Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New 6ft Borneo paludarium

Default New 6ft Borneo paludarium

Finally got the energy and time to make a start on this project. Have had a spare 6x2 gathering dust in the pool house for a while and decided over the long weekend to make a start on my Borneo palu to go in the bedroom. The idea is to have my buce and crypts in there. The tank has two waterfalls, one on the left and one in the middle for buce plus a land area on the right for emersed crypts. Will also put in some creepers along the wall and try a few native peperomias up high. Moss will go in too and maybe some microsorum species. Last two days have been getting the basic form and glueing, will start refining the shape now with expanding foam and then sculpt in the details, grout and colour (going for dark basalt) and cure for a while. Need to rebuild the cabinet as well. Will collect a heap of basalt from the creek in our farm to fill in around the base. No idea on fauna yet, probably some riffles and hill stream loaches?

Last edited by masone; 24-04-16 at 03:16 PM.
    Cheers,
    Matt

Looks awesome so far! I've done a few using silicone/toluene and peat moss, would look very Borneo-ish...
    Look forward to the next update

Dave.

Does it come out in pieces or are you making it in the tank? Great start. Did you removed the bracing on the tank or has it always been just the narrow euro-brace (seems narrow for a 6x2x2).

Looking forward to this one! So unique!!!

Are you going to have fish etc at the bottom??

Surfydave, I will be doing silicone and coco peat on the right wall for moss and vines and also on some ledges to encourage moss growth.

Grubs, background comes out in three pieces so I can work on it. Removed the centre braces while it's being built (fun experience!) and will put them back after so I can use the lids to maintain humidity.

Not sure on fish yet, will have about 5 inches of water so hillstream loaches would enjoy the tank.
    Cheers,
    Matt

Got the carving done today, thank you dremel! Some of the finer detail will be lost when I grout it but the main stuff will remain which is what I'm after. Pretty happy with my first time using this type of foam.

Cheers,
    Matt

Finished the last bits of the background this arvo and gave the waterfall a test run, works like a charm. Final depth of water will be another 2 inches but just put enough to run the pump. Next step is rendering!
    Left hand waterfall

Middle waterfall

Fts
    Cheers,
    Matt

Shaping up nicely there Matt.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantrasy View Post
    Shaping up nicely there Matt.
    Literally

Looks great. I've built several backgrounds for reptile enclosures using polystyrene & render,what sort of foam is that?

Any updates?

Freakin awesome. Love paludariums. What foam is that?

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Freakin awesome. Love paludariums. What foam is that?
    Used extruded foam that is for insulation, like carving balsa wood. Have finished grouting and coco peat wall for the "dirt bank" which the vines/ferns/mosses will grow on. Planter sections were left in raw foam as they will be filled with soil mix for crypts in the lower one and maybe begonia and nepenthes in the higher one. Just need to silicone in a new centre brace for peace of mind then I can move it, get the substrate and rocks in and start planting the terrestrial plants. Will monitor the water for a while to see how much is leaching out of the grout before I think about adding my buce and fauna.
    Cheers,
    Matt

Finally got around to getting the tank moved today and did the initial terrestrial planting. Still need to cut the acrylic lids to size, install a fan and misting system, buy an led for the tank and get the substrate and rocks sorted. Will bank the substrate up to the right and use that for submersed and emersed crypts, buce will go on the left under the falls.
    Cheers,
    Matt

You have done a great job on those rocks. It looks very realistic and quite inspiring.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast