Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Breeding Rack Journal

I guess you won't be needing my moss, microwoms and ferns now Saves you the extra trip!

Might I bug you for which RO tap adapter you are using? I still haven't sorted one out for my RO filter

No light = ambient light not total darkness. To me most people put a light specifically on the Artemia hatch tank. This is not required. I hatch every 3 days...no light
    60 X 40 X 40 fire (jungle 3 sided scape)
    http://www.aquariumlife.com.au/showt...-old-2ft-tank)

Ah my rack is in the laundry, when the light is off there is no ambient light... So that wouldnt work for me, i assumed you meant total darkness too F&M3. How is your breeding efforts coming along? I think I need a couple of male CPDs....

@LOD - Still keen on the moss/ferns, they were for the fry tanks Happy to make the trip if your still want. As for the tap adapter, i had to get one fo those internal threaded taps so used this:
    https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Diverter...72.m2749.l2649

But if you have the diverter valve (or a tap to 4mm thread that fits) you could use this:
    https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Tap-Thre...72.m2749.l2649
    Last edited by indir; 14-01-18 at 09:29 PM.

@FM3, wonder what the light intensity requirements are for the brine shrimpies? Maybe it's very low light for 23 hours? Maybe try the 23 h trick and see whether you can get better yields?

@Indir, I have some low light suitable plants for you. I will msg you.

Back at it with another update I decided to rearrange the fish "room" a little better as there was just a mess of things everywhere (and there is again now... Grr) and i didn't like the wine cooler being in front. I've moved the cooler to the right which gave me some extra room to play around the pegboard which is better. The drawers/stash of fish stuff is against the wall infront of the rack by about 1-1.5m, just "behind" me in the photo below:

And this is the stack of fish stuff... The extra tank will likely end up on the balcony for daphnia culture or maybe even in the fish "room" somewhere, not sure. All the extra bits and pieces will end up going to my storage room at some point...

I've 3d printed some custom mounts for the pegboard to mount live foods onto to get them off the ground, the only ones not here are the Vinegar Eels which sit just underneath and infusoria, which now sits next to the VEs. I will at some point be getting a paramecium culture again, I dont like the inconsistency of the infusoria cultures using lettuce. You can also just see of the left that I 3d printed a little mount for the digital thermometer, these are not super accurate (off by about 1 degree each compared to my infrared thermometer) but give me a rough idea that things are not totally off.

I filled the rain water tank with RO water in hopes of reducing pH in all tanks but have not yet used this as the pH actually rose compared to tap? I then tracked my tap water and over hte course of 4-5 days the pH and TDS would fluctuate. I've picked Hydrochloric Acid (as per previous usage) and diluted it 1:1 with water, than diluted it again 1:1. I need about 5mL of this to get 100L of RO water down to ~6-6.5pH which is my aim for general soft water tanks. Some tanks later will be lower, etc. (this is mostly for my own info to refer back to but it might be useful to someone at some point...). Only did this today, so next water change day will be using this water most likely in a few tanks just to soften the water up for breeding purposes.

Live food cultures are doing well, except the white worms. White worm culture starters were quite small and I split them into 2 containers which was likely a bad idea but hey maybe they will come good eventually... Ill keep my eye out for more cultures too. Fruit fly larvae are popping up now so should see an abundance of flies at some point this week. Grindals slowly building good numbers. Microworms are easy anyway, and vinegar eels are mostly set and forget (and take a few weeks to get going in good numbers).

The original CPD fry that hatched is now free swimming as of today, and i've been getting good egg numbers from the Emerald Tiger Danios. I've got about 50 wrigglers which should be free swimming in the next few days, and collected another 30 eggs today. THeir hatch rates are pretty solid. I collected 70+ eggs in one collection with another 20+ unfertilised that i left behind haha. Getting decent numbers of these from the trio that is spawning, i also ahve 2 extra females. My plan is to get another 2-3 male CPDs and another male or 2 of the ETD. This should give me enough breeders to work with and mix up blood lines a little bit too. Trying to find a source for these though.

I picked up 4 x Red Whiptail Catfish (L010A) which is pretty high in my want list too. Good to have sourced them, they are 50-60mm in length and I have 4. Though 1 appears to be either gravid, bloated or has air trapped. Fingers crossed it pulls through, i've fed peas tonight in hopes they feed on this and unbloat. But time will tell i suppose. These guys are very high on my want to breed list so fingers crossed i get atleast a pair out of the 4 I have. Currently it is to hard to sex them accurately for me... These guys spawn in open ended pipes and usually people use PVC pipes but i hate the look of them and ended up finding people who use bamboo caves and off I went and grabbed a bamboo garden stake (dried) and cut it to size, washed and boiled to get them to sink. (these release tannins in small-ish amount if anyone is interested). They look pretty cool IMO, though they will slowly rot and/or be eaten by plecos over time so will need replacing every now and again but this isnt a big deal. Will likely replace these for something permenant once i find something I like. I've put the L010s in the top row in with the P. Luminatus, mostly because these tanks are the easiest to view

Only have photos taken with my phone for now, more to come once they settle in a little.

Biggest whiptail (bloated one):

Bamboo caves in tank:

Random crappy photo with my phone (zoomed a fair bit) but the occie female buried herself in the sand for a short period today, i thought she disappeared and than had abit of laugh before she come out to chase teh male away from her shells

They've also rearranged their tank a bit, go back a page or 2 to compare if your keen I promised an updated photo taken a few days after the extra shells went in.

And to make up for the crappy phone pics, here is some pics taking with my DSLR!

Male Emerald Tiger Danio:

L397 Male - This is his favourite hanging out spot, he just peaks out of the cave At least I get to see him haha.

L397 - Male

L397 - Female - which im starting to think MIGHT be a male but I suck at sexing catfish so...

Thanks for following along and hope you are enjoying the journal!

P.S - Slowly collating all info into a organised fashion and working on building a website for lots of fishy info and goodness, ill post here at some point with links, etc if I ever get it done... Its been a long time in the making lol.

Yes. This is a most informative thread. Your knowledge and others comments are really interesting. Also I like to play identify the blue thing.

Looks good Indir, your photography makes me jealous every time.

Not sure if I'm missing something but the biggest whiptail just looks slightly fat? I'm very jealous and would love to get my hands on some red whips myself.

And another question, have the luminatus been giving you eggs?

@godiscus - Thank you, glad you are finding some useful information That blue thing is a 3D printed air driven filter I designed and printed to be able to hold biological media in my tanks but run with the air pump that runs my entire rack. Hope that helps. Theres a few close up pictures a few pages back.

@wread17 - Thanks mate Lots of light and lots of sitting still and waiting haha. Its not as obvious in the photos but it is quite large in the stomach area and when i first released into tank had some issue while swimming. I'll be keeping an eye on them for now. If they spawn at some point, there will be fry coming up so keep an eye on the thread in a couple months haha

No eggs from the Luminatus Bastards... I've been checking daily but havn't foudn a single egg. They display and run toward the mop any time the lights are on though.... Probably just eating their eggs
    Last edited by indir; 17-01-18 at 09:55 AM.

Indir... my Artemia is in the lounge room; ambient daylight then total darkness from 9pm (aquarium lights) through 6am ambient light again

Interesting tiger danio markings, mine are distinct discreet vertical lines like on internet pics

Don’t forget I’ve got tigers and CPDs I can send you
    Last edited by Fishandme3; 17-01-18 at 09:46 AM.

Hmm, ah well guess ill have to test it at some point Haha.

Yeah I thought so too , could be crossbred with something I suppose? But only the male has any real markings and colour on him so I am mostly assuming them to be lower quality I guess...

PM Sent btw

Waiting for your new book Indir: "The Blue Filter Diaries": Ultimate Guide to Breeding Ornamental Fish.

Theres more to breeding ornamental fish than blue filters, there is also blue pegboard mounts and orange filter lids! Thank you very much Rebel!

Love the L397's.

Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast