Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1321222324 LastLast

Thread: Breeding Rack Journal

Have started up a facebook page for the 'fishroom' to keep updates rolling, etc. For anyone interested in following along with more regular updates, you can follow on here:
    https://www.facebook.com/aquapixelfishroom

I will still be keeping my journal here up to date but as usual will do larger posts instead of many small posts like I will be on facebook

Will be back soon with some updates! Have had some spawns and even some success, and some new fish coming early next week so stay tuned!
    "The stuff I buy is a bit pricey however it is as dry as a nuns nasty" - BigDaddyAdo

Following......

www.aquapixel.com.au FTW!!

Update time as promised! As usual, pics are at the end of the post

Big thank you to Slin again for the CPD group! Have managed to get them spawning from the get go. In total have around 100 fry at last count, ranging from a about 4-5 days free swimming to 10 days old. Was away for a few days and they stopped spawning but are starting back up again now, albeit onlya few eggs every other day right now.

The A. Erythrura (Rio mamore) fry from last update were eaten at wriggler stage by the female unfortunately. But they spawned again a few days ago and i decided to take half of the eggs to hatch myself. She ate them at wriggler stage again but I've got about 20 at the wriggler stage right now. Should be free swimming in a couple of days hopefully!

The rams have had a couple of HUGE spawns with around 500 eggs. I took some the first time but had issues with the fry swimming at surface from day 1 which resulted in me losing the fry in the end. They've spawned again 2 days ago and i collected more eggs, they have not hatched into wrigglers yet. The pair has unfortunately eaten their eggs again on the 2nd day They also went crazy on the P. luminatus I had with them, have moved these now but lost 1 and they are all looking a little worse for wear right now. Hopefully they come good though.

Sourced a male for my Dicroussus Maculatus and he is very pretty! He is currently quite skittish and hides away so hard to get photos but he is displaying to the females so hopefully will see some spawns in the next couple of weeks

Traded my Notho Korthusae for some Ginga Rubra Endlers. The endlers have dropped babies in the tank but I only found 3 (They are much larger fry than i am used too haha). These are mostly for my partner to try and get her into the hobby a little (Rams are hers too) Also got my hands on some eggs of Rachovia sp. 'Monteria' and hatched them out ended up with 11 free swimming fry. Lets see how they go

Slowly building my live food culture collection again. Currently have paramecium, vinegar eels, micro worms, grindal worms, white worms, wingless fruit flies. The white worms and fruit flies I only just got this week, so they have not established yet but fingers crossed as i didnt have much luck with the white worms in the past. I plan to try culturing some earthworms/compost worms and collecting the young worms to feed to my adult dwarf cichlids. I'm hoping with these and the white worms i shouldnt need to buy/use blackworms as often (or at all) so will save some $ on feedings. Will see how this goes and judge if they are worth the time/effort.

I think that is about it fish room wise for now More to come soon though!

Thanks for reading and hope you enjoy the photos below!

Dicrossus Maculatus - Male:

German Blue Ram - Male:

German Blue Ram - Female:

German Blue Ram - Eggs

Corydoras Schwartzi (Purchased as this but likely Agassizi or similar):

Rachovia sp. 'Montiera' - Egg on peat. ~1mm in size:

Rachovia sp. 'Montiera' - Egg on finger tip:
    "The stuff I buy is a bit pricey however it is as dry as a nuns nasty" - BigDaddyAdo

Thanks for the update. It was a good read.
    Those German blue rams are beautiful.

Thanks lastlineofdefence. Glad you enjoyed it. The rams are very pretty indeed, especially when they are on eggs/fry like they were in the above photos

Wow Indir, great to have you back my man. Such yummy photos and success. Wishing you the best.

Thanks Rebel! Glad your enjoying the photos

@Spidy - Here you go. bringing this up for you Long read but lots of nice pics

I'll be back with an update soon. Will try to get some more pics tonight, have some new stock , etc!

Lots happening in the fish room Slowly growing and getting back into my apistos, having managed to source some rarer species recently! Some SUPER bad news though I sourced a pair of Ivanacara adoketa, however they did not travel well and unfortunately I lost both fish in transit. I was honestly gutted by this but thankfully the apistos they travelled with were okay at least but will be back on the hunt for more adoketas at some point hopefully.

Have ordered a Resun LP60 air pump to upgrade the fish room as the current air setup is not cutting it for what I have and I am also expanding to a fry rack in the near future for some extra room! So this upgrade will come in handy big time!

Have lost a couple of fish and no idea what the cause has been. Lost the male Dicrossus Maculatus a couple of days after he arrived, and also lost the male German Blue ram. Also have lost my male endlers. However not all bad news I suppose as I have some fry from the rams and endlers, albeit only 3 endler fry for now haha. I'll be on the look out to replace all 3 lost male species. Strange that it was only the males of all fish

Fry are going reasonably well, have around 30 CPD fry in a grow out tub at the moment which i picked up for really cheap when a local store was closing down. THey hold around 50L i think. Also have 5-6 Rachovia sp. 'Monteria' With them, but a few belly sliders here unfortunately. Currently also have 3 endler fry, plus another 10-15 CPD in breeder boxes. CPD are fairly steady and getting about 20-30 eggs a week on average, could be better but still good! No complaints here really. Have managed to source some Nothobranchius Guentheri eggs, and some more Rachovia sp. Will see how these go, at last count had ~40 N. Guentheri which should be ~10 days old now so hopefully will see a growth explosion from them soon. And had about 10 Rachovia sp hatch, although a fair few belly sliders again

Have been having issues raising my ram fry though... Never had this before, but have had 4 batches so far and i've hatched them in a container with meth blue etc and all is good. Once they are free swimming they seem to hover at the surface instead of swimming throughout the tank (mostly at the bottom?) which seems odd as they than don't really feed and perish within a couple of days... This last batch i kept them in a critter keepr which holds around 1L of water, with a small 3D printed filter with the flow on super low. Fry are still hanging at the surface but i've been feeding vinegar eels today at least and they APPEAR to be eating but its hard to tell really... Does anyone have any ideas on the cause and remedy for this issue???

Managed to source two more apisto species recently, one of which has been on my wishlist for a long time and is up there with my favourite apisto species! I picked up a pair of Apistogramma Allpahuayo (which are the wishlist species) and also a pair of Apistogramma 'Barbarosa' (Which is reclasiffied as Eremnopyge now). However I am fairly confident the male Barbarossa is actually A. Bitaeniata or at least a cross between the two as they are closely related species. I'm a little torn on what to do with them right now, especially as they are very close to spawning by the looks of things!

I got 2 starter cultures of white worms from someone today, and boy was i amazed! The cultures were full blown with probably thousands of worms in each container. This was AWESOME for me to see as i never had luck with white worms in the past and im confident it was mostly because of hte lack of worm numbers. I've set these up into 3 containers, and even had some left over which crawled out of the containers so I fed half to the fish and put half in a styrofoam box culture in the fish room to see how they go in room temp which is what the worm seller does. However since online suggests 12-18 being optimal temps, i put the other 3 main cultures into my wine cooler specifically for them... Hopefully these go really well as I hope to use these in place of black worms to fatten fish up alongside the compost worms (which ahve been great so far!)

Anyway enough text, and here are the pics! Hope you enjoyed the update, and the photos below! Thanks for following and dont forget facebook has regular updates of the fish room!
    https://www.facebook.com/aquapixelfishroom

Gingra Rubra Endler - Fry. 5 days old

Rachovia sp. 'Monteria' - 4 day old

German blue ram wriggler

Apistogramma Allpahuayo - Female

Apistogramma Allpahuayo - Male

Apistogramma Barbarossa - Female

Apistogramma Barbarossa - Male (If you can zoom into this photo far enough you will see teeth in his mouth! Amazing and something I did not know!)

Apistogramma Barbarossa - Pair

German Blue Ram Fry - 2 days old

Nothobranchius Guentheri - 10 day old

Nothobranchius Guentheri - 10 day old fry - Interestingly there appears to be excrement coming from the fry here, but is small round balls which I have not seen ever before! Haha

Mate, this is an awesome journal! Keep up the good work. Sorry to hear about your male deaths.

As to the new free swimming fry always at the surface, the only thing I would suggest is looking at the source of your water. I know a lot of city municipalities add or remove a lot of additives in the summer months. Maybe too much added chlorine, nitrates?

Anyway, am following here and on Facebook.

P.S. The web site seems to have stalled?

Thanks Spidy, glad you've enjoyed the read

Thanks for the info, I am using water from the tanks to replace their water. I will give RO water a go on the next batch to see if it makes a difference. Maybe 50/50 RO and tap.

Aquapixel is still going, just adding to it VERY slowly. I have not had time to jump in and write all the articles I want just yet. I am writing them in the background as I get time though

Indir I am keen to get an idea of daily maintenance routine and time commitment.

I am assuming;
    Egg collection: 10 mins.
    Water changes: 15 mins.
    Top offs: 5 mins.
    Feeding etc: 5 mins.
    Live food: 5 mins.
    Equipment check: 5mins.

45 mins daily?

Quote Originally Posted by indir View Post
    ....... I will give RO water a go on the next batch to see if it makes a difference. Maybe 50/50 RO and tap........
    Sounds like a good idea. Using other tank water to replace theirs could introduce high nitrates and phosphates/silicates etc. You don't mention if you use an air stone?

@Rebel - to be honest i probably spend an hour a day in the fish room. But thats just coz i spend time watching the fish etc. Haha. As a break down roughly per day i'd say:
    - 10-15 minutes to feed + general check over of all fish health etc. Feeding occurs twice a day.
    - Egg collection - ~5 minutes including moving them to a hatching container after collection
    - Water change on the fry containers/shoe boxes - ~10-15 minutes, usually I am doing this every other day as my fry containers/boxes are all filtered. I am trying to figure out a way to increase my speed here, this is time consuming and kind of annoying doing them individually by hand... Will likely use 8mm ivnyl tubing to drain them with a printed mesh over the end of the hose to stop fry going down the drain. This should increase speed away from my current 4mm air line setup, or using small containers to scoop water in/out.
    - Live food maintenance/collection - ~5 minutes

I dont do top offs, not enough evaporation to warrant it really. Tanks all have lids on them. I do water changes of 50% once a week on all tanks on the rack. Takes 30 minutes on average, up to an hour or so if I am cleaning glass/lids/equipment/etc.

@Spidy - The rams are currently in a critter keeper with a 3d printed filter on a low bubble rate. Have previously used an air stone only but no love there. I've been using dechlorinated tap water with this last batch instead of tank water, might be a difference overall.

Yeah, that's what I meant by shit in tap water we're not aware of. At any rate, I wish you luck with the Rams. Just wished you were closer so I could buy some off you when ready!

Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1321222324 LastLast