Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 14222324

Thread: Breeding Rack Journal

The fry hatching/raising container generally looks like this:

It has the free swimming fry in it, one ramshorn snail, and the 3d printed filter with mature media in it.

Unrelated but I remodelled the 3d printed filter to increase their performance and strength overall. There is a 3d printed air stone at the base of these containers instead of just a straight air line, smaller bubbls should result in higher/better flow through the filters, etc.

This is the blue grow out tubs i scored for real cheap, test run. I will drain this and plumb the 4 I have together for water changes.

General shot of the fry hatching and raising shelf:

And finally, my 3d printed hinges for the lids. I originally designed and set this up for hte tanks that have breeder boxes attached, as the lids were angled and didnt look neat. But in the end I did this for all tanks as it allows me a small area at the front as a "maintenance panel". The front lid piece is ~50mm so allows me to collect eggs without removing lids, etc.
    "The stuff I buy is a bit pricey however it is as dry as a nuns nasty" - BigDaddyAdo

@Spidy - Will see how this batch goes, else will try a pure RO setup but unsure how this would go for the fish running a 0TDS setup haha. If you eventually are still chasing some and you see pics of the fry here let me know and i'm happy to ship
    "The stuff I buy is a bit pricey however it is as dry as a nuns nasty" - BigDaddyAdo

Hmm Indir, I wonder whether a continuous drip system might be more efficient. Or at least a tap-on to auto-drain for water changes?

Yeah this would be ideal setup for this kind of system. Also larger tanks, etc. But this would be the "dream" for any fry raising setup really Just hard to do in a rental unfortunately. Once I finally build a place with a fish room, this will be the go to for all tanks, not just the fry tanks! haha.

The auto drain setup is a little harder with the critter keepers and shoe boxes, but is possible I guess. Just have to plan it out properly and use smaller tubing than the usual 13+mm used in tanks as it would drain to fast and i recon pull fry through the mesh covering the drain. The fish generally only stay in these critter keepers for up to a week or so. After this I move them to the shoeboxes and than external breeder boxes or fry tanks/tubs SO its a temporary pain haha.

Quote Originally Posted by indir View Post
    @Spidy - Will see how this batch goes, else will try a pure RO setup but unsure how this would go for the fish running a 0TDS setup haha. If you eventually are still chasing some and you see pics of the fry here let me know and i'm happy to ship
    You’ll have to add some salt to remineralise, I ran RODI for my shrimps and used around a teaspoon Red Sea marine salt in 20 liters to get tds right. 0TDS will fluctuate ph rapidly as there is no buffer capacity.

Ah that reminds me, have some DIY mix for the RO somewhere... Need to find it Had 1 ram fry left this morning, it seems to be around middle water column so it might survive.... lol.

Quote Originally Posted by indir View Post
    Ah that reminds me, have some DIY mix for the RO somewhere... Need to find it Had 1 ram fry left this morning, it seems to be around middle water column so it might survive.... lol.
    I hope the little fella makes it, I want more Rams :-)

Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 14222324