Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Grubs' Emersed crypts

Soon you can start a crypt only aquascaped tank with CO2. It will be easy to keep em submerged that way. Maybe convert your 600.... :P

It will happen sooner rather than later... (maybe not the big tank) there are a few crypts I want to plant into a bigger area with deep substrate rather than in pots so they could get big and multiply. I started planting my 45cm cube with crypts (and CO2) but work got in the way and while I was busy a whole truck load of BGA snuck in the door and has made a bloody mess. Forgot the golden rule of planting heavy at the start or filling with floaters and with just a few small slow growers its a nightmare

Do you have crypt affinis? Humidity is also important in growing crypts emersed. Do you know what the humidity is?
    Dif-tor heh smusma
    Live long and Prosper....

ANGFA Vic Member, EDAS & EDAS PSG Member & AGA Member.
    Owner Reservoir Aquatics Tissue Culture Lab

Hey Grubs....I've been away too long. This is a real inspiration and, in particular, I love the way you have used whatever materials were at hand and applied a bit of logic to your system.
    Most people would think your plants were grown with the right lights, CO2 etc. But here, we can see that you have just imagined the conditions in their habitats and created your own, very effective system with styro boxes and bubble wrap.
    Really impressed but you can drop dead so far as I'm concerned......and, NO>>>I'm not jealous....I'm just going to make a few little changes of my own....(YES...he's jealous).

Thumbs Up New emersed growing spaces: Cryptaria!

My mission to preserve Crypts and to get more named varieties back into cultivation has become a bit of an obsession. - refer the Current Australian Crypt List and I've also started cataloguing my plants in a blog.

This year has seen a significant expansion in my emersed crypt collection. Many new pots have come from submersed crypts that have multiplied allowing me to move clones to emersed growth as well as keep duplicates in different areas for a bit of "security". There has also been some new plants added from friends/forum members and a few purchases.

Over winter I had 7 foam boxes as shown in previous posts under plastic with heaters in them trying to keep all the plants happy. Expensive to run and a tangle of cords. Now I've moved into two new "fancy" growing spaces that are... nearly full already!

The SHED Cryptarium

Made from my old 6x2x2 aquarium that split when the silicon holding the braces gave way.

I removed the bracing and tipped the tank over so the face of the tank is now the base and the base is now the back facing a big west facing window in my shed. The opening is now on the front at a good working and viewing height for plants thanks to a second hand pine cabinet (ebay!).

I bought a piece of polished glass to silicon across the opening to hold the water. The opening is closed off by a piece of twin-wall polycarbonate that is a friction fit with the twin walls straddling the top of the glass lip at the bottom. A couple of cable grommets are installed as vents and handles. Prior to installing the cable grommets as vents, on a hot day the afternoon sun through the window was pushing the air temp to 40+C and the vents now stop this overheating. I also put some translucent polycarbontate between the tank and the window to diffuse the direct sun.

The base is drilled at each end and bulkheads are installed that allow a passive thermosiphon loop of 16/22mm hose lagged with closed cell pipe insulation to an external DIY heater chamber in the cabinet underneath. There is no pump. The 150W Jager heater is mounted up-side down so that hot water rises passively into the tank above at one end of the "cryptarium", and cooler water sinks out of the exit bulkead at the other end of the tank and flows downward to the heater. Heater is set to 20C to minimise the running costs. The thermosiphon works a treat.

A keen eye will see a couple of swords hiding amongst the crypts but I'm not starting an Echinodorus collection any time soon so these may go when I need more space!

The "Baptism Tub" Cryptarium

This one is a lot simpler - $20 on ebay secured this "Baptism Tub" - I love a good STEAL! 7 x 2.5 x 3 feet in size. sitting on a base of milk crates (free from gumtree!). The plants sit on another row of inverted milk crates inside the tub. This allows the tub to hold a large volume of water that stabilises the temperature which is critical thanks to Melbourne's crazy weather. My glasshouse temperature fluctuates wildly and can get far too frick'n' hot on a summers day. A sheet of greenhouse plastic keeps the warmth in while its cool... but if summer ever gets here I'll switch to shadecloth so it breathes a bit better and I have some misters on a timer. In winter I'll still have to heat this sucker (I'm trying not to think about it)... but I may be able to wrap it in insulation.

...and just when you thought I might be going a little over the top... ebay just provided the next instalment for when these overflow! HAHA!
    Last edited by Grubs; 04-11-17 at 09:47 PM.

Incredible. Incredible. Incredible. Need I say more? The tank on its side is something I haven't thought to try but now I see it it makes complete sense (I'm going through the tops of tanks and the small openings are causing me grief!). That tub is also amazing... need to keep my eyes peeled for something like that as the Sistema clear boxes I'm using are not ideal. By the way I've been meaning to send you a PM for a while too. I'll try getting one together in the next few days if you don't beat me to it - I've got some info to pass onto you about a few things.
    Last edited by Cryptocorynus; 21-01-18 at 06:00 AM.

I'm really happy with what I'm seeing, too. I'm impressed by all those plants you're keeping.

-Kamran

Amazing! Love the dedication!

Nice work Grubs, good to see some amazing progress on your crypt growing setup. The plants look happy as well!

I have dug deep into The Crypt Pages and also followed Kasselmanns trips to observe and collect in the wild.
    I've noticed something you and I have in common, Grubs.
    We don't just rely on hobby information. For example, a lot can be learned by reading about AROIDS that share similar habitats.
    I love the way you consider all available info and then modify the practices to suit your conditions.
    We can all learn a lot from you mate.

These plants look awesome Grubs! How would you transition them to submerged? Have you done this before?

I imagine you would setup a tank that is gradually flooded? - How gradual would this process be? Would it be expected for some leaves to melt in this process?

We've always struggled with plants and I think I'd like to try to grow emerged versions to get more production and then slowly introduce in tanks...

We got a plant pack with all in one fertiliser from LCA 2 weeks ago and hoping to get better results this time... At the moment all plants went to a 4x2x2 tank (stocked with only 2 adult Angelfish) trying to get them stabilised and strong...

Would you have any advice to share
    -----

Our pond project
    http://www.aquariumlife.com.au/showthread.php/63649-Natural-Looking-pond-with-waterfall-in-our-frontyard

Grubs that cryptarium is amazing! Good stuff mate and I love seeing that you've still got all your species!
    Chris -my tank

I was glad to finally make good use of the tank. Its been taking up space in my shed for a couple of years because I had this idea brewing.

Regarding transition from submersed to emersed and back - the key is that a high humidity makes the transition easier. If I take a submersed plant and put it in the enclosed glass tank where the humidity is 100% and I spray them a bit then some of the submersed leaves will often survive. If I put them in the tub in the glasshouse that has more ventilation then the submersed leaves will typically wither into nothing. Going the other way is similar. A plant from a high humidity environment will have thinner, softer leaves with a thin cuticle that is more similar to the aquatic growth and will often persist under water. From a dryer environment the leaves will be more robust, with thicker cuticles and these are often the ones that melt away when transferring to submersed culture.

I've been hoarding plants for a while now as I want at least 4 pots of each variety (2 submersed and 2 emersed) before I send spares out to other people. Some plants multiple quickly, but I have some that I've had for 4 years and still only have 1 tiny pot! They are a long term project!

Thank you for the info Grubs and congratulations on this awesome project! I admire your persistence!
    -----

Our pond project
    http://www.aquariumlife.com.au/showthread.php/63649-Natural-Looking-pond-with-waterfall-in-our-frontyard

damnit i have not been able to see the pics for the last 4 days now...
    my work server blocks the host you are using.

got to remind myself to look at the forum from home. sounds epic though!
    [sigpic][/sigpic]
    We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors,
    We borrow it from our Children.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast