Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where to buy cherry shrimp in Sydney

Default Where to buy cherry shrimp in Sydney

I'm just starting out with cherry shrimp and wanting to buy some for my community tank but have checked all the top aquarium places in Sydney and they all only seem to have reds and low grade other colours. I really only want about 10 total of varying colours in mid-high grade if possible

Where can I find a breeder of seller I can buy them from directly in Sydney- I want to see them before I hand out my hard earned cash and I'd always prefer pick up over delivery.

Keen to get neon yellow/bright yellow, blue dream/deep blue, oranges, deep reds, etc

Any info at all would be great and much appreciated

Cheers, Kiri

Already been to:
    Hurstville Aquarium
    Fish Rock Artarmon
    Le Aquatic Lansvale
    Kellyville Pets
    Auburn Aquarium
    Sydney Discus World
    FishTank
    Aquaristic
    City Pet & Aquarium

Welcome to the forum!
    If you get different coloured cherries together in the same tank they will interbreed.
    You are better off buying some off a private breeder (cheaper)
    I am acquiring some chocolate and black cherries this week, i live in Epping and i don't mind splitting the cost for some (i bought 30)
    I have some low grade red ones you can have for free if you wanted to try them out first but sorry i don't have any high grades for sale at the moment.
    PM me and i can give you the contact of other breeders who can be more of a service to you if you like
    Chatony

GUMTREE. or listen to Chatony.

I'd suggest against blue dreams for a community tank. It could prove to be a costly snack for your fish!

Try gumtree, petlink, or shrimpscape forums. Local fish stores will be fairly expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by eciuj View Post
    I'd suggest against blue dreams for a community tank. .
    agree. THey cost about $7-10 per pop. I regularly see shrimp carcass hanging out of my guppy mouths.

Quote Originally Posted by chatony111 View Post
    Welcome to the forum!
    If you get different coloured cherries together in the same tank they will interbreed.
    You are better off buying some off a private breeder (cheaper)
    I am acquiring some chocolate and black cherries this week, i live in Epping and i don't mind splitting the cost for some (i bought 30)
    I have some low grade red ones you can have for free if you wanted to try them out first but sorry i don't have any high grades for sale at the moment.
    PM me and i can give you the contact of other breeders who can be more of a service to you if you like
    I'm after some as well Chatony; if you could help as well with a contact!

Still in the process of a DSM but would likely just have RCS or CRS a month or 2 after i flood the tank..

which could be in decemeber or early next year!

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    agree. THey cost about $7-10 per pop. I regularly see shrimp carcass hanging out of my guppy mouths.
    damn, please find me some for under $15 haha. I have only ever seen them for $20+ each!

I am not sure if i can refer to ext websites which was why i asked gk_2v to pm me but since everyone is interested, there is a facebook group called Australian Shrimp Auctions where people can get shrimps for 'cheap'. I have seen blue dreams for less than 20 each there.

Sorry Moderators if that was not allow, please censor this if it is so.
    Chatony

Quote Originally Posted by eciuj View Post
    damn, please find me some for under $15 haha. I have only ever seen them for $20+ each!
    WHAAA? I haven't looked for many months. Perhaps like the yellow cherries they've become rare since everyone is breeding pinto this and that.

The cheaper blue cherries are the blue velvet cherry shrimp

The blue dreams are a deeper blue

-note- these photos are found on Google and are not my own
    Chatony

jaw on the floor....

Ive only got endlers & neons and plenty of plants and ground cover so dont think ill have an issue with them being eaten.

All ive found so far for blue dreams is $20 each- trying to hold out... cant resist

I had a particularly aggressive pair of endlers once that completely decimated my cherry shrimps, even the adults. Best to test with a cheap shrimp first to be sure

Quote Originally Posted by chatony111 View Post
    The blue dreams are a deeper blue
    Blue dreams and bright yellows are what caught my eye when looking for glass cleaners...

Now they say black sand or soil or a black sand and gravel mix will give the darkest colours, that looks fine with red, yellow and orange.

I was thinking red for blacks, browns and blues to give a contrast and still dark enough to bring out the best colours. Now the problem is that what I have found so far in shrimp products is dark brown to almost black Is this where you have to compromise and use some gravel or have my google skills failed me?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast