Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello from Sydney.... Beginner Low Tech Tank

Default Hello from Sydney.... Beginner Low Tech Tank

Hi all,

I've been lurking abit here the past weeks, reading and learning...

Finally decided to start my first freshwater nano tank. Went out and got Aquamanta Xanti 26L tank. The tank came with a 3W LED but was afraid it wasn't enough for plants, so got a Aquaone 6w Touch LED light.

Crappy phone picture for now:

Fishless cycle started Saturday, so its been about 5 days now. I haven't got a water reading yet, but will do so this weekend at LFS.

The tank seems to be going well, except for two issues, that maybe some of you experts can help with some suggestions

1) My Anubis on driftwood doesn't seem to be doing well. The leafs start to turn dark green and curling up, some of them start to get holes. They looked fine in the shop when I got them. I've dosed the tank with 0.5ml of Flourish 3 days ago, but doesn't seem to help. Pic below:

2) Some fuzzy white stuff, looks like fungus/algae started growing on my driftwood. Its all over my driftwood, is this normal?? Hopefully you can see from my pics below

Should I be concerned with both these issues?

Thanks,

Hiya welcome! Great looking tank.

Anubias may be melting. Unfortunately this can happen sometimes and there is little you can do apart from trimming any dead leaves and removing it from tank.

Ignore that fuzz. It will pass.

Is that MC? If so, rip it out and seperate into single strands and plant it evenly. You'd get a better result that way.

Thanks Rebel!

Anubias melting Unfortunately, after looking at it yesterday again, I see that most of the leaves have became like that...the leaves are turning dark green & soft. See how it develops by next week, might just need to give up on the 2 anubias

The white fuzz stuff is also growing by the day! So I should just leave it be?? Or try to scrub them off?

Cheers,

Quote Originally Posted by imba View Post
    Thanks Rebel!

Anubias melting Unfortunately, after looking at it yesterday again, I see that most of the leaves have became like that...the leaves are turning dark green & soft. See how it develops by next week, might just need to give up on the 2 anubias

The white fuzz stuff is also growing by the day! So I should just leave it be?? Or try to scrub them off?

Cheers,
    No need to give up on the anubis. It may recover. Sometimes it doesnt though. Just get some more when the tank is stable.

Fuzz; you can either leave it; remove it or feed it to the cat.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    No need to give up on the anubis. It may recover. Sometimes it doesnt though. Just get some more when the tank is stable.

Fuzz; you can either leave it; remove it or feed it to the cat.
    Alright, thanks! Time to find a cat

Hello folks,

Looking for further advice here, as my water PH is seems to be quite low at 6 - 6.4. I've read that its hard for a new tank to get the cycle going with a low PH, because the bacteria don't thrive at low PH levels.

My tap water has high PH 7.6, but always after WC, the PH goes back down to 6.4 after two days, I'm wondering what's lowering my PH in my tank? The tanks is moderately planted (as you see from the pic above), with a driftwood, with no other inhabitants as its cycling. I'm using blackearth substrate.

Ideally, I guess I want to have a stable PH of 7 to move the cycling process along? Is that correct?

Any advise guys?

Black earth lowers your pH and that level is fine for cycling. You can add a small amount (50cent piece) of coral to your fliter to help stabilise the kH a little. Either way it should cycle.

Thanks Rebel, I'll take your advise and maybe get a coral / crushed corals to buffer the KH and PH.

Two weeks since the tank was started. Water parameters as of today. Not sure whether I'm making progress at all

PH 6 (or below)
    Ammonia 0.25 - 0.5ppm
    Nitrite 0
    Nitrate 0

LFS says I need to add some fish to "kickstart" the tank, buttt.....I'm not so sure with these readings
    Last edited by imba; 09-05-16 at 11:17 AM.

LFS would say that. Then you'd buy a fish and come back and get another one when it dies!

If you've got ammonia (you do), your cycle will happen. Your aquasoil will leech enough ammonia to cycle the tank without adding fish
    Luke

Yea Luke, I guess I just need to be patient.

Added about 10 pieces of coral rubble in a filter bag and hopefully that will stabilise the KH and PH a little. Will test the water tonight to see whether its working

Hi imba, your tank will take about 4-6 weeks to cycle so no hurry. aim for kh of around 4-6.

Good on you for choosing to do a fishless cycle and posting here before following that advice

Some LFS staff are a bit dodgy but many others are fantastic. It can take a while to find LFS staff that you can trust........... some of your fellow Sydney-siders can likely point you in the right direction for good retail advice.

Thanks guys!

Yeah, wanted to do it right, even if its my first time. What I regretted a little is not getting a bigger tank, as now I know smaller tanks are actually harder to keep for beginners

Anyways, where my tanks is now, do you guys think I should feed it Ammonia to speed up/kickstart the cycling process? I've read around that people add pure ammonia, dead prawns, or fish food etc, to keep ammonia levels at 2-4ppm to feed the beneficial bacteria, but I haven't done anything as such so far. Sydney tap water already has ammonia of 0.5-1ppm, and my tank has 0.25-0.5ppm consistently which is lower (I guess because of the plants?)

Is my ammonia level too low for the cycling process?
    If I add source of ammonia, will it be ok for the plants? The amount of plants currently in the tank shown in image below. Will it be ok together with adding API quick start as well?

Last edited by imba; 09-05-16 at 11:22 AM.

Hey guys!

I'm doing a two year update! LOL I'm glad to say that I'm still in the hobby.

This tank has come a long way, here is how it looks like since 2016.

Its now home to my male betta, Zeus together with 4 RCS, 5 Darwin Algae Shrimp, and 1 Nerite snail.

Some pictures of Zues and his buddies

Great scape indeed! Well done.

Those koi bettas becoming more popular. Good choise for this tank. Does he have a go at the shrimp?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast