the papyrus (which you already said) that I know for certain will grow half in and half out of water without a humid environment. I have been trialling a bright red plant (that almost looks like a shallot) which I collected around where I live for a few months with a degree of success. I might be able to send you some of that and some papyrus that I have in a pond if you were still after some plants for this project.
    Last edited by Cryptocorynus; 25-06-16 at 04:42 PM.

What about Rush, I see them quite frequently when fishing and kayaking with a submerged crown and leaves emersed.

There are quite good lists on planted tank.

I get really keen to do this every month or 3 but get lazy and don't do it

Echinodorus sp. look good growing out of the tank.